turbo busa with a cooling prob!!

03HAYABOOSTA

Registered
i have a 2003 hayabusa with a velocity stage 1 kit. i expected it to run hotter with a turbo but i didnt expect this. if i sit in traffic for maybe 5 mins it will get very hot....almost overheat. another problem with that is my fan comes on so often and runs for so long that when i turn the bike off and try to start it again a few mins later the battery is very low and the bike will crank slow because of the fan comming on so often and for so long. ive checked the coolant and the level is fine. any ideas?????

i know the air fuel mixture is safe. would there be any other things i would notice if i had a blown head gasket? the head was also "o-ringed" when i had the motor built so im really hopping that isnt it. have you ever used engine ice coolant? if u did was there a difference?

My buddy has a Hahn turbo and blew his head gasket. Same exact probs your having but his pressurized the coolant system and was blowing coolant out the overflow. Try a muzzy 6 blade fan, install extra fan, engine ice, richen the map up some. Thats if the headgasket is not blown.

the only reason im trying to avoid installing a 2nd fan is cause the stock single fan comes on so much now it drains the battery big time. i really dont think the head gasket is blown because this thing runs like a champ and once i get moving on the highway the temp gauge drops right back down to normal. have u had any luck with the engine ice and muzzy fan blade?

This one barfed up some coolant after hot lapping @ track.
(not my bike)

cfh1j8mgnjx95ky4t2l.jpg

Engine ICE seems to work great if there are no other problems. Its not a mask if there is an issue heating problems will re-occur. Just FYI..

I have used ice and muzzy blade. when i replaced my head with the V+H head they put the green back in and i havn't had a problem. With the 6 blade fan on a 90degree day still sits a hair below 1/2 in traffic.

thanks for all the info guys. ill try the engine ice and muzzy 6 blade aluminum fan. once i do ill let everyone know how it worked!! lets all hope it does . . . .

ALSO A REMINDER, SIMPLE FACT. How do you get to the traffic. If you open it up and then are cooling down and get stuck it traffic it will get real hot. If the humidity is real high you may want to open the bottom front up a little more and remove your side screens. You will be amazed how much more air will com in.

A fan can stay on all the time and it should not drain down the battery if your charging system is up to par. Sounds like multiple problems and the health of your battery may be one of the issues. It was 109F yesterday here in the desert and my battery is four years old, fan stays on a lot and my battery manages to still keep up.

Your running turbo pistons so you don't have high compression making starting up a problem so it is still pointing to weak battery issues on your startup. The fan is on because the thermostat is telling it to turn on. You say you almost overheat but is this by only looking at your thermo gage? Try to verify the coolant temp and/or engine with a temp gun or some other source. Maybe thermostat is operating funky and you have a weak battery or weak charging system on top of that.

If you have a blown head gasket it will show up as a bigger problem soon enough and you would not have problems only when engine is hot, you would have problems all the time.

Good luck, keep us posted.

its not that there alot of trouble, but they require more maintenance and you will have to work out a few bugs from time to time. ive had my bike turbo'd since 2006 and this has really been my only problem, it doesnt like heat!! and i cant install a 2nd fan because the up-pipe from the turbo blocks the left side of my radiator so im stuck with just one fan.:11zpissed:

I'd say definitely get rid of the stock fan 1st. Problem with them is over time the plastic gets weak from constant temp changes and then the blades just flatten as soon as it turns on and limits additional needed air-flow.:beerchug:

makes me not wana install a turbo... just dont need the trouble... or should i?!!

Stock Gen I bikes don't really like the traffic during the summer. Looks like you got all the basis covered before I got here. Good luck.

Well i just drained and flushed the cooling system and now im going to try Engine Ice. everyone seems to be telling me it works wonders. if the rain ever stops here in nj ill take it for a ride and see how it is. next thing is def the muzzy aluminum blade but i want to make one change at a time and see what works, so the engine ice was cheapest and in stock at the local shop. ill tell everyone how it works in the next few days! thanks for all your info. :beerchug:

Back