overheating

simons38

Registered
can anyone help ? i have just had my hayabusa serviced and now it is overheating !! . the dealer said that it is not his fault ofcourse although he is looking at it now. It is fine when going along, but when stopped in traffic the bike gets real hot, the fan runs but doesnt cool the engine. Any ideas ? cheers

I suggest you do the following -

a) Get the cooling system checked for leaks
b) Put in a Muzzy Alluminium Fan, instead of the stock radiator fan. That should slove your problem.

You can get the fan on http://www.schnitzracing.com

I suggest you do the following -

a) Get the cooling system checked for leaks
b) Put in a Muzzy Alluminium Fan, instead of the stock radiator fan. That should slove your problem.

You can get the fan on http://www.schnitzracing.com
+ 1 with an addition.....

I would also replace the coolant with engine ice. I have done it and there is a noticeable difference in the temp. I'm waiting to do the fan mod this winter, who knows maybe I will not have to....

There might be air in the cooling system. Have the dealer "burp" it. Honestly, I see no reason for Engine Ice or a Muzzy fan. The stock Suzuki system works great!

If it is anew bike and stock don't worry about the Mussy fan just yet. Make sure the fan is coming on when the temp is just a tick over the center. Make sure the dealer purges the system and then fills the radiator. Lots of time the connection to the fan comes un-done.

I have had the overheating problem for over 3 years !!, living in london it originally happened when stuck in traffic - boiled over the lot.

took it to major dealer in enfield who said nowt wrong !! - got it home , sat it stationary on drive - 5 mins needle went up , fan came on but temp did not drop, just kept going into red, and boiled over !! - called dealer who said it was 'normal' behaviour for a high performance bike if not moving - pardon me but what crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

must admit rad full of grit due to lots of london and foreign trips etc. (couldn't afford replacement at this time), tried muzy fan, silkolene pro cool (prolpylene alcohol high spec coolant - recommended on usa web forum), checked conectors , burped rad, refilled 3 times over 3 years.

now on Isle of wight for 2 years - still happened , recently got complete 'new' rad with fan and sensor fitted - from EBAY usa for £180 , just fitted it , and ..................yippee , temp goes up to mid mark, moves past it, fan comes on temp drops, fan stops etc etc !!!!!!!!!! - sorted

not sure what was wrong, but i suspect clogged rad either internal or external grit (making it inefficient) or possibly slow fan motor - who cares now resolved

hope this helps

Had the over heating prob a couple of weeks ago. sitting in trafic. went into the red right before I got out of the mess. Started going and it came right down. Im getting the Muzzy fan, cant hurt, but this has never happened before, I have 5900 miles on the bike now, and the only thing that has been done to the bike is the oil changed. Maybe it was just to hot that day, about 92. who knows???

There might be air in the cooling system.  Have the dealer "burp" it.  Honestly, I see no reason for Engine Ice or a Muzzy fan.  The stock Suzuki system works great!
+1
If the fan comes on just above the halfway mark then it probably has some air in the line. Either burp it or run it hard once and it should take care of it. You may have to do a lot of burping to get all the air out.

How do you "burp" the radiator? Also, "BigBSBusa" said "If the fan comes on just above the halfway mark then it probably has some air in the line." When should the fan come on? Thanks for the info.

How do you "burp" the radiator?  Also, "BigBSBusa" said "If the fan comes on just above the halfway mark then it probably has some air in the line."  When should the fan come on?  Thanks for the info.
Remove the right lower fairing and remove the radiator cap.  There are 2 lines (1 on each side of the bike) that run into the radiator.  Let the bike cool off completely (very important as you can probably imagine) then put your hand around the hose and squeeze.  Air should come out of the radiator and make a burping sound or you will see a bubble pop.  Repeat this process until no air comes out and then do the same to the other line. The fan should come on at the halfway or just above the halfway mark.  If it doesn't come on by then you should check the fan and the temp sensor.

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128362598 -->

Back