If you had to choose between...

M1's or Pilot Powers....
smile.gif

Lots of good advice above.

On those summaries Tufbusa posted,

Pilot Powers
but they are slightly unsettled in the transition period----------There was a lot of movement - not spinning, just flexing under load. I didn't feel in danger - they just let you know where they are. [/QUOTE]

I don't think id want my tire flexing on me like that, ive felt the PPs and they are very soft, the casing is soft too.
They dont strike me as a very solid tire for such a brute machine as the Busa.

014s
  The bike is easy to muscle around on these but at high speed you have to let the bike settle because they feel on a bit of a knife edge.
[/QUOTE]

And I dont know exactly what he means here but I hope I dont have any issues with the 014s at speed.

These feel like the compound is actually harder than the stock tire, yet it is supposed to grip better...the casings are tough too.  

After reading those summaries I will probably try an M1 next if I am not happy with the 014s.

Justin , what sort of mileage do you get out of your M1s? Who all sells the P-spec M1s online?

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118542069 -->

M1's, hands down. I've tried 056 stock, diablo corsa's and now two sets of M1's. I can buy the sportecs local at the same price as on line (202 a set) and they perform flawlessly. For the same tire, they sure won't come off the price of the corsa's, rear alone is $166. Plus, the sportechs look great. By the way, neither of my rear sportecs have been "p" spec, and I ride the a** out of them. Looks like another way to get an extra $ out of a guy to me.

How far can you run the tire down, before it's dangerous?? Got stuck in the rain a couple of times (not by choice)

I'll run my tires down to the wear indicator and then can em'. No pint in tempting fate and I like knowing my rubber is up to whatever I am in the mood for.

So Toronto, I'd say watch your wear indicators and replace promptly.

I run Metzler M-1's and I am very pleased, wet or dry they are just an all around well thought out and balanced tire, lots of feedback and predictable talkative nature.
thumbs-up.gif

I hate Dunlops cause they have allwas felt numb, and never really told me anything on my other bikes, the Newer Bridgstones are pretty cool, I like the BT010's and I am sure the 014 is even better. But I am sticking with Metzler because it is just a great all around Busa tire.

Sportec M1's and Diablos are the exact same tire, only difference is tread pattern.  No foolin...  

I would say Metzler all day.  Stable, good feedback and decent wearing.  Dunlops big bonus is that they are cheap.
So, then if the tires were the same price it would definatley be the metzler, I was thinking about the pilot powers which are also the same price but I have heard bad things about premature center wear and where I live I do alot of straight up riding but I still get in the twisties when possible. I went ahead and got the m1 cuz a friend of mine had the 208's on his bike and he hates 'em I have another friend with a gixxer 1k and he swears by the metzler so I guess time will tell.
Thanks all,
Jay
OMG dood, the metzlers will wear out way faster than the pilots. I got about 1600 out of my rear M1, good tire, sticky as gum, but wears out faster than anything ive ever ridden, no lie bro.

Spend the cash, get the powers, 208s suck in the twisties IMO. If you don't care about twisties, I'd get 208s for treadwear.

This is what Performance Bikes magizine had to say about tires:

Metzeler M-1:
Close relation to the Diablo, with similar characteristics!
Drive and grip out of turns felt a little compromised but they're totally predictable. Work with the suspension and don't transmit bumps. You feel in control and have the confidence to brake and turn-in.
  They're stable when leant right over and you feel very connected with the front tire. Carrying lots of corner speed doesn't unsettle the bike.  Although they don't feel razor sharp, you're still able to set good lap times. It requires effort to go from left to right - but they're so stable it's never a problem.
Confidence rating - five stars!

Dunlop D208:
As stock fitment on the ZX-12R these cope with 154 bhp
  I hnever struggled exiting bends because there's plenty of grip - they didn't move about at all. They feel neutral, well balanced and there's a very accepable roll-in when changing directions. There's plenty of feel under braking and you can turn-in with the brakes trailing. The bike lets you do it and feels good.
  Pushing it on the fast left hander, the front tended to tuck. They're stable under acceleration and there's no twitching from the bars. I'd guess thes are a race tire with road grip?
Confidence rating - three stars

Michelin Pilot Power:
Boasts a soft compound with a decent lifespan
  Flicking from left to right is easy and doesn't require much effort - but they are slightly unsettled in the transition period. They're a bit on the harsh side over bumps, which is transmitted through to the chassis. That knocked my confidence to bury it into corners with the brakes on.
  There was a lot of movement - not spinning, just flexing under load. I didn't feel in danger - they just let you know where they are.
Confidence rating - four stars

Bridgestone BT014
Fitted as standard to many sports bikes - a safe bet
  A  bit on the harsh side - if I didn' know better I'd say they had been inflated to 50 psi. Bumps were transmitted straight to my arse and arms. You can brake hard but the bumps mean you have to think about it.
  I like the way they turn-in, though - they're very precise. They'd be millimetre perfect on smooth roads. Grip is good because there's no movement, and that gives you confidence. The bike is easy to muscle around on these but at high speed you have to let the bike settle because they feel on a bit of a knife edge.
Cofidence rating - four star

I run the 14's and I love them! I'm not sure why any street rider wishing to get decent mileage from a sticky tire would not buy the latest technology with a dual compound tire?
Magazines are made to be bought. All I have to say.

Go with the "real world" advice on this board before taking a mags word man.

Metzeler M-1:
Drive and grip out of turns felt a little compromised but they're totally predictable. Work with the suspension and don't transmit bumps. You feel in control and have the confidence to brake and turn-in.
  They're stable when leant right over and you feel very connected with the front tire. Carrying lots of corner speed doesn't unsettle the bike.  Although they don't feel razor sharp, you're still able to set good lap times. It requires effort to go from left to right - but they're so stable it's never a problem.

Dunlop D208:
  I hnever struggled exiting bends because there's plenty of grip - they didn't move about at all. They feel neutral, well balanced and there's a very accepable roll-in when changing directions. There's plenty of feel under braking and you can turn-in with the brakes trailing. The bike lets you do it and feels good.
  Pushing it on the fast left hander, the front tended to tuck. They're stable under acceleration and there's no twitching from the bars. I'd guess thes are a race tire with road grip?

Michelin Pilot Power:
  Flicking from left to right is easy and doesn't require much effort - but they are slightly unsettled in the transition period. They're a bit on the harsh side over bumps, which is transmitted through to the chassis. That knocked my confidence to bury it into corners with the brakes on.
  There was a lot of movement - not spinning, just flexing under load. I didn't feel in danger - they just let you know where they are.

Bridgestone BT014
  A  bit on the harsh side - if I didn' know better I'd say they had been inflated to 50 psi. Bumps were transmitted straight to my arse and arms. You can brake hard but the bumps mean you have to think about it.
  I like the way they turn-in, though - they're very precise. They'd be millimetre perfect on smooth roads. Grip is good because there's no movement, and that gives you confidence. The bike is easy to muscle around on these but at high speed you have to let the bike settle because they feel on a bit of a knife edge.

I run the 14's and I love them! I'm not sure why any street rider wishing to get decent mileage from a sticky tire would not buy the latest technology with a dual compound tire?
Magazines are made to be bought.  All I have to say.

Have you tried all of these tires more than once? How many track days a year do you get in? Just curious is all.

Metzeler M-1:

Dunlop D208:

Michelin Pilot Power:

Bridgestone BT014

Magazines are made to be bought.  All I have to say.

Have you tried all of these tires more than once?  How many track days a year do you get in?  Just curious is all.
Yes, I have tried each of these tires in the past 18 months. No track days, I am overseas. Street riding only, 80% twisties.

I would rank these 4 tires in this order:
Based upon grip, profile, warm up time, and treadwear.

Michelin
Bridgestone
Metzler
Dunlop

My opinion only, some folks get upset when you start slamming their favorite tire ya know?

moondog Posted on June 11 2005,15:03
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M1's, hands down. I've tried 056 stock, diablo corsa's and now two sets of M1's. I can buy the sportecs local at the same price as on line (202 a set) and they perform flawlessly. For the same tire, they sure won't come off the price of the corsa's, rear alone is $166. Plus, the sportechs look great. By the way, neither of my rear sportecs have been "p" spec, and I ride the a** out of them. Looks like another way to get an extra $ out of a guy to me. [/QUOTE]

Hey Moondog, if you're interested I found a guy where you can get the DC's for $153.00 ($13 cheaper).  Heres a quote he made from another site with his number and email.

Interesting article. I have always used the SC's (DOTs) at the track but from reading the article I will definitely give the Diablo Corsas a shot.

By the way, I can get the DC's at my shop for $280.32 a set

Front: $127.30
Rear: $153.02

Don't have a site yet but here's my email: cycle_supply@msn.com
(828) 665-6922[/QUOTE]

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118638951 -->

Back