If you had to choose between...

JCinTX

Registered
I was just wondering if you guys and gals had to choose between the metzler m1 and the dunlop 208 which would you choose and why?
Thanks,
Jay

i'd spend the extra 10$ and go with pirelli diablo..

if thats not an option.. i had several sets of dunlops.. and had no problems.. some people say they don't warm up as quickly.. but uh... do you pull out of your driveway straight on to twisties?

have metzelers M1's on the little ducati.. can't wait to get rid of them. .. just don't like them at all.

Anything aside from the 208's. The only thing that I did like about them was it was very easy to predict when they were gonna break traction. Pretty much constantly. They took forever to warm up and compared to other tires that I have used inspired very little confidence.
Personal choice would be Pilot Powers. Best I have found for my style of riding so far.

M1's in an instant! havn't riden the others and don't need to. They grip well, warm up quickly and inspire confidence in the corners, far better than stock. Another benefit the (P) spec are the only ones that are made specifically for the Haybusa and have an extra layer of carcass in them for the high speed stability. They also match the stock width perfectly. The factory is a 190 but specs out to a 198. The (P)spec is the same width at 198. If you get the regular M1's or the Dunlops the 190 will actually be 190, or pretty close. So when you see people going to a 200 on the Busa from a factory tire they are not adding any width.
smile.gif

Sportec M1's and Diablos are the exact same tire, only difference is tread pattern. No foolin...

I would say Metzler all day. Stable, good feedback and decent wearing. Dunlops big bonus is that they are cheap.

Sportec M1's and Diablos are the exact same tire, only difference is tread pattern.  No foolin...  

I would say Metzler all day.  Stable, good feedback and decent wearing.  Dunlops big bonus is that they are cheap.
So, then if the tires were the same price it would definatley be the metzler, I was thinking about the pilot powers which are also the same price but I have heard bad things about premature center wear and where I live I do alot of straight up riding but I still get in the twisties when possible. I went ahead and got the m1 cuz a friend of mine had the 208's on his bike and he hates 'em I have another friend with a gixxer 1k and he swears by the metzler so I guess time will tell.
Thanks all,
Jay

I have had no luck with Metzlers. Always cupped and had very odd tread wear. I have Dunlop 208s and they wear nice, grip well, but they do take a while to warm up. I left work at midnight tonight and pulled out of my parking space easy and gave the R1 half throttle and started to lean torwards the exit and the tire just slid right out from under me. Keep in mind it was blacktop and there was some dew on the ground but still. The R1 has no torque and it was breaking loose big time when cold. After about 5 miles though I had no problems.

Have had no problems with premature center wear on my Powers. Hell, they even grip great in the rain with minimal warm up time. I would have to say one of the best street tires out there right now.

M1- no doubt. I tried two sets of 208s on my bike. Should have stopped at the first set. Love my Sport Tecs.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116755567 -->

I'd say screw both of em and buy a brand spanking new set of pilot powers baby! Pure bliss
That's what I'm talking about! I'm never going back to anything!
I'm happy with my M1's, but I may have to try a set of Powers. Tried a set of Pilot HPX and chewed 'em up & spit 'em out way too fast. They were great tires though. I am on set number 11 on my Busa now. Rest assured, I have compared one or two different tires on the beast.

While I have never run a set of M1's. I would say go with the M1's. All of my other riding buddies use the M1 are confident with the tires. I am bridgestone and pirelli user. Just purchased a set of pilot powers that will go on the marchesini's.

This is what Performance Bikes magizine had to say about tires:

Metzeler M-1:
Close relation to the Diablo, with similar characteristics!
Drive and grip out of turns felt a little compromised but they're totally predictable. Work with the suspension and don't transmit bumps. You feel in control and have the confidence to brake and turn-in.
They're stable when leant right over and you feel very connected with the front tire. Carrying lots of corner speed doesn't unsettle the bike. Although they don't feel razor sharp, you're still able to set good lap times. It requires effort to go from left to right - but they're so stable it's never a problem.
Confidence rating - five stars!

Dunlop D208:
As stock fitment on the ZX-12R these cope with 154 bhp
I hnever struggled exiting bends because there's plenty of grip - they didn't move about at all. They feel neutral, well balanced and there's a very accepable roll-in when changing directions. There's plenty of feel under braking and you can turn-in with the brakes trailing. The bike lets you do it and feels good.
Pushing it on the fast left hander, the front tended to tuck. They're stable under acceleration and there's no twitching from the bars. I'd guess thes are a race tire with road grip?
Confidence rating - three stars

Michelin Pilot Power:
Boasts a soft compound with a decent lifespan
Flicking from left to right is easy and doesn't require much effort - but they are slightly unsettled in the transition period. They're a bit on the harsh side over bumps, which is transmitted through to the chassis. That knocked my confidence to bury it into corners with the brakes on.
There was a lot of movement - not spinning, just flexing under load. I didn't feel in danger - they just let you know where they are.
Confidence rating - four stars

Bridgestone BT014
Fitted as standard to many sports bikes - a safe bet
A bit on the harsh side - if I didn' know better I'd say they had been inflated to 50 psi. Bumps were transmitted straight to my arse and arms. You can brake hard but the bumps mean you have to think about it.
I like the way they turn-in, though - they're very precise. They'd be millimetre perfect on smooth roads. Grip is good because there's no movement, and that gives you confidence. The bike is easy to muscle around on these but at high speed you have to let the bike settle because they feel on a bit of a knife edge.
Cofidence rating - four star

I run the 14's and I love them! I'm not sure why any street rider wishing to get decent mileage from a sticky tire would not buy the latest technology with a dual compound tire?

M1's in an instant! havn't riden the others and don't need to. They grip well, warm up quickly and inspire confidence in the corners, far better than stock. Another benefit the (P) spec are the only ones that are made specifically for the Haybusa and have an extra layer of carcass in them for the high speed stability. They also match the stock width perfectly. The factory is a 190 but specs out to a 198. The (P)spec is the same width at 198. If you get the regular M1's or the Dunlops the 190 will actually be 190, or pretty close. So when you see people going to a 200 on the Busa from a factory tire they are not adding any width.
smile.gif
?? Why would a 190 be a 198?? (I know tires vary in size) But that seems alot

Thanks for letting us know about the "p" and what it is all about, I was wondering about it, what other brands make a "p" or Hayabusa specific tire?

Tufbusa, what pressures are you running your 014s at for everyday use?

Just got my 014s, I am looking forward to trying them out.
smile.gif

Back