I think I’m screwed!

DSC_3617.JPG

I was looking at the same picture in my book. To me it looks like the right one shows it going to touch the head of the bolt. Since the piece is broke I can’t verify but from what I remember there wasn’t enough clearance for the shims inside the frame knuckle.

Since the book doesn’t show the frame mounting point it’s somewhat unclear.

These pictures are how it broke. Those are not washers but machined shims. They go inside the mounts on left / right of knuckle.
So with out them you over tightened / stressed the cast mounts.
This is also what I suspected back at the start of the thread . . . post no. #14

"When reinstalling the dog bone, did you leave the shims out?
If you did and over torqued the bolt then that could cause the break in the lug casting, possibly. "

I think this is the cause, and it was staring us in the face the whole time.
Incorrect reassembly of components and also leaving parts out can very often lead to disastrous consequences. I've seen it over and over again in the auto trade.
We live and we learn, some are very hard and expensive lessons unfortunately :confused:

If you bought a brand new car, changed the wheels and the engine locked up would you take it to the dealer for a warranty claim? Of course you would. Would you put the stock wheels back on before you did? Maybe.... but you'd likely have a better chance of getting warranty work if you did.
His mods didn't cause the problem, returning it to stock is simply a way to avoid unnecessary questions about unrelated issues.

“His mods didn’t cause the problem...”?
You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, this is not a first.

So the concept of being dishonest will make more sense to you Mr Brown, we’ll use your own analogy but with a more relevant problem actually correlated with it.

“If you bought a brand new car, changed the wheels and the engine locked up shock mounting bosses snapped off the lower control arm from improper installation and grinding a few things down so they’d fit, would you take it to the dealer for a warranty claim?”

Of course you wouldn’t...
To hear you tell it, he just bought the bike, turned the key and the front fell off.

So the concept of being dishonest will make more sense to you Mr Brown, we’ll use your own analogy but with a more relevant problem actually correlated with it.

“If you bought a brand new car, changed the wheels and the engine locked up shock mounting bosses snapped off the lower control arm from improper installation and grinding a few things down so they’d fit, would you take it to the dealer for a warranty claim?”

To hear you tell it, he just bought the bike, turned the key and the front fell off.
:popcorn:

OP, it’s a stupid tax, paid plenty of them myself over the years. Figure out the best way to fix it, pay up and move on...

I’m not trying to pull a fast one on the dealer. But I honestly can’t figure out what would cause this. The dog bones are just like any other dog bone except they’re slightly longer. The cushion lever will only fit one direction and I verified it matches the factory way. All bolts were torqued exactly to factory ft. lbs.

The cushion lever has very tight tolerances and the bolts fit precisely.

I’m racking my brain trying to figure it out. Likely never will know for sure.

No one or nearly no one I should say, thinks your trying to pull a 'fast one', at least not in the context that the phrase is usually used in. Unfortunately as we all know, there are always those who feel the need to, unnecessarily, point out the obvious, that being you've damaged your bike and are simply looking for cost effective advice, instead of keeping their less than helpful opinions to themselves. In my experience, those types of jobsworths complain the loudest and are the first to resort to the very thing their getting moralistic about.

kiwi nailed it.... its almost like he does this for a living!!!! to the OP... it sucks, but it happened... on a brand new bike.... those amazing big tire kits are an endless pond of problems it seems...….. it can propbably be welded.... but if it were me, I would never feel comfortable riding it hard ever again.... I would have to get a new frame and have peace of mind.

So you can diagnose what caused the frame to break from a couple of pictures and an internet description? You're good...you should work for a dealer. And you seem to have the moral high ground covered as well, it must be very satisfying pointing out how others are being dishonest from your ivory tower.
It's not your job to pass character judgement on actions or recommendations, nor is it your place to determine causality for the problem at hand. I'll make it as simple as I can for you, the grinding didn't cause the break, and while the improper installation may have, that's for the dealer to determine. I offered my advice because of my experience in the field. Either the OP will follow it, or he won't. Have a great day.

This is also what I suspected back at the start of the thread . . . post no. #14

"When reinstalling the dog bone, did you leave the shims out?
If you did and over torqued the bolt then that could cause the break in the lug casting, possibly. "

I think this is the cause, and it was staring us in the face the whole time.
Incorrect reassembly of components and also leaving parts out can very often lead to disastrous consequences. I've seen it over and over again in the auto trade.
We live and we learn, some are very hard and expensive lessons unfortunately :confused:
Good catch, he thought he reassembled it correctly, when it appears he did not.

If your options of insurance etc. is now compromised , I think you are in a bit of luck when it comes to talented welders over in the US . You need to just find yourself a good recommended one , they should be able to steel dowel / screw / pin it internally , weld it and weld extra bracing .

I think we all had the right intentions and I appreciate the input from everyone. Once I figure out the solution, I'll keep everyone posted.

It's definitely a lesson learned. The last thing I wanted is to get this corrected and then have it happen again; so that's a plus.

Thank you all for input and hopefully I can get this moving forward in the coming days/weeks....

Back