I think I’m screwed!

Fredyp33

Registered
I’m 95% finished with putting on the new 240 swingarm. Took it for a quick spin last night and noticed the suspension was too stiff. I’m in the process of taking the shock out to lighten the pre-load and then I see this. I don’t know what would cause this. I torqued the bolt down to factory spec. The shock is stiff but not fully rigid.

Hell I’ve seen some hayabusa with the shock removed and a solid pipe in its place to make it a rigid ride.

It’s a brand new bike. Can this be re-welded? Could it be defective from factory?

I’m in shock at the moment...

25D34D5E-8A65-42D2-801C-D7B78B2B5228.jpeg

0646D1A4-383C-4627-AA88-17E33C852A8D.jpeg

Yes it’s a 2019 and only two months old. But I’ve already done the frame grind to make room for the chain. I’m worried that’ll instantly reject it even though it’s not connected.

C484F478-3811-44F0-B598-7E46A6238DFD.jpeg

Likely time to put you stock stuff back on . Pretend you did nothing , and pray insurance or Dealer gets it handled . Likely you made a mistake somewhere , and just dont realize it . Not trying to beat you up on it as this does suck . However the castings look very good with no larger air pockets .

Year of bike ?

It’s a 2019. If I put it to stock and take it in and act stupid, I’m sure they’ll notice the frame grind and it’ll ultimately look worse.

And I’m not worried about the 149mph tire. I won’t be going that fast (especially now!)

When you say plausible deniability. I’m assuming you’re in agreement with me that it’ll look worse for me if they catch it?

Sorry to see.
Imo I'd be tempted to put it back to stock and take it back to the dealer and see what they say and say nowt unless necessary. You never know. If that casting is the same material as the headstock of the frame, it can be welded. I had a head on accident and the nose cone bracket punched two holes straight through the cast alloy? headstock. Local mechanic welded the lugs back on.
Good luck with it.

When reinstalling the dog bone, did you leave the shims out?
If you did and over torqued the bolt then that could cause the break in the lug casting, possibly.
The dealer's technician or insurance assessor that examines it will most likely see the grinding marks from your chain clearance work, and that will be the end of any warranty or insurance claim I'm thinking.
They will also likely notice the marks on the bolt and nuts hex heads from spanners and sockets.
Welding the lug back in place will end up being the route to take for a permanent repair.

All shims are in place. The shock was removed to adjust stiffness after compressing the spring with tie downs. So it’s very clean. The frame grind is relatively clean and painted to closely match. To the untrained eye you would never know it’s been ground. But I’m sure the technicians are going to review it in detail as they’ll be stumped and trying to find out the reason it failed as well.

pretty sure its aluminum. Personally I would not rock a weld on particular part. did it break at the grind? the dealer can't just say you have a grind on the frame warranty void. it's up to them to prove cause and effect.

I’m with the rest of the guys on the put back to stock and see what they say. From your “got a ‘19” thread I noticed when you first posted the pictures, the loading ramp looked like the setup at sport cycles in rockingham. If I’m correct and their service department is as great as their sales department, they should be able to assist you. I’ve said it 100 times before, but I rented a truck and drove to them from Florida to get my concours14, because of their professionalism and customer service. Best buying experience I’ve had. The sooner you take it in, the better.

I did buy it from a Sport Cycles. Excellent service and I actually dealt directly with the owner. I’m thinking about putting it back stock and taking it to dealer and mentioning that I started a swingarm switch. I honestly can’t figure out anything I could have done wrong. If they do warranty claim it out I don’t want them taking the 240 arm and wheel.

Back