Settin up your suspension

After reading your example a few more times, I think maybe what you are saying is to take the rider sag, subtract that number from the total amount of travel, divide by two to reach the preferred rider sag target?

Am I close?

Would that equation be used for a soft cadilac ride or a performance ride?

My advice...

If you dont know what you are doing... get someone who does to set it up. Unless you understand what compression and damping and preload are, and how to feel what each is doing, all you'll end up doing is either being lucky and making it feel better, or make it worse without realising it.

My advise is to try and work out what is happening that you dont like (i.e. the fork dives under breaking or your finding the rear lifting and getting "nervous" under heavy braking), then you can explain this to someone who understands what your issue is, rather than a click here click there approach. I paid a suspension expert to set my VFR up - it was brilliant afterwards. I'd do the same now - except i cant really say i have a problem with how my bike handles.

Jza

My advice...

If you dont know what you are doing... get someone who does to set it up. Unless you understand what compression and damping and preload are, and how to feel what each is doing, all you'll end up doing is either being lucky and making it feel better, or make it worse without realising it.

My advise is to try and work out what is happening that you dont like (i.e. the fork dives under breaking or your finding the rear lifting and getting "nervous" under heavy braking), then you can explain this to someone who understands what your issue is, rather than a click here click there approach. I paid a suspension expert to set my VFR up - it was brilliant afterwards. I'd do the same now - except i cant really say i have a problem with how my bike handles.

Jza
Thanks i think i will try this. I love the way it handles in curves but the bumps just kill's my arms and my back. Thanks for the advice, Doug

Hi MoreBoost
We also have bumpy roads and I found the Busa 08 suspension too hard.
I weigh 230 lbs and have added +3 clicks on the damping and +1 on the rebound. (Above standard settings)

The Bike rides softer and handles the short bumps better.
I find no ill effects in handeling and can open up on the hi-way.
Also the bike does not bottom out even with my wife that ups the weight to 290 pounds.

Its easy enough to set the suspension back to standard for track days.

Hope this helps.

Pine

Back