I need a long lasting tire.

bigdaddy79

Registered
I'm a big dude and i need a heavy duty tire so I don't have to buy new tires every four months. Any suggestions please??

I don't know what style of riding you do, but I put Michelin Pilot Road 3s on near the beginning of this season. I have almost 5000 miles on them and they look practically new. I have maybe another month of riding this season, and expect these to last through this and the next season as well. Not only do I like the way they are wearing, I really like how they feel. Here in the PacNW where it's known to get wet at times, these tires inspire confidence even in the soup.

I'm not a track guy, I mostly use my bike for commuting and some touring on the weekends. I'm certainly not the biggest guy here, but at 6'4 270lbs, I'm nowhere near the smallest.

I've burned through many other tires; Shinkos, Dunlops and Bridgestones. The Michelins aren't as cheap as the Shinkos, don't stick as well as the Dunlops, and are all around better than the Bridgestones. These tires have outlasted them all. In my opinion they are a great compromise between performance and endurance.

One note, when these tires heat up -- and I mean hot,100+ temps & aggressive road carving -- they start to feel a little greasy. I wasn't as confident in them there as I am elsewhere. If you are planning on tearing up the track, or chasing a roadrunner through the twisty canyons of the desert southwest at the height of summer, these might not be the tires for you. This being said, it was only when I was hanging off the bike that I lost some degree of confidence. Aside from that, the PR3s have performed flawlessly.

--Sky

I have been running Pirelli Angel ST's and they give me great mileage this is my 3rd set and I have just bought the new Angel GT's that have a harder compound through the middle of the tire that will only increase the life of the tire. I can not give a report on the new one's as i have not fitted them on yet will get a few more miles out of the old one first.

I have very good luck with my Avons. Best mileage ever. Easily twice as much as any of my previous choices and I have plenty of tread left over still. I can tell you my bike ate a Metzler up in like 1.8K miles.

I tried a Shinko in a pinch. Mileage sucked but I must say it was surprisingly good in the corners.

Idk? I run Metzeler sporttech M3's and they are hands down the best performing tire I've ever owned. I easily got 5k miles out of my last rear tire and it held up well in rain, sun, and twisties. I ride mostly in PA and OH so I face all types of heat, cold, humidity, etc.

Look at the tires that are classified as Sport Touring tires.

Avon ST's I've got are a tri-compound tire and the middle is the hardes. Likely two & half sets a year and traveling 13,000 miles per season.

Michelin Pilot Road 3 will last, without going too far towards a touring tyre.
Personally, I prefer to run a tyre that's in keeping with the style in which Mr Suzuki intended the Busa...so sporty tyres that wear a little faster I can live with. To each their own I suppose.

Has anyone tried the new Avon Storm 3D X-M tires?
High performance plus extended mileage.

"Storm 3D X-M - a sports-touring tyre that combines the performance of the Storm Ultra tyre with the increased longevity demanded by those who use their bikes for business as well as pleasure. The new tyre takes the unique technology found in the 3D Ultra sports tyre family and uses it to create a sports-touring tyre which also delivers higher mileage. The Storm 3D X-M features interlocking three-dimensional points hidden in the tyre's smallest grooves, which improve stability, grip and warm-up times, while limiting tread flex. These latest advances in tyre technology are married to a high-performance single and multi-compound silica-rich tread which enhances wet grip. The Storm 3D X-M gives superb handling and stability characteristics which are essential on today's sport touring bikes such as the FJR1300 and K1200 and is great for Hayabusa riders who want more mileage. It can also transform the performance of older model hyperbikes, such as BMW's K1300 series and Honda's Super Blackbird.
•High performance plus extended mileage
•The X-M version will deliver 15%-20% extra mileage compared to the current Storm range
•Interlocking three dimensional points hidden in the sipes to improve stability and grip, limit tread flex and allow the tyre to warm up quickly (3D Sipes)
•High performance single and multi-compound super rich silica tread enhances wet grip (SRS)
•Superb handling and stability characteristics
•Typical fitments: Suzuki Hayabusa, Honda Blackbird, Kawasaki GTR1400, Suzuki GSX1400"

I have the Storm 2 Ultra's on my Busa. Love them. I got good miles & good performance out of them. Time for another set now. I was wondering about the 3D X-M too. The other thing is that I went from a 190 to 200 on the rear. I'm not sure if Avon have the 3D's in a 200. I'll probably just get another set of the Storm 2.

It has taken a year but I just got 14K on a set of Michelin PR3s. I ride hard and haven't had any issues in the corners.

It has taken a year but I just got 14K on a set of Michelin PR3s. I ride hard and haven't had any issues in the corners.

That is good news. I bought the PR3's based partly on reading this thread. So is it time to replace them at 14k or do you still have tread left?

I managed to get 7,000 miles out of the 2CT. I'm running Pilot Roads now, so I figure they'll last the life of the bike =)

I have the storm 3 D great tyres don't know how long they last as I've only done 1k on them top class tyre sticks well in the corners it's a tyre they recommend for the busa :thumbsup:

That is good news. I bought the PR3's based partly on reading this thread. So is it time to replace them at 14k or do you still have tread left?
I was not showing cord, but I was riding in the mountains and felt like I needed to have a better rear tire. Need to order the front soon.

In the uk, Michelin have discontinued the pr3 in a 190/200 rear in favour of the pr4. Such a shame as the pr4 is more expensive. I got 6k out of the rear and never had an issue

Back