I lost my two babies yesterday

luvmybusa

Donating Member
Registered
I am absolutely heartbroken. I am finishing my senior year in college and I have two dogs who stay at home with my mom and brother because I can't have them at my apartment. I made sure to go home every weekend to be with them, take them to do the dog park, whatever they needed, I was there for.

My brother would take them out every morning before he goes to work so that they could do their business. The way our backyard is setup is that we have about 100 feet of grass then there is a wood line and approximately 20 yards into the woods, there is train tracks that run through.

Daisy and Duke were inseperable. Daisy is ALMOST 2 and Duke I just got this summer, he turned 8 months old today actually which has me in tears as I'm typing. When we brought Duke home, Daisy immediately took him under her wing and became like a mother to him. If Daisy went to lay down, Duke would come over and lay right on top of her just so that they could be touching.

This next part is going to be tough to type.

I get a call yesterday morning from my brother and he is absolutely hysterical. My mother was just diagnosed with stomach cancer and she also has a deadly infection in her lungs, i forget the name of it. Well my first thought is that something was seriously wrong with mom.

I get him to calm down for a second and he says "Mike, I killed your dogs." My heart just sank. I asked him what he was talking about. He tells me that he took them out as usual and while they were out there, Daisy and Duke took off after in animal in the woods (which they KNOW that they're not supposed to do). He went inside to get some treats to try and get them to come back. When it wasn't working, he went walkin through the woods in the direction they had went. He told me when he got to the tracks, he could see something laying inbetween the tracks down a ways. He said there it was too small to be either of the dogs and he started to turn back. He told me that something made him turn back around to check just in case. When he walked closer, he could see that it was Duke laying between the tracks and he saw Daisy about 15 feet of to the side laying down as well. He yelled at them thinking that they were just being stubborn. Well when he went to grab Duke, he saw the blood and the damage to his body. As he was sitting there trying to get Duke to respond, he heard a train coming and grabbed Duke and brought him over by Daisy. It hit him at that point that they had both been struck by a train and they were both dead.

He was an absolute wreck when he was on the phone with me and he didn't know what to do. When I got him to calm down, I told him to just go inside and calm down and that I was on my way home. As soon as we hung up, I lost it.

I got home to find my brother outside in the snow with the dogs. He had carried both of the 50lb dogs over 200 yards back to the house. He was just crying his eyes out and when I reached out to hug him, he just kept saying that he killed my dogs. I tried to tell him that it wasn't his fault but he won't take the blame off of himself.

I can't even describe how my heart just hurts. Those dogs were everything to me. I woke up almost every hour last night because I could not stop dreaming about them. I feel empty. Just add this to the list of sh!tty things that has happened to me and my family in '08. I can't wait for this year to end. This just sucks.

file 015.jpg

file 041.jpg

file 109.jpg

ya 023.jpg

Sorry for your loss. I have a 12 year old lab that is my girl and I can't imagine the day that she is gone.

Those were taken when I first got Duke. He was sooo small. I'll have to post up some more recent pics of those two. Duke got so big. God I'm going to miss those dogs.

man.. I am sooo sorry..

I am a big animal lover.. we have 3 dogs. and to our family they ARE our family..

Mike, I am so sorry. If I can do anything let me know please. I am crying myself now. I adored those kids. I did not have them very long but they grabbed me in the time they were with me also. Give me a call when you feel up to it. I am so sorry. How is Lys taking it?
Again, I am so sorry, if I can do anything. Call me bro'

man.. that is just terrible! i am so sorry about the loss of your dogs! i know you are heartbroken. i just can't believe that train made it the same time your dogs were there! what a terrible accident. sometimes things are not fair in life and things happens for a reason that we have no control over it. just be strong and make sure your brother is doing ok and take care of your mom.
good luck to you!

Oh man, that brings tears to my eyes. Sorry to hear about that. It's amazing the attachment you can have for a pet/pets and very sad when that attachment is broken.

Oh my gosh, what a horrible thing to happen! :(

I'm SOOOO sorry...that's just tough to fathom...I'm so sorry for your loss and I know your brother is just beside himself :down:

Thank you everyone. You guys help more than you may realize.

You're right Kevin, there was just something special about those dogs. They had the same effect on everyone who was lucky enough to meet them.

Shawnski: I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the situation. It's just way too much to think about how it all happened. Why did my dogs have to be attached at the hip? Why did Daisy have to be so stubborn and run off when she knows that she isn't supposed to? Why did they have to walk on those tracks?!?!?! I'm just glad that it went fast for them. And in true fashion, they went out together. They're amongst angels now and I know that they're watching over me. (it sure is hard trying to see the key board with your eyes all teared up).

I just feel so bad for my brother. He was hit by a car when he was younger. Just a few years back, our house had caught fire due to a short in the fuse box. My brother was the only one home with our dog who we ended up losing...not to the fire but because no one would take her in while we were placed in a hotel until we could find a new place.And now this happens to him. What else is gonna happen to this kid?

Last edited:
What a horrible accident. I have tears in my eyes after reading this. So sorry for your loss....

Sorry for the loss. Go get a book called "Rescuing Sprite" by Mark Levin. It is a great book that will help with your emotions.

I am very sorry for your loss. I have 2 Pit Bulls as well, my male is light fawn as well. You & your whole family are in my prayers. Know that they are in a better place together waiting for their master to eventually join them.

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your loss. I have 2 Pit Bulls as well, my male is light fawn as well. You & your whole family are in my prayers. Know that they are in a better place together waiting for their master to eventually join them.

you know, I keep trying to tell myself that but every time I do, I just can't hold back the tears. Please give your pups a hug for me. I would do anything to hug mine just one more time.

I cannot image your loss or the pain your brother is feeling - like Michael said, our pups are our kids. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Enjoy the happy memories and know your lives would not be the same if you had never had them. Healing hearts come only with time - hopefully you and your brother will be able to help each other through the sadness. I am truly sorry and saddened by your loss.

Back