I let a friend ride Caesar...

That's too funny Michelle!!! I only let Shawn ride my bike. He's a RIDER and I trust him with Dex... even in the twisties. We have traded bikes (he rides the ZX12) when out riding and both rode the hell outta eachothers bikes... It was fun, we stopped, compared notes and then went back to our babies... Only him and my mechanic are allowed to touch Dex.....

When my friends or riding buddies say, "hey, let me check out your bike" I look at em like they have a massive booger hanging outta their nose. The look says it all and they don't usually ask again. Even if they can afford to fix it if they wreck it, money issues always ruin friendships so I don't even wanna go there... Dex is just too precious to give up to just anyone....

Good story.... Your Harley buddy will always look at you now with a new found respect!!!

YOU GO GIRL!!

Lo

...he's another Harley guy...I'm trying to convert them, guys, but they just limp away like kicked puppies!

Raider & stkr00 - I really don't think my Road King riding friend will ever get on it again...I think he scared himself!  :D
Yeah, that's because Hardley riders are in it for the looks, not the power & speed. (sorry stkr, ;) ) If they twist the wrist and it does anything more than make damned noise it scares the crap out of 'em! Hahahahahahahaha... :laugh:
This is very true. The lead man at my side job is a Hardley fanatic. His last name is Davidson and yes he named his son Harley! :alcoholic:
Whe I first got the Busa (to replace my stolen Kat) he said, why didn't you get a bike that has style? I guess my response was sless than accomadating. Now whenever I ride the Busa into the shop he makes a deragatory comment.

His last one was, "I'd never own one of those even for fifety bucks, I wouldn't even ride one if you paid me!" To which I responded, "No you probably shouldn't, it would be like sleeping with a super model, then having to go back home to your old, ragged out, biker girlfriend."

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Keep riding!

This is very true.  The lead man at my side job is a Hardley fanatic.  His last name is Davidson and yes he named his son Harley!  :alcoholic:  
Whe I first got the Busa (to replace my stolen Kat) he said, why didn't you get a bike that has style?  I guess my response was sless than accomadating.  Now whenever I ride the Busa into the shop he makes a deragatory comment.

His last one was, "I'd never own one of those even for fifety bucks, I wouldn't even ride one if you paid me!"  To which I responded, "No you probably shouldn't, it would be like sleeping with a super model, then having to go back home to your old, ragged out, biker girlfriend."

Keep riding!
Good comeback there Mikey. ;) Keep givin' him Hell, man! :laugh:

Mikey D:
"I'd never own one of those even for fifety bucks, I wouldn't even ride one if you paid me!" To which I responded, "No you probably shouldn't, it would be like sleeping with a super model, then having to go back home to your old, ragged out, biker girlfriend."

Hope I didn't offend anyone.[/QUOTE]
I've noticed a lot a harley riders are just too closed minded to appreciate the engineering, and R&D that goes into a machine like the busa. It is a work of art in the enginering world.

Don't worry, you would have to do better than that to offend me. :D

...he's another Harley guy...I'm trying to convert them, guys, but they just limp away like kicked puppies!

Raider & stkr00 - I really don't think my Road King riding friend will ever get on it again...I think he scared himself!  :D
Yeah, that's because Hardley riders are in it for the looks, not the power & speed. (sorry stkr, ;) ) If they twist the wrist and it does anything more than make damned noise it scares the crap out of 'em! Hahahahahahahaha... :laugh:
This is very true.  The lead man at my side job is a Hardley fanatic.  His last name is Davidson and yes he named his son Harley!  :alcoholic:  
Whe I first got the Busa (to replace my stolen Kat) he said, why didn't you get a bike that has style?  I guess my response was sless than accomadating.  Now whenever I ride the Busa into the shop he makes a deragatory comment.

His last one was, "I'd never own one of those even for fifety bucks, I wouldn't even ride one if you paid me!"  To which I responded, "No you probably shouldn't, it would be like sleeping with a super model, then having to go back home to your old, ragged out, biker girlfriend."

Keep riding!
That was funny MikeyD!
:bounce:

I've been lucky...there are 6 or 7 Harley riders that have stared my Busa down and said nothing but good things about him (well, except for the "you're going to kill yourself on that thing" comments that always seem to lead in to the conversation!)...the two Harley riders that have had the pleasure of riding on my Busa do admit they like it, but that they won't live long to enjoy it if they owned one...

I haven't had much in the way of negative comments from my fellow Harley riders...hell, even they make fun of me for wearing the Harley coat on the Suzuki! Even the guy that sold me my original Harley couldn't help but say "Wow!" And cited that he's glad I found something that I truly love...some of the Harley guys are pretty cool...the close-minded ones are the ones that just enjoy the name and blowing money on a frame and a v-twin engine...

I'm Michelle, former Harley rider...current busaholic! :D

There is a bike night down in these parts every second Saturday I think in Plant City East of Tampa. IT's about 99% Harley. I went a couple of times but I have a hard time with that crowd. Bunch of folks without a clue swilling beer and slinging their BBB's around (Bare BEER Belly's) both the men and women, then getting on their bikes and wobbling their garage queens home... all the while thinking they look cool... Yeah I have nothing against Harley's, it's just the attitude and BS posing of some of the owners... It's like they are all victims of the same bad joke, and they don't know that they are the punchline. NOT ALL mind you, I am not that dumb, but too many for my taste.

ANYWAY, Point is MikeyUSF and I both rode out there one night with the Matching Black Busa's. We park right in amongst the iron. Now of course not one of the yuppie dickweeds posing with their symbols will even give a second look. But after Mike and I had been away from our rides for about an hour or so, when we looked over to where our bikes were parked there was allways a bit of gaggle... Pointing, crouching down, looking at this and that, pouring over the Busa's. As Mike and I approached the group of about 8-10 folks just disappeared... looking sheepish for getting caught or something... It was amusing but it sorta sealed my impression of these tools... So caught up in Image and BS, that they cannot even come up for air long enough to ask a question, or give a nod. What I really enjoyed was all the kids had no such qualms much to their parents shame I am sure. They had all kinds of questions... How Fast? How much HP? Can I hear it? Whats this or that? How Much?

Anyway I am being harsh, point is I have found a lot of the Hardley folks that do dig on the Busa but are too afraid of the image to admit it... Thats OK, they can just keep plodding along with their sheep buddies and follow the pack...

Anyone remember when the Harley crowd were the rebels? The ones to look out for? Now the attention has fully shifted to the sportbikes and their "Death Machines" and "Street Racers"... Who would have thought...Harley=the Establishment.... SportBikes=the Hoodlums.... Funny Stuff....

Funny story Revlis...you feel better now?! :tounge:

I've not had the opportunity to hang out with a huge crowd of Harley riders; huge meaning more than the 7 or so I know...I can certainly imagine how they'd all sort of "puff" up and act too cool to even look at the Busa...I'll count myself lucky that I haven't experienced that much yet, though if I ever head to Sturgis with my husband, he's already told me I'll catch sh*t for riding the Busa and won't even get to park with the HOG group...yeah, who cares? Won't bother me a bit...

Guess you've just got to be one of those types of people that doesn't really care what others project in an attempt to be "cool"...I see them as just not as educated as myself when it comes to getting something for your money, or else they would have sold the Harley and gotten something that comes with more than just a speedometer! :D

Hey, I'll continue to try and educate the masses here in VA as long as I can...I can sort of get their attention since I've got the proverbial Harley too...even when it's gone, I can always tell a Harley rider "yeah, I started out on one...wanted more for the money..." and watch them steam over it...

Funny thing happened not too long after I bought my Busa. I was out riding with two Harleys, heading to the local dealership because that's what Harley owners do...anyway, we're inside the store, everyone's looking to buy anything H-D, right? My friend, Keith, walks up to me with a little clock...looks like something that you just stick on your Harley somewhere so you'll know the time...he's really excited about getting this for his wife's H-D because he just bought himself one and "it's so nice to know what the time is without fumbling for his watch"...I give him the courteous "yeah, that's nice" as I look at this tiny little trinket that probably cost $20...then I said to him, "my Busa's got a clock...and I can tell you how many miles to the gallon I'm getting...came with a tach..." I list off the extra perks that no Harleys have without selling off a kid to buy it, and gave him a little smile...no hard feelings...just trying to educate him a bit!

So, Revlis...let them all admire, even if it's in secret! I'm beginning to think that I don't really want anyone around me to have a Busa...I rather like being the odd one out around here...it's enough to know that they all look...

I just have to dive in here. I ride an Ultra-Classic Harley as well as my Busa. Since I am 59 years old, I have been in the riding bike scene for more than 40 years. When I first started I had a 58 750 Triumph. Then went to Harley sportster choppers. Back then it seems there was no other option. I went through the bad-ass period most of us back then. Too many movies I guess. Anyway I have had a Harley for most of my riding life. In addition I have had many Japanese bikes also. Mostly cruiser types until about 5 years ago. I discovered the sport bikes when I wanted a bike to lane split easier when commuting to work. Started with a 600 Ninja and progressed up the my 03 Busa. I still ride with lots of Harley friends and it doesn't matter to them if I am on the Harley or Busa. Maybe it's because I'm old now, but I don't get any negative vibes from anyone I'm around. If I feel like showing up to a Harley event on the Busa I do. If I want to ride the Harley to a sport bike event, I do. It's all in the joy of being able to ride. I hope I never get where I can't. You folks have seen my arm tats that have Live to Ride and Ride to Live. It is truly a way of life for me. And I love it.......

I agree flrider...that's most of my family! I'm not going to change them...and don't want them to preach to me about what I ride...we all get along just fine :D Well, lots of needling and kidding around, but it's all in great fun...

Hell, I have a sticker on my helmet, given to me by the guy that just rode my Busa...it says "FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS RIDE RICE BURNERS"...and I'm wearing the white H-D coat on every single ride!

I guess what annoys the sport riding crowd is that many, not all, Harley riders do project a superior attitude if they see you're on a sport bike...there are exceptions of course, and I've been lucky to NOT experience much negativity since changing to the Busa...in my neck of the woods, it really does seem that everyone gets along, no matter what you ride. In my group of friends, we've got a gal that's on a Honda Shadow but wants an Indian, her husband's on a Road King, another guy on a Honda Shadow but aspiring to get a Harley, tons of Harleys...I'm the lone sport biker! We all just have to put up with AND dish out some funny comments to keep each other going...

Good stuff from everyone. Rev, VaBusa, and flrider especially.

Lot's of good points and observations. The one thing that really gets to me, is that for what I spent on my Electra Glide, I could have had two busa's. :D Granted, it does have TONS of chrome, and that Harley sound, but they are pricey.

I'm like flrider. I've got two bikes for totally different purposes, so I'm afforded the luxury of choosing which to ride to where. You don't quit riding because you get old...You get old because you quit riding!

VaBusa, until you've seen a sportbike hanging from a tree burning, you really don't fully understand how some of these Harley guys think. Make's you look inside yourself to see if that's what you really want to be a part of.

Can't we all just get along? :D

I just have to dive in here. I ride an Ultra-Classic Harley as well as my Busa. Since I am 59 years old, I have been in the riding bike scene for more than 40 years. When I first started I had a 58 750 Triumph. Then went to Harley sportster choppers. Back then it seems there was no other option. I went through the bad-ass period most of us back then. Too many movies I guess. Anyway I have had a Harley for most of my riding life. In addition I have had many Japanese bikes also. Mostly cruiser types until about 5 years ago. I discovered the sport bikes when I wanted a bike to lane split easier when commuting to work. Started with a 600 Ninja and progressed up the my 03 Busa. I still ride with lots of Harley friends and it doesn't matter to them if I am on the Harley or Busa. Maybe it's because I'm old now, but I don't get any negative vibes from anyone I'm around. If I feel like showing up to a Harley event on the Busa I do. If I want to ride the Harley to a sport bike event, I do. It's all in the joy of being able to ride. I hope I never get where I can't. You folks have seen my arm tats that have Live to Ride and Ride to Live. It is truly a way of life for me. And I love it.......
Just wanted to make sure you Harley owners here on the board and of course a few of my friends are excluded from my little rant above.  It is a generalization and as such there are allways exceptions.  

In Fairness, when I see a guy all covered in tats, (NOT THE GLUE ON KIND) who has a sweet Harley that looks like it is ridden.  Maybe a little leathery around the mug...You know Old school?  I give them a lot of respect, they have been riding the Hog or something similar for longer than I have been alive.  Folks that are truly out there to ride. They get two thumbs up...  If they want to harsh on my Busa thats fine, I'll rag on their Harley and mention things like handling, braking, acceleration, etc... But there isn't any real hostility.  

The "Bikers" that I get ugly with are the poser "Credit Card" bikers... The 30-50 somethings that bought a Harley because they have become a status symbol.  Something to park along side the Mercedes.  Something to prove what rebels they still are.  The Middle management crap heads who decided they had to get a Harley to prove to the world that they haven't sold their paper thin souls to the man.  It's a derisive comment or headshake from one of these posers, these Image bikers, that lead me to get real ugly...  Folks that bought a bike in the hopes that owning a particular Marque is going to somehow fill the hole in their lives.  The Born agains, that decide they are "Tough Harley Rebels".  Grrr.

When I get attitude from a Harley guy that has obviously been on Harleys forever I can deal with that, they are being true to themselves.  Right or wrong I can just blur by them and it doesn't get to me nearly as much as the wanna bees that wouldn't know a Shovel from a Pan, or an AMF from an Evolution giving me attitude while wearing their Harley Boots, Gloves, and Harley Shades, and on and on...  Thats when I get irritated.

I don't need for anyone to give me a wave or tell my bike is or isn't cool, I could give a damn.  That's not my point, what I think I am getting at is you are either out there on the bike because it's your passion, it's what you live for and because riding is freedom in two wheel form. Or your a poser sh^t head and you do not get it, nor will you ever get it, and you should sit down, shut up and hope that a true OG biker doesn't come along and beat your ass and steal your shiny new 100th AE Hog because your a bobo and deserve it.   :rant:

To recap...If your riding because it's your passion Cool I don't care what your on.  If you riding because it's an image... Kill yourself and do the world a favor...  or is that too harsh???

Oh and Just in case...I think I mentioned this before.  I come from a riding family, Grandad owned a Honda Dealership in OK, Other Grandad rode Harleys, All 5 of my uncles ride from both sides of the family, 4 of 6 male cousins ride, Dad used to ride. Hell come by the house 20 years ago and you would have found a Blue framed custom Harley being assembled in the living room of one of my Uncles places.  Leg in a cast up to the hips, rebuilding his baby.  So It's not like I just up and decided to start riding and bitching on a web-board.  I didn't really have a choice about riding, it's in the genes... Oh and I am good at bitchin...

Ok I gotta go take my medication or a nap or something....I'm really freaking going off.... :crazy:

VaBusa, until you've seen a sportbike hanging from a tree burning, you really don't fully understand how some of these Harley guys think.  Make's you look inside yourself to see if that's what you really want to be a part of.

Can't we all just get along? :D
I do actually understand how some of them think...I was one of them...when I bought my Harley, in my mind I was buying what many only aspire to own...really, I had always wanted one, didn't really know why...I didn't want to "waste" my time on other metric cruisers only to later wish I had that Harley...I didn't have any regrets about buying that bike until I bought my Busa...

Now, I truly regret parting with nearly as much for a tank, some fenders and a speedo as I did for the Busa; I'll never get that money back, and the bike's still brand new! However, for about two years there, I was one of those Harley riders that didn't really notice sport bikes, nor care to even give them a second glance...wasn't because I was arrogant; it truly was ignorance on my part because I was part of this big H-D "Welcome to the family" image and that's what I thought I wanted...I didn't really have an opinion on sport bikers, just that they rode funny looking bikes and loved relatively quiet bikes...I didn't have anything personal against them, but I was part of something else entirely...

I'm actually quite glad that I have had both...gives me perspective on both sides of the coin, like flrider I guess (but with a lot less riding experience!) As for the "bad boy speed demon death-loving sport biker" image...thank a select few for that reputation, and movies like "Biker Boyz"...I guess it's my hope that people are smart enough to realize that's not the majority, but I know that's not always the case...

Glad to say I sought info on the Busa on my own, turned to you guys and others around the world for info on the bike...it's completely my decision to own this bike, not peer pressure or an image...and I still love my Harley riding friends! I have to; they've all I've got to ride with! :bounce:

By the way...not that this is an issue, but my Road King friend that prompted this thread is one tough, intimidating and unshakeable guy...whether he rides a sport bike like he did long ago, or cruises on a Road King, the funny part for me was that he sort of thought the Busa wouldn't be a big deal...turns out it really left a lasting impression on him...I wasn't really going for converting a Harley rider to the Busa, but it's fun to give them lessons every now and again! :D

We're all on the same page Revlis...especially here...I think we all appreciate what everyone brings to the table in the way of experience and bikes...tons of multiple bike owners out there...but, I can certainly see how you'd feel to walk around a bunch of cruisers that day in Tampa, leaving your beautiful Lilah accompanied by another black beauty...I bet you guys commented and complimented many Harley riders on this or that on their bikes...you appreciated what you saw and didn't mind saying so...

...to see your bike being admired, then have everyone scatter because they weren't supposed to look at a sport bike is irritating...what in the hell is wrong with someone saying "hey, what is this?" or "nice bike..." "How fast does it go?" (a certain favorite amongst Busa riders!)...we're all riders, so why not show the love for all?! :D

I liken your experience to one I had a month or so ago...bunch of guys see my Busa as I pulled up in the parking lot...they didn't know I was a girl, and I only know this because once they realized I was, all they could muster to say was "HOLY SH*T!" as they looked at one another...no, "hey, nice bike" or "good to see a girl riding"...just incoherent babble and near disrespect since I could clearly hear their ever-so-thought-provoking comments...if a guy had been on my Busa that day, it wouldn't have been disrespectful in any manner...they would have probably walked over and asked a few questions...unless they loath sport bikes!

No worries, I'm not scarred by the experience...quite the opposite actually...I took it as a compliment of sorts, even as 3 or 4 trucks rode past me slowly with their jaws wide open...not a single thought in their heads...but it was amusing...happy to report that shortly after that, a true gentleman walked over to actually say "hey, nice bike..." and was able to form entire sentences!

Where in the hell did that story come from? Does it really have anything to do with what we're talking about? Was there a point? :super:

Ok I gotta go take my medication or a nap or something....I'm really freaking going off.... :crazy:
Nope ya just have to exercise yer passion...
ie... get out and ride more!!!

pirate.gif

PS I've been to that "Rally" too. I had some kids come
around while their parents hoverd near enough to listen in
but far enough away to pretend disintrest. The kids asked
all the usual questions.. How much...fast...handling..etc.
One asked if he could hear it, I said nope it wasn't a
Hardley it made power, not noise. The poor pipsqueaks mom
swooped out of the pack of "unintrested" parents to yank
him away from me as if she suddenly realised I was Micheal Jackson.

Nope ya just have to exercise yer passion...
ie... get out and ride more!!!

pirate.gif

PS I've been to that "Rally" too. I had some kids come
around while their parents hoverd near enough to listen in
but far enough away to pretend disintrest. The kids asked
all the usual questions.. How much...fast...handling..etc.
One asked if he could hear it, I said nope it wasn't a
Hardley it made power, not noise. The poor pipsqueaks mom
swooped out of the pack of "unintrested" parents to yank
him away from me as if she suddenly realised I was Micheal Jackson.
That's funny Raider! :laugh:

Back