I gotta post this before Uncle Steve does

That takes a lot of self control and I commend you on it. I always say I'm gonna take it easy, but as soon as I get out there and someone passes me on the outside, I start hittin it hard. (leading to a lowside here or there)

I haven't had the busa out there yet but now that it's lowerd and stretched for drag, I doubt I will. :/

You're definitely doing it the smart way. Perfect body and throttle and the speed will come.

That takes a lot of self control and I commend you on it. I always say I'm gonna take it easy, but as soon as I get out there and someone passes me on the outside, I start hittin it hard. (leading to a lowside here or there)

I haven't had the busa out there yet but now that it's lowerd and stretched for drag, I doubt I will. :/

You're definitely doing it the smart way. Perfect body and throttle and the speed will come.

Oh man Im tellin ya, in Oct of last year I was all over the track. I was gas gas gas, braaaaaaake slow turn gas gas gas braaaaaaaaaake.....

someone would pass me and that piss me off and the testosterone would kick in and it would be on, I would start hunting them down and passing on the straights...

Im lucky that I have great guys like Uncle Steve, Macon454, Ward, Twotonevert, Busawhipped and the local guys to watch and give me advice...

Steve and I talk A LOT! and one of the things we talked about on the way home last Oct was keeping priorities in check. Steve told me to just practice on the curves, don't let the others get to me and just practice body position and throttle control along with the right lines...

Now when I get it at the track there aren't a lot in our class that can beat us around.... Everyone has a hard time keeping up with Steve on the busa at the track and they have to really work at beating him around, but recently I noticed that I was keeping my own and not getting passed a lot. Over the past 7 track days I have gotten better and better, more confidence, better lines, better throttle and the other bikes are having to really ride to beat me... For the first time ever at the track this week a couple of guys came up to me and told me they couldn't believe how we rode the busas on the track, they were trying to pass and couldn't.. We rode well enough in the corners they couldn't get us on the outside (All corner pass on the outside) and on the straights they just couldn't believe how it would rocket out of the corners.

In the end its a lot of fun, you just have to keep your head about it all and listen to the riders that are better....

cap

I'll hopefully get a little 600 next year for Hallet and keep the Busa for street/Thunder Valley. It's good to see Busas out there! I don't think I've ever seen any. (I went about five times, a couple years ago)

Oh man Im tellin ya, in Oct of last year I was all over the track. I was gas gas gas, braaaaaaake slow turn gas gas gas braaaaaaaaaake.....

someone would pass me and that piss me off and the testosterone would kick in and it would be on, I would start hunting them down and passing on the straights...

Im lucky that I have great guys like Uncle Steve, Macon454, Ward, Twotonevert, Busawhipped and the local guys to watch and give me advice...

Steve and I talk A LOT! and one of the things we talked about on the way home last Oct was keeping priorities in check. Steve told me to just practice on the curves, don't let the others get to me and just practice body position and throttle control along with the right lines...

Now when I get it at the track there aren't a lot in our class that can beat us around.... Everyone has a hard time keeping up with Steve on the busa at the track and they have to really work at beating him around, but recently I noticed that I was keeping my own and not getting passed a lot. Over the past 7 track days I have gotten better and better, more confidence, better lines, better throttle and the other bikes are having to really ride to beat me... For the first time ever at the track this week a couple of guys came up to me and told me they couldn't believe how we rode the busas on the track, they were trying to pass and couldn't.. We rode well enough in the corners they couldn't get us on the outside (All corner pass on the outside) and on the straights they just couldn't believe how it would rocket out of the corners.

In the end its a lot of fun, you just have to keep your head about it all and listen to the riders that are better....

cap

Sounds like you are getting it Doug! I try very hard to be very smooth on the gas... rolling off it and smoothly applying the brakes back to a smooth transition to the gas when entering the corners. As I hit the apex.... I try to roll on the gas smoothly feeling for the tires traction at the same time... and as I come out of the corner try to pick the bike up at the same time.... Everything smooth and in harmony. The more you get it that feel the quicker you start to become. And its good you got some really good riders around you to help you.... In my case I dont have the riding group you have to help me improve. Working on that. Met a few guys at the track and hoping to learn more from them too!

As like you, I had a few people come to where I was pitting at my track day. Asking Karen if I was the guy on the Maroon and Black 1k running in the I group. A few even approached me to tell me I was going very fast on a regular street bike with plates and wanted to know how I was doing it. Most had track bikes. I told them that I havent been to the track in 3 years, I am on a new bike, in new leathers, and never rode this course layout. And I was just trying to be smooth and feeling things out. The look on there faces and even the control riders was priceless! A few wanted to follow me around the track, and I didnt have a problem with that, but at the end of the sessions. They would come back over and just look at the bike and shake there head and then tell me I left them. I told them thank you each time and that I am still learning too! But my last session I rode with the control rider, and man he was fast.... again I just concentrated on being smooth and not trying to get past my comfort zone. I may be fast, but there are others out there that are faster and better. And knowing this helps put your head in check! I just want to be as good as I can be and bring home my bike in one piece at the end of the day! That is my goal and trophy!

Last edited:
For those that have been to Hallett Racetrack and gone counter clockwise there is a hill there just after turn one called wheelie hill.... Here is the story....

We are having a good time, we come around turn 10 to the big front end straight, turn one is a highspeed curve. I go through turn 1 and Steve blazes past me just as I get on the throttle, I never stay in the throttle cause the next curve is a downhill left hander, #1 crash spot.... So Steve blazes by my pulls a wheelie and rides it up a ways, he says on the radio " I probably shouldn't have done that" I said back WOW" And now we have the photo that goes with this... Bear with me on the size, I bought the full size image for Uncle Steve today so I can have a poster made for him...... When I get it I will post it up in all its full size glory.... If you don't get it, look at his back tire...

View attachment 205109

That is just so sick! Wish we could see his face

The fact that we are not hearing about the wreck when both tires came back down to Mother Earth says ALOT for the the stock steering damper , and chassis engineering that has gone into every one of our 'Busas ! We mere mortals are so lucky to get to pilot these beasts !

People on this .org always amaze me. From their technical knowledge, customizing innovations, and riding abilities, I am continually humbled. Great picture Steve and if a poster ever comes out, I would be honored to acquire one and hang it in the shop. Awesome to say the least. Send one to REDBULL. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Back