I gotta head north

I bought one of those $50 wet vest from Cycle Gear a few years ago. I was not impressed with the cooling effect it claimed to provide.

Most of the discomfort from heat in the facial, neck and head area. I just quit a job where it was over 100 degrees every afternoon so I carried a cooler with me with blue ice in it. My savior was the water spray bottle I kept inside... I would spray misty cold water on my face, neck and head. I would then put it in squirt gun mode and shoot my thighs chest and arms.... instant temporary relief from the heat... good for about 10 or 15 minutes when its over a 100... luckily I was in the shade most of the time as a heavy equipment operator under a canopy.

I quit that job 2 Fridays ago Friday and started working in San Diego on a brand new machine (. 349 Cat Excavator ) with good AC ... life is good and I am grateful !!
Hi. Zeros. I thing you are wrong. I think AOC know what is going on. Just look 9 mounth ago it was very cold and just look at the temps now. As for drinking water it is 100% fatal! Every one who has drank water has died.

I know climate change is real but I question if it is a natural phenomena....I recall even as a kid in the '60s and '70s there were days when it was extremely hot during the summer...the humidity was crazy...as a farm kid we were cognizant of these things as we had to work in the heat.
The climate change mantras have been launched through the media for at least 50 years. I have seen the headlines from the past predicting doom and gloom for the planet. A few well seasoned weathermen have shown us the falsehoods being pushed into the media outlets in recent years.

However... when you tune into the GeoWatch channel with Dane Wigington and see the body of work he has amassed for over 20 years its hard to argue that something major isn't happening with the weather. Dane is calling it a man made castastrophy... whatever it is its hard to dismiss.

Just read the comments.

Last edited:
Hey ZERKS. Since you apparently can’t take a hint, even a strong one, let me ask you a direct question. What is the main point to this thread? It sure seems to be an easy question to me. It’s too hot around here and I’m jonesin for a ride. Get it? It’s NOT a debate on how or why and it was strongly suggested that the topic stay on track so why haven't you started another thread to espouse your ideas?

Even here in the middle of Canada it's been killer hot... this year was more mild then last but anything 30+ Celsius is just to hot for me in leather gear... I would let the bike sit. The days I would ride in those temperatures I would die when I got home.

I don't know how people in California and Florida ride in summer with full gear.

Along with the absense of decent hills or curves down here that’s another reason that helped me decide to sell my bike. It was absolutely blistering out 9 outta 12 months down here. Too used to wearing full gear as well. Sweat washes off and road rash doesn’t so I could never be comfortable in shorts and tshirt like a lot of people I see down here. Many don’t even wear a helmet. I’d get back from a short morning ride and literally be drenched in sweat. I miss it but not really.
Either way ride safe Wuzza…
Aerostitch needs to come up with an air condition space type suit. Probably need two dedicated saddlebags to incorporate the AC system to pressurize it. Cost of such a system? Don't ask... I see the astronauts carry them when they are walking to the space capsule to board the rocket.

Hey ZERKS. Since you apparently can’t take a hint, even a strong one, let me ask you a direct question. What is the main point to this thread? It sure seems to be an easy question to me. It’s too hot around here and I’m jonesin for a ride. Get it? It’s NOT a debate on how or why and it was strongly suggested that the topic stay on track so why haven't you started another thread to espouse your ideas?
Relax and have a nice safe ride wherever you go... don't worry about what I say... it means nothing.

When freedom of speech is exercised then what others say is here / there because somebody wanted to say it... so kick your brain in neutral and have a nice safe ride... ok?

We are talking about the subject of riding in hot weather... right?

Even here in the middle of Canada it's been killer hot... this year was more mild then last but anything 30+ Celsius is just to hot for me in leather gear... I would let the bike sit. The days I would ride in those temperatures I would die when I got home.

I don't know how people in California and Florida ride in summer with full gear.
I don't ride when the temps are extreme unless I get caught in it while commuting. In warm weather I wear an airflow jacket with the pads.... and jeans which are pretty much worthless over 5 mph. Gloves, helmet and boots. Early mornings in December and January can get down to the low 30s and on average the temps rise and fall about 25 to 30 degrees everyday. October to June are pretty good... July, August and September are hit and miss. Normal hot weather periods still leave some hours early in the day for comfortable riding... but even now... its a bit ridiculous... 81 was the low last night here in the inland area of Riverside County where I live.

A few times I have jumped straight into the shower when getting home... 108 degrees is torture for me.

Relax and have a nice safe ride wherever you go... don't worry about what I say... it means nothing.

When freedom of speech is exercised then what others say is here / there because somebody wanted to say it... so kick your brain in neutral and have a nice safe ride... ok?

We are talking about the subject of riding in hot weather... right?

The Op asked you twice to stay on topic. Please do.

Leaving Sunday. I’m checking temps along the way and so far only one day will be cool, in the 60s and that’s inside Glacier NP in NW Montana. All other days except for the first day, temps should be in the 80s and 70s. I know it’s a risk but I’m only taking my mesh jacket. High up in the Bitter Root mountains an occasional rain shower can appear no matter what the temps are too. My last trip up there I brought both jackets but only wore the mesh.

From here I’ll ride over the Tioga pass inside Yosemite (9,945’) and then cross over to NV, OR, ID, (across hiway 12 and over the Lolo pass into MT and up to the park, then back into ID then WA, OR and home. I’m going to try to make Glacier NP in Montana (the turn around point) just short of the Canadian border north of Babb MT. after riding across the Going To The Sun Road (GTTSR) and on the way back, ride thru Crater Lake NP in southern Oregon and then Lassen Volcanic NP in northern Ca. Total mileage should be under 3,000 in 8 days.

Leaving Sunday. I’m checking temps along the way and so far only one day will be cool, in the 60s and that’s inside Glacier NP in NW Montana. All other days except for the first day, temps should be in the 80s and 70s. I know it’s a risk but I’m only taking my mesh jacket. High up in the Bitter Root mountains an occasional rain shower can appear no matter what the temps are too. My last trip up there I brought both jackets but only wore the mesh.

From here I’ll ride over the Tioga pass inside Yosemite (9,945’) and then cross over to NV, OR, ID, (across hiway 12 and over the Lolo pass into MT and up to the park, then back into ID then WA, OR and home. I’m going to try to make Glacier NP in Montana (the turn around point) just short of the Canadian border north of Babb MT. after riding across the Going To The Sun Road (GTTSR) and on the way back, ride thru Crater Lake NP in southern Oregon and then Lassen Volcanic NP in northern Ca. Total mileage should be under 3,000 in 8 days.
Which bike are you taking?

Which bike are you taking?

I’ve been trying to decide as both are serviced and ready but I’ve ridden the Busa up there 3-4 times, three solo and once with my son on his Triumph RS triple. I’ve only had the Kawasaki over the Sierras into NV and up thru the giant redwoods in northern Ca and back down hiway 1 and back. Probably the Kawasaki. Starting mileage will be 19,200. The Busa has almost 75,000 thru 11 states. Wanna meet me?

I’ve been trying to decide as both are serviced and ready but I’ve ridden the Busa up there 3-4 times, three solo and once with my son on his Triumph RS triple. I’ve only had the Kawasaki over the Sierras into NV and up thru the giant redwoods in northern Ca and back down hiway 1 and back. Probably the Kawasaki. Starting mileage will be 19,200. The Busa has almost 75,000 thru 11 states. Wanna meet me?
Hell it would take me days to get there and with my arthritic hands the ride would suck....

It should be a fun ride on the Kwacker regardless....

Hell it would take me days to get there and with my arthritic hands the ride would suck....

It should be a fun ride on the Kwacker regardless....

Well, an international airport is just 40 miles away….I get the arthritis reason though and as beat up and old as I am, I’m cutting the daily mileage down compared to what I used to ride. Hopefully I’m up to it. I’ll figure it like I always do, it’s just 8 day rides, in a row. :)

Day one, Sunday the 11th. Rode from 2,300’ to 9,945’ from 88 and muggy to 58 above 8,000’. COLD. T shirt and mesh jkt worked (ok) as it got to hi 80s/low90s 35 miles later. Empty 70mph limit 2 lane across NV. 80mph limit on I-80! Night in Fernley NV @ Super8-not recommended. Paid $7.09 for gas in Lee Vining. Av 48mpg! Timed a 60 mile straight and averaged 91 mph. Took 40 minutes. Barren or not, Nevada has its percs. After some loooong straights

B882BB06-194A-4A10-BF43-70911A112D84.jpeg

F1927377-E839-4ABE-AD88-B4D4561524F8.jpeg

8986A854-237A-4A32-911E-F0B96D5CF086.jpeg

5FAE8F4E-6E66-4C9B-9AC2-4689A42C929E.jpeg
the first curve had this sign. I was still a mile and a half high! :laugh:

Day two, East to Winnemucca (yes that’s the name) then north into OR near the ID border. Night @ The Red Lion in Ontario OR. Barren, warm and straight. Nothing but a few grass farms and miles of yellow grass and sagebrush. Last day like that for awhile. Crossing back into ID tomorrow. I counted 88 nests under this overpass.

92733B80-8083-4337-9981-263CD9ACC790.jpeg

824AA286-C14C-4F32-A00E-996AB082D197.jpeg

23C33825-78ED-47B7-8D7D-2A43F5CDE40E.jpeg

1F7B8BB7-8299-4D3E-85E7-49427900EF5F.jpeg

Clear day blue sky for about an hour then overcast with black clouds with obvious signs of rain on either side of me for over a hundred miles! After turning north in mucca, the black one to my left was now in front of me. The road began to be wet and some cars were using wipers coming at me and all of a sudden it was like riding thru a dark cloud! Bam! Lasted a whole 4 miles. :laugh: Got a lil damp was all and for the next 100 miles or so just a few droplets. Temps were 88-73. Saw one GW and four long distance dirt bikes, small ones too! Really looked tattered and filthy in the motel lot. Close to 800 miles so far. The sights will improve dramatically after heading north into Idaho. Crossing into Montana on hiway 12 the road follows the paths of three rivers, right next to the road, for about 150 miles! Cant wait.

Last edited:
Back