Used Bike Purchase

Jbaby1969

Registered
So I’ve been looking for a small cc bike to beat around on the weekends and commute to and from work on from time to time. I settled on a high mileage 2010 Ninja 250. It’s really cheap and the owner says it’s road ready. Obviously for the price it’s not perfect. Anything in particular I should look out for while I’m checking it out tomorrow? This will also be used to teach my wife to ride so I want it to be safe.

So I’ve been looking for a small cc bike to beat around on the weekends and commute to and from work on from time to time. I settled on a high mileage 2010 Ninja 250. It’s really cheap and the owner says it’s road ready. Obviously for the price it’s not perfect. Anything in particular I should look out for while I’m checking it out tomorrow? This will also be used to teach my wife to ride so I want it to be safe.
Try to find a ninja 500. Much better, take longer to out grow. Cheap n easy to service.
Can pass a car without going full throttle lol

How cheap? Consumables can get expensive quick, tires, pads, rotors, clutch plates, etc. As long as you figure these costs into your purchase, and check it's mechanically sound you'll be fine. The 250 isn't fuel injected so it's less desirable (and expensive) than the 300.

The 250 is a 2010 which is the newer style that actually looks like a sport bike. I wouldn’t consider buying the old style just based on their looks.

How cheap? Consumables can get expensive quick, tires, pads, rotors, clutch plates, etc. As long as you figure these costs into your purchase, and check it's mechanically sound you'll be fine. The 250 isn't fuel injected so it's less desirable (and expensive) than the 300.

$1000 the carburetor is my main problem with the 250. I really hate having a carb on anything I own.

Agreed completely. You can get a 300 for under 3k, I think that they're a better bike.

I was in a Honda/Ducati/Yamaha shop the other day and they had all the Honda CBRs lined up from the 300 to the 1000 in all the same color, it was astounding how much the 300 looked like the 1000 and vice versa.

Those 300 look great these days. If I was to get a run about, one of the 300's in any brand would be the one I looked at.

I was in a Honda/Ducati/Yamaha shop the other day and they had all the Honda CBRs lined up from the 300 to the 1000 in all the same color, it was astounding how much the 300 looked like the 1000 and vice versa.

Those 300 look great these days. If I was to get a run about, one of the 300's in any brand would be the one I looked at.
The only thing I don't like about the Ninja 300 we have is the fact that I'm too big for it, and that has nothing to do with the bike.

Lol my sister bought a 650 2017 brand new for 7500 cash otd. She dropped it at a stop light learning to drive it and it’s just sitting in the garage. 500 or so miles with minor road rash

Back