Wreak of exhaust?

Klutch556

Registered
Ok so every time I ride I end up smelling like a rag stuffed in a gas tank being used as a fuel cap.
now this is my first bike, 19’ busa and I’ve put a Akra exhaust, block off plates and had the ecu flashed for the exhaust I have.
im wondering if I fucked up installing the exhaust or may have botched reattaching something over the valves when I installed the block off plates or if it’s due to it running really rich or if it’s just the nature of the beast an I’m bein a lil bitch.
just to clarify, this isn’t like sexy manly fresh out the garage scent. This is like I just got sprayed by a skunk shooting gas out his ass.

Not sure on what could be wrong but Akro makes a catalytic converter, not sure if you would see major hp loss, but that should help with the gas smells. My gen 1 with turbo smell like a mofo and ive been looking at installing a cat just for kicks(dont kill me)

Last edited:
Exhaust or fuel?

I'd go back under the fairings and re-check all the fasteners for the exhaust, maybe an exhaust gasket was left off????

I usually smell bad of rich exhaust after a ride. I contribute this to 2 things in my case. 1st, my bike runs rich and needs a tune. 2nd, I have short exhaust. It’s possible that after all you recent mods your bike is running a tad rich, or your just not riding fast enough to keep from reiking of exhaust...lol

Got pie?

I usually smell bad of rich exhaust after a ride. I contribute this to 2 things in my case. 1st, my bike runs rich and needs a tune. 2nd, I have short exhaust. It’s possible that after all you recent mods your bike is running a tad rich, or your just not riding fast enough to keep from reiking of exhaust...lol

Got pie?
Dually noted.
will try faster speeds before tearing the bike apart looking for loose stuff.:thumbsup:

Been looking around for a post like this.
Years ago I switched to a full Yosh race and lived with the smell.
Added a newer bike and left the cat on and enjoyed not making all my clothes and anything I was carrying smell like crap.

I’m really thinking of adding a CAT if that’s even possible. Or I will go back to stock if it’s not. Is there a single side full exhaust with CAT for gen 1?

I guess you need to get your bike Dyno tuned
Does a tune measurably reduce excess exhaust? I’ve read plenty of car/truck/bike forums that all complain about the fumes. I thought without a tune my full exhaust makes it run lean?
Who would you recommend near SoCal?

Does a tune measurably reduce excess exhaust? I’ve read plenty of car/truck/bike forums that all complain about the fumes. I thought without a tune my full exhaust makes it run lean?
Who would you recommend near SoCal?
It will measure your AFR (air fuel ratio) and judging by the amount of fuel in the exhaust, it is definitely out of whack.

Any bike without a cat will stink up your garage and clothes, I rarely ever smell exhuast if I'm riding though? Do you have a possible exhaust leak? My stock headers had a small crack, by were they x. Maybe you have a header leak and its wafting up when riding?

Any bike without a cat will stink up your garage and clothes, I rarely ever smell exhuast if I'm riding though? Do you have a possible exhaust leak? My stock headers had a small crack, by were they x. Maybe you have a header leak and its wafting up when riding?
My bike smells of gas a little bit when I first start it up as the map is rich on start up but if I go for a ride and come back into the garage, there is no raw gas smell.

My bike smells of gas a little bit when I first start it up as the map is rich on start up but if I go for a ride and come back into the garage, there is no raw gas smell.
Raw fuel and exhuast smell different if his smell like a Jerry can than there is overfuelling/fuel leak I just hear people complain about motorcycle exhaust smell, most don't have cats so if you run them in a enclosed space they will stink up your stuff quick.

Raw fuel and exhuast smell different if his smell like a Jerry can than there is overfuelling/fuel leak I just hear people complain about motorcycle exhaust smell, most don't have cats so if you run them in a enclosed space they will stink up your stuff quick.
Of course but my bike (with no cats) smells totally different when it warms up-the raw gas smell goes away and is replaced with a typical 4 stroke smell.

If you go back and read the original post, what I wrote will make sense...

The bike has a fueling issue-at the minimum it needs to get onto a dyno to set the AFR.

Check the vent tubes at the back lower corner of the clutch cover. Make sure they are not melting on the exhaust, or pinched

Check the vent tubes at the back lower corner of the clutch cover. Make sure they are not melting on the exhaust, or pinched
Vent tubes look good.

Thanks guys. I do know the difference between a fuel leak and and unburnt combustion fuel. I always suspected she ran a little rich, but the plugs looked good. Had a power commander hooked up till recently with a generic map for my full Yosh race. With or without PCII it always smelled.
Truth is, in years gone by I didn’t really understand what a CAT was for and now I feel kinda silly. That being said, I find it hard to believe every rider with a CAT delete puts up with this smell ,so either it’s just my bike or everyone thinks a couple extra ponies is worth it. I do not and need a good fix.
Guess I’ll find a tuner, new PC or get a flash, or all three.

Vent tubes look good.

Thanks guys. I do know the difference between a fuel leak and and unburnt combustion fuel. I always suspected she ran a little rich, but the plugs looked good. Had a power commander hooked up till recently with a generic map for my full Yosh race. With or without PCII it always smelled.
Truth is, in years gone by I didn’t really understand what a CAT was for and now I feel kinda silly. That being said, I find it hard to believe every rider with a CAT delete puts up with this smell ,so either it’s just my bike or everyone thinks a couple extra ponies is worth it. I do not and need a good fix.
Guess I’ll find a tuner, new PC or get a flash, or all three.
It's not a normal smell for a modified bike...

You will get a little rich fuel smell when you first start it but that normally goes away even without cats.

Even my neutered Ram truck smells of fuel when it is first started then that fuel smell goes away.....same as my bike, once it's up to operating temperature, there is no fuel smell coming from the exhaust.

If your bike is smelling like raw fuel all the time, you have a fueling issue.

I don't have any problems with mine. I have a 4 in 1 and smell like exhaust big time after a ride. Now on my stock bike with converters and all, it's not nearly as bad. So, normal.

Ok so every time I ride I end up smelling like a rag stuffed in a gas tank being used as a fuel cap.
now this is my first bike, 19’ busa and I’ve put a Akra exhaust, block off plates and had the ecu flashed for the exhaust I have.
im wondering if I fucked up installing the exhaust or may have botched reattaching something over the valves when I installed the block off plates or if it’s due to it running really rich or if it’s just the nature of the beast an I’m bein a lil bitch.
just to clarify, this isn’t like sexy manly fresh out the garage scent. This is like I just got sprayed by a skunk shooting gas out his ass.
I am having this problem just wondering what could it be smh

Back