S1000 RR

–0——0–

Registered
Saw an M version of the S1000 RR today at a dealer and I’m smitten. The bike looks and sounds well designed. From the full color display to the carbon wheels BMW hit the nail on the head. I love my gen 3 but the BMW is on a whole different level. Granted it’s more than double the price of the new 25 anniversary edition but it looks like it’s worth it…. I wouldn’t buy new and I’d probably get the M package vs the M version but I’d like to get some feedback on those of you who have owned BMW motorcycles. I’ve been burned on more than one occasion with newer BMW vehicles but have no clue about their motorcycle division.

Both of my G11’s needed major repairs just outside of mileage warranty. Is this planned obsolescence carried over to their 2 wheeled vehicles as well?
My old e36 is still running strong so I know BMW is capable of producing motors that will roll dials but I’m afraid they no longer care about longevity and their focus is to make money on the backend of service.

I hope I’m wrong
-TS

I had a 2015 BMW S1000RR that I owned for about 18 months. I sold it earlier this year.
It wasn’t the latest M version you speak of but jeez what a rocket!!
Full Akra exhaust plus a tune and a lot of bling extras. Power wheelies on demand, 435 pounds with close to 200 hp.
Obnoxiously loud, stupid fast and looked amazing. And it was reliable although I didn’t track it or beat it too hard.
The new ones are really expensive but I’ll bet you could find a deal on a used one.
I had the performance of a Ferrari for the cost of a used Civic so that suited me just fine.

IMG_2302.jpeg

My neighbor down the street was supposed to get an M1000RR but at the time BMW was short of them and asked him if he'd take one with the M package instead....he already had a large deposit on the M bike and went for the deal for the M package.....I'm not sure what the difference between the M package and M bike but his bike doesn't have winglets on it I know that....

It's a nice bike, I don't know how many kms (miles) he has on it now but he seems to ride it quite a bit. He and I went for a ride one time and he was surprised (and annoyed) at how my bike was able to keep up to him....he used to call it a "farm implement" until that ride....

Last edited:
Let your buddy know, that 25 years ago, Suzuki made a bike which will run right next to his double priced brand new Beemer on the street. Also ask him why Beemer has never succeeded as a performance athlete, in things like Moto GP, World Superbike, Moto America, etc.?

All riders being equal, I just don’t know how the busa could keep up with the M. Sure it has about 20 lb-ft less torque but it’s dramatically lighter. Two different bikes geared toward different purposes. If buying one meant it would be my only bike I would likely pass as the busa is so comfortable. This would have to be my Moutain pass / track bike.

I loved a lot of things about my S1000RR but I got tired of getting bounced off the seat by every crack in the road, even after I’d had my suspension adjusted.
It was fun to ride in short doses, 30 minutes or so.

All riders being equal, I just don’t know how the busa could keep up with the M. Sure it has about 20 lb-ft less torque but it’s dramatically lighter. Two different bikes geared toward different purposes. If buying one meant it would be my only bike I would likely pass as the busa is so comfortable. This would have to be my Moutain pass / track bike.
You can’t really compare the two, the Busa is more recreational all purpose, while a 1k is more competition related.

If you want a bike that does everything well, but with performance in mind, the Busa/ZX14 platform is hard to beat. For the drag strip, with all the after market support, the Hayabusa remains the king.

It f you want a light weight bike to race on the track, Ducati seems to have finally taken the crown. Their weight gives them a major advantage.

yep. I’m not a fan the the years with asymmetrical headlights. The latest one seems like a ton of money for something with 2 wheels and an engine. Bought the hayabusa new because I know these things are typically rode. I’m sure the same applies for the BMW but they have a 3 year warranty and if someone is spending that kind of cash I would expect them to have the thing maintained.

I LIKED the asymmetrical headlight on my 2015. If you see it coming towards you it looks weird, making it different from the rest.
To each his own.

My dealer had an M1000R (the naked version) and that bike was gorgeous. If I had money like that I would've bought it on the spot.

Back