New BMWs on the way

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
While we revel in glory of actually being able to buy 2011 Suzukis with
BNG (Bold New Graphics) :bowdown: Thank you suzuki motorcycle gods, we are not
worthy (note the sarcasm)

BMW is set to release two new models with their 6 cylinder motor...
The BMW K1600GT and GTL (Note the engine size Suzuki).

Here's the article (also on BMW's website, but the link didn't work)

BMW K 1600 GT and GTL: BMW Previews Six-Cylinder Tourers « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

Items of note, 160 hp (no biggie) But...175 newton meters of torque, translates
to 130 ft pounds (that'll have some umph). And the things is gotta be silky smooth...

Hats of to BeamerVille for not sitting on their can...

good job bmw. someone send zuk a smoke signal please. oh wait. they prob got enough bmw exhaust already:cussing:
I do love my busa though. wouldnt change from it:rulez:

Yeah, something about the silky smoothness of a 6 cyl. motor on a bike is just appealing. But, with they have the visceral thrill of a 'Busa? Probably not. They're building them to be flagship touring bikes, rather like a Goldwing.

BMW K 1600 GT and GTL: BMW Previews Six-Cylinder Tourers « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

to 130 ft pounds (that'll have some umph). And the things is gotta be silky smooth...

Hey, at least we get to pay 2000 extra dollars for our 2011 "Bold New Graphics" :bowdown: :thumbsup: :beerchug: :laugh:

Yeah, something about the silky smoothness of a 6 cyl. motor on a bike is just appealing. But, with they have the visceral thrill of a 'Busa? Probably not. They're building them to be flagship touring bikes, rather like a Goldwing.

For now...
Don't forget, "we" don't even have a sport tourer or a wing version.

Yeah they are doing a Sport tourer and a goldwing version, albeit probably the
"wing" version will still be much lighter and sportier than the wingabago.

I wonder what they would come up with if they really decide to set their sites
on the Busa/Zx14 using 1000rr technology. I bet it wont be long...

I read something yesterday (and this is important) that BMW considers itself
and engineering firm first and foremost, not a motor a company.

Wonder what Suzuki considers itself...a Stand-Pat-On-Your-Hand Firm...
a Bold New Graphics Division...Everyone else around them is moving foreward
while the kool-aid drinkers applaud their "genuis" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
In 1979 I purchased a new Honda CBX inline 6-cyl that was the monster of it's time. In 1984 I sold it to a friend that still has it. I replaced it with a 1982 CBX sport tourer that Honda had sitting unsold in their warehouse. I paid 2900 for a bike that Listed at 6-k in 1982. I still have it. Another buddy bought a leftover at the same time. The bikes are wonderful for their time, and even back then, you never saw yourself coming and going. There is a lot of romance in a 6-cyl bike.
The smoothness and the exhaust sound have to be experienced. Nothing out there like the snarl of a six. :cheerleader:

Last edited:

Sir,
Don't forget that our 2011 BNG is what everyone else got for 2010 models!:whistle:

I hope Suzuki recovers enough financially to start giving us something truly bold and new, hopefully for 2012, I think 2011 is a wash...:(

I hope Suzuki recovers enough financially to start giving us something truly bold and new, hopefully for 2012, I think 2011 is a wash...:(

???

That's kinda a bs argument. Suzuki still MADE MONEY in 2008 & 2009. And...
AND...they were still strong when the gave us a warmed over busa update.
They had to start development of the Gen 1.5 in 2006...and THAT'S what they
gave us after a DECADE. CLEARLY showing priority into $$ ONLY and saving
every penny.

And now I know of no other mfg that has stood pat on a 2+ year old hand.

Suzuki managment is being severly short sighted and left behind.

Honda's new VFR and automatic tranny, a new ST version in the works.
Kawaski Revised the Concours, New K1000, New Vulcan Line
BMW-well we know what they are doing and the 1000rr
Ducati-new models
Etc.
etc.
etc.

Suzuki better get ready to make less and less money as they fall further and
further behind.

Wow. This must be the "what have you done for me lately" thread. Just a reminder that the Busa dominated the strips and has been speed king for how long exactly? And try not to forget how long Suzuki has dominated Superbike with the GSXR1000. Yeah, I like it when Suzuki is top dog but there are lots of competitors in the field and on occasion another company gets a turn at being really good. BMW is the last into the game and they finally have a good sportbike but you might wonder wtf they have been doing for the past 30 years? What about Kawi, how many winners have they come up with lately? Honda? They haven't had a bigbore contender in years (XX) and then they disappoint most of their followers with the VFR1200? Yamaha? They haven't had a contender since the original FJ1100 back in 1984. Patience boys and girls, we have been spoiled for a long time, cut the Suzuki boys some slack and they will dominate once again.

In Suzuki's defense, when the busa came out were they even in the top speed comp? So maybe they will sneak out of the shadows again with some new WOW. And being that bmw was building bikes before cars (production) and should have always been a top contender... congrats to them for finally doing one right. (that didn't have the funky piston thingy sticking out the side) :rofl: But I do agree, it's time to wake up Suzuki. But it'll probably take them loosing a share of the pie to do it.. one of my favorite car companies is Nissan. They let their accountants run the company for a while and it almost killed them.. They got the engineers back in the game and even got the Z back.. (yippie).. Not that I want you to be a nissan fan, but point being, when the money makers wonder why they ain't makin money, the engineers will get involved again and maybe see a genIII busa or a new and more rediculous 1k. Maybe they are waiting for everyone to play their hand so they can play. (like Mazda always does with the RX line just so it can top the Z)

The busa and 14's time in the sun is over. There spots are going to be absorbed by their touring counterparts. Its now the era of the 1000......long live the new Kings :bowdown:

Wow. This must be the "what have you done for me lately" thread. Just a reminder that the Busa dominated the strips and has been speed king for how long exactly? And try not to forget how long Suzuki has dominated Superbike with the GSXR1000. Yeah, I like it when Suzuki is top dog but there are lots of competitors in the field and on occasion another company gets a turn at being really good. BMW is the last into the game and they finally have a good sportbike but you might wonder wtf they have been doing for the past 30 years? What about Kawi, how many winners have they come up with lately? Honda? They haven't had a bigbore contender in years (XX) and then they disappoint most of their followers with the VFR1200? Yamaha? They haven't had a contender since the original FJ1100 back in 1984. Patience boys and girls, we have been spoiled for a long time, cut the Suzuki boys some slack and they will dominate once again.

No offense dude, but your drinking kool-aid...

Suzuki has "dominated" with a 10+ year old design and haven't done much since.

BMW-was loyal to their boxer engine and the bmw faithful. Now that current
managment has finally decided that the boxer has extreme limitiations and
it's time to evolve...look out.

Honda-The VFR was not designed to be the new blackbird..ever. Don't know
who or how or have heard about disappointment in it. The reviews rave and
their new autotranny is very innovative and I'd pay for test ride on one. A new
ST1300 is rumored (and Suzuki rumors....anything....anyone).

Yamaha-Designed the new 1000 to have cross spline crankshaft (rode one
it's awesome) and a SERIOUS REAL update on the V-Max (take note Suzuki).

Kawaski-Z1000 is brand new every bolt (rode one, it's pretty kool) as well
as REVISED after listening to it's customers the Concours. (Has Suzuki
EVER LISTENED TO US) as well as the entire new cruiser line of Vulcans.

Ducati-Etc. etc.
Etc.

Suzuki-Nothing, not even 2010 bng models.

Your "patients boys and girls", is confidence unsupported and unjustified.
Based on what ??? . It's more than just winning at AMA, sorry I think customer
service is more than just giving Tommy Hayden a new(er) bike to ride every
two years (and they didn't even do that).

How many years have we pined for a update for the busa and had to be
content with bold new graphics yet again and again. How hard would it
have been to throw on better/new brakes on...nope...nada.

How about a REAL busa update (before I'm old enough to retire) with traction
control (not the stupid (read cheap $$) mode selector switch? How about a
dedicated sport tourer? How about a naked 1000 version. Etc...

This wasn't intended to be a bash Suzuki thread, I was attempting to praise
BMW for moving innovation forward, yet again. However I guess, as other
manufactures propel themselves into the future, Suzuki looks more and more
inept sitting in the mud of the past.

Last edited:
I'll be in the market for a liter bike ASAP. ASAP may be a 2012 model, but the best performing (yes, it'll see many laps on the track) machine will get my $$. I'm notoriously brand unloyal, so if 'Zuk has a top level hotrod when the time comes, I'll buy it, otherwise it may be blue, green, red, whatever. Only bike I wouldn't seriously consider is Ducati. Too expensive, too high maintainence, too hard to deal with in general. Anything else goes.
Yup, 'Zuk better get on the stick if they want my attention at buying time.

No offense dude, but your drinking kool-aid...

Suzuki has "dominated" with a 10+ year old design and haven't done much since.

BMW-was loyal to their boxer engine and the bmw faithful. Now that current
managment has finally decided that the boxer has extreme limitiations and
it's time to evolve...look out.

Honda-The VFR was not designed to be the new blackbird..ever. Don't know
who or how or have heard about disappointment in it. The reviews rave and
their new autotranny is very innovative and I'd pay for test ride on one. A new
ST1300 is rumored (and Suzuki rumors....anything....anyone).

Yamaha-Designed the new 1000 to have cross spline crankshaft (rode one
it's awesome) and a SERIOUS REAL update on the V-Max (take note Suzuki).

Kawaski-Z1000 is brand new every bolt (rode one, it's pretty kool) as well
as REVISED after listening to it's customers the Concours. (Has Suzuki
EVER LISTENED TO US) as well as the entire new cruiser line of Vulcans.

Ducati-Etc. etc.
Etc.

Suzuki-Nothing, not even 2010 bng models.

Your "patients boys and girls", is confidence unsupported and unjustified.
Based on what ??? . It's more than just winning at AMA, sorry I think customer
service is more than just giving Tommy Hayden a new(er) bike to ride every
two years (and they didn't even do that).

How many years have we pined for a update for the busa and had to be
content with bold new graphics yet again and again. How hard would it
have been to throw on better/new brakes on...nope...nada.

How about a REAL busa update (before I'm old enough to retire) with traction
control (not the stupid (read cheap $$) mode selector switch? How about a
dedicated sport tourer? How about a naked 1000 version. Etc...

This wasn't intended to be a bash Suzuki thread, I was attempting to praise
BMW for moving innovation forward, yet again. However I guess, as other
manufactures propel themselves into the future, Suzuki looks more and more
inept sitting in the mud of the past.

Man, you have got to be the most negative, glass-half-empty, member on this board. You just keep on throwing up the same old pee-on-the-cornflakes thread over and over and over again. Tommy Hayden? How quickly you forget a couple of riders named Matt and Ben. And sure, Suzuki didn't change the Busa much from 99 to 07....but they didn't have to...they were the kings of the streets and sales went up every freakin year which is an unbelieveable marketing coup. The Z1000? What has that got to do with the price of tea in China? It isn't a superbike contender and its not a top speed contender so its not relevant to this conversation. BMW produces one good bike in the sportbike wars and you are ready to throw up the white flag? Suzuki has produced how many revolutionary sportbikes over the past 30 years? As for the VFR not getting any negative press you must be pretty selective about what you read and watch because I have seen plenty of disappointing reviews from Honda flag wavers who were hoping for a harder edged bike than what Big Red delivered. You like to accuse everyone of drinking kool-aid but you need to realize that there is a difference between loyalty and cult-like followers. I am loyal to Suzuki because they make, and have made over the past 35 years, some great sportbikes that I really love. I am also loyal to Yamaha for similar reasons but not to the same degree. Honda makes some great bikes too but I have only owned their cars (many). Loyalty does not make me blind to corporate issues or difficulties in the markets. Suzuki is having a period of regrouping right now but have some faith that they will be back on top soon enough. Keep history in mind when bashing and praising.

Man, you have got to be the most negative, glass-half-empty, member on this board. You just keep on throwing up the same old pee-on-the-cornflakes thread over and over and over again. Tommy Hayden? How quickly you forget a couple of riders named Matt and Ben. And sure, Suzuki didn't change the Busa much from 99 to 07....but they didn't have to...they were the kings of the streets and sales went up every freakin year which is an unbelieveable marketing coup. The Z1000? What has that got to do with the price of tea in China? It isn't a superbike contender and its not a top speed contender so its not relevant to this conversation. BMW produces one good bike in the sportbike wars and you are ready to throw up the white flag? Suzuki has produced how many revolutionary sportbikes over the past 30 years? As for the VFR not getting any negative press you must be pretty selective about what you read and watch because I have seen plenty of disappointing reviews from Honda flag wavers who were hoping for a harder edged bike than what Big Red delivered. You like to accuse everyone of drinking kool-aid but you need to realize that there is a difference between loyalty and cult-like followers. I am loyal to Suzuki because they make, and have made over the past 35 years, some great sportbikes that I really love. I am also loyal to Yamaha for similar reasons but not to the same degree. Honda makes some great bikes too but I have only owned their cars (many). Loyalty does not make me blind to corporate issues or difficulties in the markets. Suzuki is having a period of regrouping right now but have some faith that they will be back on top soon enough. Keep history in mind when bashing and praising.

First off I'm not negative but I do see things as they are hold people/corporations/politians...
whatever the case may be accountable based on WHAT I SEE. I don't write 'em
a blank check with a hope and prayer and tip the happy cup home.

Your missing it...Sure the Busa was greatest thing since sliced bread for a few years
BUT SO WAS THE CONCOURSE...best sport tourer IMHO and they listened to
their customers and IMPROVED (take notes) on already the best bike in it's
class.

How hard would it have been for Suzuki to throw on better brakes (for example)
on the '03...or '04, '05, '06. And now after a Gen 1.5 update the kool-aid drinkers
revel in how great the brakes are...DUH...and Big Deal. The '07 had the same
brakes as the '99, it would be a difficult feat NOT to upgrade them.

Marketing Coup...Bold New Graphics :rofl:...The original busa was GENIUS pure
and simple, the rest of the world has been catching up (and passing) for years
while the Genius and philosophy behind the original busa is all but GONE at
Suzuki.

What has Z1000 to do with the price of tea in china...(again, you've missed it)
this isn't about solely high performace, it's overall COMPANY INNOVATION and
COMMITMENT to it's customers. Suzuki is rating a ZERO on that scale. It's not
just about superbikes.

What magazines do read...just about all of 'em..really. Give me an article
you are refering to that pans the new VFR.

And I don't just read, this is quote and a list of the bikes I've demo' from
2009 (and it's grown since then)

I love bikes are there are a lot of really good ones out there.
The bikes I've demo'd
MXs = Multiple times - ususally from 4-8 rides

Suzuki:
B-king (MXs)
SV650
M109R (MXs)
C109RT

Aprilia
RSV 1000 R
TUONO 1000 R

Kawasaki:
ZX-14 (MXs)
Concours (MXs)
ZX10R (MXs)
Vulcan 2000LT
MeanStreet

Yami/Star:
R1 (MXs)
FZ1 (couple times)
Strato/Roadliners (MXs)
Raider (MXs)
New V-Max
Vstar 1300
Royal Star Venture
FJR 1300A

Honda:
Goldwing (Mxs)
Interceptor
VTX 1800

BMW:
K1200S
R1200RT

Buell:
1125R
XB12R
XB12S

Triumph:
675 Daytona
Rocket III
Street tripple
America

Victory:
Everything they make multiple times
Hammer S piped is badarsed

Harley:
Everything they make multiple times including
screaming eagle packages and CVO bikes, V-rods, etc.

And probably a few I am forgetting.

lastly you talk about the cup half full...???
What's in the half full cup exactly...

OH Boy.. got some inside scoop ... a letter from the Man that was on the original Busa design team... {quote} We are in the process of doing some more updates to the BUSA. {unquote}
Only time will tell what they may be.....heres hoping for less weight and more cc's. :whistle:

Back