A little history of the Hayabusa

busabrother

Registered
The Kanji (symbol) on the Hayabusa fairing

Finally, more details on the meaning of the graphic adorning (Kanji) our favourite bike !

Further emails from Nomad (UH) has detailed that the symbol does not represent hayato - which actually is a title of a religious man. Furthermore hayato has 2 characters. Hence the pronounciation of the symbol is actually 'jun' or 'hayabusa'. The symbol definitely represents the hayabusa.

For the record this is what I initially worte : According to a Japanese colleague, the Japanese writing on the fairing is pronounced hayato or hayabusa. (See below for new details) Regardless of the pronunciation the symbol has a meaning approximating to strong and fast.

Hayabusa Background

Based on many sources I have ascertained the following historical information about the Hayabusa. The name as you may have not heard comes from the Japanese Peregrine falcon. It is one of the few animals which can travel at about 300km per hour (in a dive). The designer apparently came up with the name whilst walking along the beach and seeing this bird. The colour scheme of gold/bronze and silver are similar to those of the falcon its self.
Believe of not - it is said that this falcon often hunts actual Blackbirds which I still think is a PR stunt !

Having done further research, the 'Japanese Very Fast Train' which travels at about the same speeds is also called the Hayabusa. I think this was this pre-dates the Suzuki use of the Hayabusa term.

*I have recently been informed that the term Hayabusa was also used to name a WWII Japanese aircraft. Designated the KI-43 it was built by the Nakajima conglomerate and was classed a fighter. This was apparently the first use of bird names for aircraft.

The Hayabusa was first rumoured to exist during 1998. It was finally launched in Spain on the Catalunya circuit in April 1999. It joins the lists of top speed limit breaking bikes over the years. In fact it is the first production motorcycle to break the 300kph barrier ! The namer of the bike is reported to be Suzuki Product Planning group - Akihiko Muramatsu.

Logical Competitors : Kawasaki ZZR-1100 | Honda Blackbird CBR1100XX | BMW K1200 | ZX-12R

The Hayabusa is classified as a sports tourer and not a sports bike in the vein of the Fireblade, R1 and the like.
Note that Suzuki promotes the bike as the Ultimate Sports Machine.

*Thxs to the Aviator for the additional information !

In 2000, under threats from authorities in Germany and other countries to ban the sale of such bikes, a voluntary agreement was reached between the four Japanese manufacturers to limit the speed of bikes they produced to 300 kph...hence the speed restrictors placed on 2001 and subsequent models.

As a result it is likely that the 1999 and 2000 models of the Hayabusa will remain for quite some time the fastest production motorcycles ever produced (unmodified).

To add a little bit of info indirectly related, most Japanese designers pick an object when creating a motorcycle, car, etc. For example, the current model Honda Accord was designed after a lion and the Honda Element was designed after a life guard tower.

hey,thank for your information?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

rock.gif

Back