bmw is designing an uncrashable bike

craigntx

Registered
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/09/an-uncrashable-motorcycle-from-bmw/

An uncrashable motorcycle from BMW?
Posted Jan 9th 2008 6:34PM by Jeremy Korzeniewski
Filed under: Etc., Safety, BMW, Motorcycles

BMW has been known to come up with some interesting motorcycle designs, such as the Telelever, Duolever and Paralever suspension configurations. The above image, taken from a recent patent application, proves that the fertile engineering minds at BMW haven't stopped trying to improve the basic two-wheels-and-an-engine ethos of the motorcycle. Using a flexi-frame which pivots and hinges at most any conceivable location, the computer controlled chassis would be able to right itself even when the rider or outside influences would dictate a crash.

We don't have any real specifics to report on, but we'd imagine that some accelerometers and gyros must be in use here... or maybe a Wiimote or two?

Gallery: Uncrashable BMW Motorcycle

I could crash it, send it to me!
beerchug.gif

A cage will crash intoit.

Twotonevert, that was my original avatar I shot with my camera! That's cool you have it.
speedo.jpg

Thanks for posting that up. Definitely different.

Yet another over-engineered attempt at an ubercycle.

I like Beemers, but come on already!

I also remember reading a story about B.M.W. Motorrad Division's so called "development" of the Telelever front end. If I'm remembering it correctly, an independent designer developed the front end now called the Telelever, and mounted it on a Beemer (I can't recall the model). B.M.W. Motorrad gave the designer a "Thanks, but no thanks". A so-called "friend" of the front end's designer went and actually patented the design, unbeknownst to the actual designer. The "friend" then went and sold the patent to B.M.W. Motorrad, who paid handsomely.

I guess you gotta choose your friends wisely.

"some cops in houston are riding bmw's now
guess they tierd of being out-run on their hogs/hondas"

They are riding them out here, as well. They had to replace the Kawis, as they are not making them anymore.

One unfortunate side effect is that the motor officers have become a little too smug and arrogant. They used to return waves when they were on the Kawis. I wonder what happened?

"some cops in houston are riding bmw's now
guess they tierd of being out-run on their hogs/hondas"

They are riding them out here, as well. They had to replace the Kawis, as they are not making them anymore.

One unfortunate side effect is that the motor officers have become a little too smug and arrogant. They used to return waves when they were on the Kawis. I wonder what happened?
they're turning EUROPEAN?
rock.gif

"they're turning EUROPEAN?"

Yes, indeed. As a matter of fact, the local PD sends a couple of motor officers to California, where they are trained by the CHP. They just don't come back the same. The officers that get trained by the CHP, get some kind of trainer's certification, and in turn train the other motor officers. Once that's done, they ALL turn into asshats.

I'll try and find a pic of the local PD and post it.

Didn't someone say they could build a ship that wouldn't sink... whatever happened to that idea???

Back