k1200s vs hayabusa in Aug Issue

forestgump

Registered
Just picked up this copy of the shootout between "The so called Hayabusa killer" BmW and the Busa in Cycle Canada mag, in Canada of course.I will try and shoot the whole story with my digi cam but I cant being at work right now.
Heres some quick comments .
"Start the Haybusa and it seems to jump almost violently with a slight turn of the throttle, producing a deeper and gruffer tone than th bmw.It builds power with astonishing ease, making a transition from hard swinging catapult at low revs to slingshot ferocity beyond 7000 rpm. Both the Suzuki and bmw engines reach their rev limits at 11000, but the Hayabusa is geared taller."
"We were somewhat surprised that in side-by-side roll-ons from low revs,the bmw would get the jump on the hayabusa and pull away,but this seems the result of the bmws highly responsive injection and lower gearing.Once the hayabusa builds some revs it regains the advantage, but its a closer match than the dyno numbers would leave you to believe."

They dynoed the busa 158.1 hp@9500 rpm 96.3 lb-ft
The beamer was 145.2@10,400 rpm and 85 lb-ft.
on the Hindle dyno.

Anyways here is a piece from the tail end....................
"If you look strictly at performance for money, the suzuki seems an amazing value.It is so fast and so slick for such a modest sum.The Hayabusa has been in production for six years and it still seems like an unwordly phenomenom,with astonishing power that makes it seem like you're strapping yourself to a ballistic missle."If it matters to you that the bmw is not quite as quick or fast as the Hayabusa by all means save your money. Overall, though the bmw seems the more advanced design for a sport touring motorcycle, with a greater comfort and a generally superior level of feedback from the engine and chasis.

Gumps personal opinion...........................................This bike costs almost 8000 dollars more,goes slower, might have some newer technology and everything, but to me it looks like a baboons butt on two wheels when I saw it last week on a demo day at the superbike races. LONG LIVE THE BUSA!

gUMP

Just picked up this copy of the shootout between "The so called Hayabusa killer" BmW and the Busa in Cycle Canada mag, in Canada of course.I will try and shoot the whole story with my digi cam but I cant being at work right now.
Heres some quick comments .
"Start the Haybusa and it seems to jump almost violently with a slight turn of the throttle, producing a deeper and gruffer tone than th bmw.It builds power with astonishing ease, making a transition from hard swinging catapult at low revs to slingshot ferocity beyond 7000 rpm. Both the Suzuki and bmw engines reach their rev limits at 11000, but the Hayabusa is geared taller."
"We were somewhat surprised that in side-by-side roll-ons from low revs,the bmw would get the jump on the hayabusa and pull away,but this seems the result of the bmws highly responsive injection and lower gearing.Once the hayabusa builds some revs it regains the advantage, but its a closer match than the dyno numbers would leave you to believe."

They dynoed the busa 158.1 hp@9500 rpm 96.3 lb-ft
The beamer was 145.2@10,400 rpm and 85 lb-ft.
on the Hindle dyno.

Anyways here is a piece from the tail end....................
"If you look strictly at performance for money, the suzuki seems an amazing value.It is so fast and so slick for such a modest sum.The Hayabusa has been in production for six years and it still seems like an unwordly phenomenom,with astonishing power that makes it seem like you're strapping yourself to a ballistic missle."If it matters to you that the bmw is not quite as quick or fast as the Hayabusa by all means save your money. Overall, though the bmw seems the more advanced design for a sport touring motorcycle, with a greater comfort and a generally superior level of feedback from the engine and chasis.

Gumps personal opinion...........................................This bike costs almost 8000 dollars more,goes slower, might have some newer technology and everything, but to me it looks like a baboons butt on two wheels when I saw it last week on a demo day at the superbike races. LONG LIVE THE BUSA!

gUMP
Long live the King
cool.gif

just think how many speed mods you can do with the $8000 you save on the Busa. The BMW looks OK but it still does not look as good as the Busa. I cant wait to see how many problems they have with the shaft drive pushing 150hp.

I've ridden one(right before I bought the Bus), and there is no way its going to win in straight line performance. Its a VERY nice bike tho, albeit a bit ugly. Its very refined, smooth as silk, and does everythink well (although it takes a bit of steering effort and I really didnt get comfortable throwing it into corners given the short ride). Personally, if they were the same price, I'd still own the busa just for the raw performance and with the price difference its no contest. For a few $100's my bike is as comfortable, its faster and could easily be MUCH faster, for a few more 1000's I could have better brakes and better suspension. All in all if you took the price difference and spent it on the busa it would dominate the BMW in just about every category. It is a VERY nice bike tho just not my ultimate choice but its definitely up there(beats out the FJR IMO).

Back