BMW K1200S

Gpirelli

Registered
I know there was a post recently about the new BMW coming out in October, but I just picked up the Cycle World issue featuring this bike, and I was surprised.  They're trying so hard to come up with something to beat the Busa.  In the mag they're claiming 91 ft. lbs of torque and 157 hp:  CycleWorld  On  the BMW website they're talking about over 160 hp.  To me the thing looks like a Honda Blackbird wanna be.  They even admitted to aiming specifically at the Blackbird, more so then the Busa.  The technology seems to be there, but at $17-20 G's, I don't think we'll be seeing too many of them on the road.  Needless to say, they need to get off the Hayabusa's nuts.  
mad.gif

Here's the Honda...I mean BMW website for this puppy:  Blackbirdwannabe just click on the K1200S link.  What do you guys think?

yes i read that artical
notice on the cover it says come hell or hayabusa (or something like that)
well guess what?
hayabusa has been around for awhile and its stayin:;):

I like it... Anyone know when it's supposed to hit the show rooms? Maybe BMW could inspire Suzuki and the rest of the far east bunch to start paying some attention to detail?

I dunno if I would buy one, But I am going to go look at one... very interesting...

I actually think the bike is sharp....kinda the ole man's Busa. Personally I think we just added a new dish to the menu. Getting tired of Ninja salad and Blackbird pie. Got a lil BIMMER pasta now!
tounge.gif
Someone else gunnin who'll have to get chopped off at the knees
sad.gif

BD

I like it...  Anyone know when it's supposed to hit the show rooms?  Maybe BMW could inspire Suzuki and the rest of the far east bunch to start paying some attention to detail?

I dunno if I would buy one, But I am going to go look at one...  very interesting...
REALLY? Is that why you bashed on how ugly it was when I first posted about it... geeeeze....
poke.gif

Er, ok, it's "beemer" not "bimmer." Bimmers are the cars.

If attention to detail includes all of the stupid problems I had with my '02 K1200RS, I can wait.

All of those figures are at the crank, I believe. A shaft drive sucks off up to 20% off the engine's power.

Good point, mcoyote....forgot how much the shaft robs from the output....but if this thing really does come to the party with 170+ hp, I'll be takin' a look....

I like it...  Anyone know when it's supposed to hit the show rooms?  Maybe BMW could inspire Suzuki and the rest of the far east bunch to start paying some attention to detail?

I dunno if I would buy one, But I am going to go look at one...  very interesting...
I think they said its supposed to go on sale Oct-Nov time frame. Don't get me wrong, I give BMW credit for taking on such competition, but the only true originality I see is the hi-tech front suspension. It looks too much like the Honda Blackbird. The Busa is still the standard by which all are measured by. and for that price, I'll still be at the Suzuki dealer buying two Busa's for the price of one BMW. I think it might be more 'user-friendly' then a Busa...
I agree with you though, Suzuki does need to get up off they're behinds and put a little bit more effort into the Busa dept...I think we could all go for some slight changes for the better.

I wouldn't swap my used busa for a brand new one of those. I'd buy a busa for 10k if that bike had a price of 6k... Does absolutely nothin' for me at all...

I wouldn't swap my used busa for a brand new one of those. I'd buy a busa for 10k if that bike had a price of 6k... Does absolutely nothin' for me at all...
And that is why some folks drive BMW's while others drive Chevys and Fords.

Honestly, that is the best comparison I can give you. Maybe a good comparison is a BMW M5 vs. a Mustang Cobra... both fast. The Cobra will mop up the M5 in the 1/4, but for sophistication and ride "quality", the Beamer is hard to beat.

If BMW did want to build the fastest bike in the world, they could... but that is not what they are trying to do!

I don't think they want to compete with the Busa, they are two completely different machines. The BMW has anti-lock brakes, heated hand grips, etc. etc. etc. to make it a true sport-touring machine. I am a BMW fan and really looking for a GS1150 Adventurer to add to the stable...

No offense train, but I was thinking about what you said... if someone wanted to trade you a bike that is worth double what your's is worth, you wouldn't do that???

I would have traded by n/a Busa in a heart beat for a bike worth $15k... true, I may have sold the $15k bike and bought a Busa, but it is hard to mess with simple math.

And that is why some folks drive BMW's while others drive Chevys and Fords.

Honestly, that is the best comparison I can give you.  Maybe a good comparison is a BMW M5 vs. a Mustang Cobra...  both fast.  The Cobra will mop up the M5 in the 1/4, but for sophistication and ride "quality", the Beamer is hard to beat.

If BMW did want to build the fastest bike in the world, they could... but that is not what they are trying to do!

I don't think they want to compete with the Busa, they are two completely different machines.  The BMW has anti-lock brakes, heated hand grips, etc. etc. etc. to make it a true sport-touring machine.   I am a BMW fan and really looking for a GS1150 Adventurer to add to the stable...
good analogy, Doc....I went years thinking that Mercedes' were over rated and over priced....then I bought one. The quality and level of service I've received changed my mind instantly....I'm an owner for life.

I don't think they want to compete with the Busa, they are two completely different machines.  The BMW has anti-lock brakes, heated hand grips, etc. etc. etc. to make it a true sport-touring machine.   I am a BMW fan and really looking for a GS1150 Adventurer to add to the stable...
You have a good point. They are two completely different machines, and perhaps BMW may not be aiming specifically at the Hayabusa market, they did use a Hayabusa in their research, along with a Blackbird (I'm not sure about the ZX-12R). I think it was more the magazine's point of view that got my attention, with captions like "Busa Beater" and "Germany takes on Japan come Hell or Hayabusa."

REALLY?  Is that why you bashed on how ugly it was when I first posted about it...  geeeeze....    
poke.gif
Um, you sure get twitchy when someone pokes at BMW bro... Yeah I said BMW tends to build some ugly assed bikes, but while I expressed my opinion that I doubt the NEW bike would be pretty, or Symmetrical I never said the new one is ugly... At least I didn't see it... I'm a Beemer fan, I love their cars... I still think they get liquored up to design the bikes... Though this time it would appear that a sober engineer snuck in... The new bikes design still isn't really all that... at least if were talking over all design or body work, but that rear end is smoking and the front suspension is amazing...

So I can appreciate the inner Beauty, even when something is GS, or New 7/6/5 Series Fugly…. Please someone rescue Beemer’s designs, and keep the new guy away from the 3 series…. Still pretty certain I never slammed the new liter bike though Doc… I could be wrong… But you’ll have to find the quote…
smile.gif

but what's up with that front suspension? ? ? Can you really feel the road at 167 er I mean 67 with all that linkage and turning pins and springs and such? I'm not against new things but it should be low maintence also. Anybody checkout that front fork setup?

Um, you sure get twitchy when someone pokes at BMW bro...  Yeah I said BMW tends to build some ugly assed bikes, but while I expressed my opinion that I doubt the NEW bike would be pretty, or Symmetrical I never said the new one is ugly...  
[/QUOTE]
No worries Rev. Obviously I do not rely solely on one bike, variety is the spice of life! The only thing I do find amusing is the constant worry about someone building a faster bike... I love the Busa for many reasons, but thinking I am the fastest squid in town isn't one of them. That said, my main point is (and has been) that BMW is not trying to compete with the Busa and build a Hayabusa-sleigher... if they wanted to do that, they would have put weight-loss as a first priority (like the ZX10R). The comparisons to the Busa were drawn by the motorcycle magazines (from my very limited research), if BMW truly did that, I would love to see a citation. The article I read clearly stated that de-throning the Hayabusa was not a design goal... Triumph was another story... If someone wants to build a bike that is faster than the Busa, it is pretty easy to do... turbo, large displacement, etc. etc. etc. The thing is, who does the market appeal to, especially in a speed-restricted environment... Hell, if you want a crazy fast bike, PLEASE BUY MY TURBO BIKE!!! PLEASE!!!!

rant.gif

Back