BMW K 1200 S vs Hayabusa -- a review!

Short Story: When I was 16 years old living in mid '70s south florida I owned and rode a Honda CB360T....an old man down the street from me owned a 750 FOUR...he was my riding buddy and motorcycling mentor....6 months later he traded-in his 750 towards a New Beamer...which he loved at first until it snapped a throttle cable 3 months after he got it...then his Beamer stayed parked for almost 3 months as he awaited a new cable from germany...and as soon as the new cable went on???...so did a "FOR SALE" sign....and a few weeks later a new GL1000 was parked in the Beamers place and the old man lived happily ever after.

Any Questions???
tounge.gif

Edit/PS...oh and...word was the beamer handled great...when it ran...not much has changed eh??? LOL!!!!

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114180869 -->

good thing about BMW motorcycle motors.... enough room to fry up some bacon on the way to work................

I've gotta bail this board. Too much trashing anything but 'Busa. C'mon guys, more substance and less bull$hit.

The BMW's are reliable as hell. I can tell stories about many broken bike garage queens with respect to Yammies, Kaw, Harleys, and yes, Suzuki's as one can with BMW's. To suggest BMW's are poorly engineered or always breaking is bullbutter.

Half the Suzuki dealers are $hit. On the side of the road a few weeks ago with a blown rear tire (300 miles on my '05 'Busa) and the closest dealer 30 miles away,they couldn't help get me to their dealership and didn't even have a damn replacement tire. My dealership here in town put me 3 weeks out for the first service 'cause they're too busy doing ATV and Jet Ski crap. The BMW dealer here in town is $10 an hour cheaper on labor, 100x more friendly, and infinitely more professional.

The K1200S is a kickass bike and has some pluses and some minuses over the 'Busa. Nobody's more disappointed with the $20k out the door price of an ABS and electronic suspension 12S than the BMW dealers. They had hoped to be selling lots of them at $15k and are getting their noses bloody at the higher than promised price.

I'm an example of the 2 fer 1's. I did buy a pair of '05 'Busas rather than a K1200S but...I'm not mean mouthing BMW for anything other than what they deserve. The bike's too expensive...period.

Elliot

lol wish this topic had a sensable person starting it,i own a bmw and a busa as a touring bike the seats i find more comfortable than the busa.
the busa in my mind is not a touring bike at all.bmw revolve there bikes around touring,and i think thery shouldnt have made a bike to try and compare against it.
wink.gif
(get ya head round that)....lol

I've gotta bail this board. Too much trashing anything but 'Busa. C'mon guys, more substance and less bull$hit.

The BMW's are reliable as hell. I can tell stories about many broken bike garage queens with respect to Yammies, Kaw, Harleys, and yes, Suzuki's as one can with BMW's. To suggest BMW's are poorly engineered or always breaking is bullbutter.

Half the Suzuki dealers are $hit. On the side of the road a few weeks ago with a blown rear tire (300 miles on my '05 'Busa) and the closest dealer 30 miles away,they couldn't help get me to their dealership and didn't even have a damn replacement tire. My dealership here in town put me 3 weeks out for the first service 'cause they're too busy doing ATV and Jet Ski crap. The BMW dealer here in town is $10 an hour cheaper on labor, 100x more friendly, and infinitely more professional.

The K1200S is a kickass bike and has some pluses and some minuses over the 'Busa. Nobody's more disappointed with the $20k out the door price of an ABS and electronic suspension 12S than the BMW dealers. They had hoped to be selling lots of them at $15k and are getting their noses bloody at the higher than promised price.

I'm an example of the 2 fer 1's. I did buy a pair of '05 'Busas rather than a K1200S but...I'm not mean mouthing BMW for anything other than what they deserve. The bike's too expensive...period.

Elliot
Sumpt'in tells me your holding back....so c'mon...spill it.

Jinkster, yeah, you're right. I did have too much to say on that one. Just kinda got torqued over the "it's 'Busa or it's crap" mentality. There were actually lots of good posts in this thread. Friday's are tough for this ol' feller. It's about BUD LITE time.

Elliot
40__s.gif

Jinkster, yeah, you're right. I did have too much to say on that one. Just kinda got torqued over the "it's 'Busa or it's crap" mentality. There were actually lots of good posts in this thread. Friday's are tough for this ol' feller. It's about BUD LITE time.

Elliot  
40__s.gif
NP...I can relate...and there is much truth that it's very easy for many to become zealots when they own the fastest production motorcycle in the world....but my personal distain for beamers new K1200S began the day they billed it as a "Busa Beater"....which btw was a couple months before I myself became a Busa Rider/Owner...and even then I knew BMW was once again F.O.S. and "attention getting" with BS claims...with an end result of both "Disapppointment" annnd..."Over-pricing".

I've gotta bail this board. Too much trashing anything but 'Busa. C'mon guys, more substance and less bull$hit.[/QUOTE]

Yes, giving opinions is a horrible thing.  I understand *pats head*

The BMW's are reliable as hell. I can tell stories about many broken bike garage queens with respect to Yammies, Kaw, Harleys, and yes, Suzuki's as one can with BMW's. To suggest BMW's are poorly engineered or always breaking is bullbutter.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure, and I don't think anyone's really said any different.  But by far, with the people I know and ride with, the amount of complaints about reliability, surging issues, and general problems are far more prevalent in people who ride or have ridden BMWs than other marks.

Anecdotal?  Perhaps, but when people here are coming up with actual reasons as to why they percieve the BMW to be poorl engineered or of questionable design to their own sensibilities, to say their opinions aren't worth listening to simply because you don't agree, well, that's just a load of crap.

Half the Suzuki dealers are $hit. On the side of the road a few weeks ago with a blown rear tire (300 miles on my '05 'Busa) and the closest dealer 30 miles away,they couldn't help get me to their dealership and didn't even have a damn replacement tire. My dealership here in town put me 3 weeks out for the first service 'cause they're too busy doing ATV and Jet Ski crap.[/QUOTE]

The one here sold me a set of Metzler M1s on the cheap and stayed late to install them because I limped in with a nail in the back tire of mine, and he said he'd rather do that than have me out on an unsafe tire or mismatched pair with conflicting profiles.  Maybe it's just your sealer that's crap.  Or maybe they just don't like you.
wink.gif
<===(please note the smiley! I'm kidding!)

As for them being "too busy doing ATV and Jet Ski crap," are you complaining because you figure you're far more important than other customers are?  These people who also had to schedule times to bring their vehicles in to be worked on shoudl have to wait longer because you're just THAT important?

The BMW dealer here in town is $10 an hour cheaper on labor, 100x more friendly, and infinitely more professional.[/QUOTE]

The one here is known for ignoring people unless they outwardly show signs of people being worth a lot -- legitimate customers will often get walked away from or  outright ignored if someone comes in riding or driving an expensive vehicle, simply because they're more about the dollar signs than the people.  Not professional.

Horse for courses.

The K1200S is a kickass bike and has some pluses and some minuses over the 'Busa. Nobody's more disappointed with the $20k out the door price of an ABS and electronic suspension 12S than the BMW dealers. They had hoped to be selling lots of them at $15k and are getting their noses bloody at the higher than promised price.[/QUOTE]

Oh well.  That's the price of being a dealer for a company that thinks its brand is so exclusive that having that mark on the bike raises the price a few grand.

I'm an example of the 2 fer 1's. I did buy a pair of '05 'Busas rather than a K1200S but...I'm not mean mouthing BMW for anything other than what they deserve. The bike's too expensive...period.[/QUOTE]

Meh.  In your opinion.  In others it's not worth that much.  In others it might be worth twice as much.  Who knows.

But if the idea of accepting other people's opinions that don't jibe with your own is so distasteful that you need to take your ball and go home, well, I dunno what to say.

<!--EDIT|RandomNickname
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114202267 -->

Responding to your responses could end up in a real longwinded let's piss on each other's Cornflakes so I'll not take the challenge too far but...

Wonder how many of the BMW bashers actually have owned BMW's? I've owned 3 and they have been stellar when it comes to repair incidences. I don't buy them as a result of their "badge" but rather their assets. I've also had many other bikes and brands and just find the Ford vs Chevy decal with the bad boys pissing on one another to be crap. The surging issue was a result of some MC mag reports. The K1200S hasn't been retailed long enough (1st one delivered in SW Florida was last week) for reliable owner reports at least here.

Your remark about my "being more important" than the ATV or Jet Ski owners is BS. I own both and my complaint was having to wait 3 weeks + for them to do a oil change and general survey. I think that's a legitimate beef and if your dealer who sounds like a high quality dealer was to put you or any other customer out that long in addition to their parts counter where you wait 30 minutes to talk to a surley 18 year old, you would perhaps think it's a dealer issue not an attitude on my part issue.

I admitted to being a bit longwinded on something that has been prevelant on some threads of this board. 'Busa's are great (and I truly believe that) and everything else sucks (I don't believe that one). I'll let you have the last word on this one 'cause I've said more than I should have already.

Elliot

Your remark about my "being more important" than the ATV or Jet Ski owners is BS. I own both and my complaint was having to wait 3 weeks + for them to do a oil change and general survey. I think that's a legitimate beef and if your dealer who sounds like a high quality dealer was to put you or any other customer out that long in addition to their parts counter where you wait 30 minutes to talk to a surley 18 year old, you would perhaps think it's a dealer issue not an attitude on my part issue.
[/QUOTE]

You made it sound like your were miffed because other legitimate customers were getting their vehicles worked on, and because of the volume of them and the amount of work people available at the counter putting appointments out by three weeks was giving you hurt. Maybe I misread it. But the fact is that most dealers of any bikes have waits for service, simply because demand outweighs supply (in the form of techs) by a huge amount, but to fault them for that, and the need to put people in a queue to get there work done, regardless of the vehicle worked on or the work needed was what strikes me as out of place.

I'm sure one of the things that helps both BMW (and my local Suzuki dealer) is that they deal with one brand (and with BMWs, only street-going motorcycles), rather than most "SuperDealers" which have the same amount of techs on hand/floor space in the repair area, but four or five brands and differing vehicle types to deal with.

Didn't mean to make it sound as bad as it did.

Unfortunately, the "SuperDealers" you refer to are exactly what we deal with here in SW Florida. Even the BMW dealer handles Arctic Cat ATV's and now the full line of Triumphs. Unlike the Suzuki dealer though, the BMW guys have seasoned, commissioned techs that are motivated to get the jobs in and get them done...well and with great attitudes. I've had to wait there as well but never in excess of 2 weeks and that's when they're overloaded from the snowbirds hitting town. Parts counter has 2 folks that I've seen there 3 years and are 30 some odd years old. Great knowledge and great attitude. You are 100% right that having a dealer devoted to one or perhaps two brands is much more desireable.

The Suzuki "Super Dealer" here also handles Honda, Yamaha, Vento, Polaris and loads of ancillary companies. Full line of everything. Sportbikes to dirt bikes to cruisers, touring, ATV, watercraft, you name it. Their parts counter is made up of young pups with an attitude and it's the typical automotive parts counter mentality. Stand there in person for 30 minutes while they take and work the damn phone calls. Someone calls in fishing around for a part they may or may not want while I've been standing there ready to grab my part and give them the green but I get no service. Ever been there?

The service bays are the same. High turnover, low wages, bad attitudes. The same tech that works on your 'Busa is working on a Honda Goldwing, a Vento, a Yamaha Roadstar, a Suzuki 125 dirt bike. Not to mention the crossover of doing the ATV's and PWC.

I'm just a bitching old cynic. I still remember and miss the days of going into a hardware store or Sears and having a hunched over old guy tell you exactly what you needed to know from his 40 years of experience there. Now it's Home Depot or Lowes and a 19 year old with an attitude who doesn't know $hit. That's my wrinkle with the dealers in this part of the world.

Damn me. My bad attitude took me 100 miles from the subject of this thread. Ok, the 'Busa is almost half the money and twice as good. THERE!

Elliot

Well ain't this a heap 'a cold cobbler...

Folks are kneeling down and kissing 04Busa's ring because he wrote a comparo of his bike -vs- the ever-so hated and despised K12S and he says the Busa is better...

And you thought the MCN article was biased...

But this one isn't...

And once again we're treated to the sad Uncle Bob story (which just must be true, right) about a three month wait on a common part...

Y'all are just too cool for school.

bluegrab.gif

Folks are kneeling down and kissing 04Busa's ring because he wrote a comparo of his bike -vs- the ever-so hated and despised K12S and he says the Busa is better...

But this one isn't...

And once again we're treated to the sad Uncle Bob story (which just must be true, right) about a three month wait on a common part...

bluegrab.gif
Man...you might as well gone to a corvette convention and tried championing the new shelby mustang dude as I'm fairly certain you'd get a very simular response from the crowd but..it's a big surprise to you eh?? LOL!!!!

Truth is the competitions so heated in the motorcycle industry that the market place just won't tolerate anything much less than perfection and the manufacturers know it...so...they're all great...but bmw's delivery of touting a "Busa Beater" and then in stereotypical beemer fashion...coming up short...and then...over-pricing the competition by about 150% regardless
rock.gif

Suzi's design team presented the original B-King CONCEPT with heads up display, turbos and a host of other cool but impractical gadgetry that they dis-cluded from the real macoy to offer up a reasonably competitive price point B-King...but BMW is gonna tack on $6,000-$8,000 more for what?..Electronic Push Button Suspension
rock.gif
and force it on us as "Standard Equipment"
rock.gif
and we're supposed to gobble it up eh
rock.gif
Or it's..."You Guys Are Slanted"
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114435906 -->

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

But this one isn't...

bluegrab.gif
I knew it was only a matter of time before you came back in and started your whining again.  Thanks for not disappointing.

Of course, I'm also not surprised that you DIDN'T show up in the other K1200S thread that had a link to this review of the BMW.

Especially considering this quote:  For a BMW it's still very quick, and up against most cars the K1200S will come out on top, but its rival superbikes will shrug it aside like an autumn leaf. The Suzuki Hayabusa's immense, exhilarating waves of torque and power are from another world, while the ageing Honda Blackbird has a power delivery that's Chinese silk to the K1200's 150-grit sandpaper.

But I suppose they're just biased and just kissing the Busa's ring, too, huh? And the Honda's too? Or could you just be a troll?

<!--EDIT|RandomNickname
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114454875 -->

But this one isn't...

bluegrab.gif
I knew it was only a matter of time before you came back in and started your whining again.  Thanks for not disappointing.
Who's whining, Random, certainly not me as I don't have a dog in either fight...

Of course, I'm also not surprised that you DIDN'T show up in the other K1200S thread that had a link to this review of the BMW.

Especially considering this quote:  For a BMW it's still very quick, and up against most cars the K1200S will come out on top, but its rival superbikes will shrug it aside like an autumn leaf. The Suzuki Hayabusa's immense, exhilarating waves of torque and power are from another world, while the ageing Honda Blackbird has a power delivery that's Chinese silk to the K1200's 150-grit sandpaper. [/QUOTE]

Which shreds and disposes of your opening line quite handily since, if I were prone to whining, I would have responded in that thread...
laugh.gif

Yes I read the thread and the quotes, and are you sitting down? I have no quarrel with them. As I've said all along, there are many reviews to come. Only a fool would expect his favorite to win every time and whine when it doesn't... Oh wait, that seems to describe you to a tee, now doesn't it.
poke.gif

So get over your bad self Random, these are just articles and this is just the internet.

But I suppose they're just biased and just kissing the Busa's ring, too, huh?  And the Honda's too?  Or could you just be a troll?[/QUOTE]

Answer this question, Random - Is the Busa currently sitting on the top of the mountain?

If your answer is no, then you may have a valid issue with me. If your answer is yes, then STFU, be nice and understand that everyone's shooting at the title.

Now you can go back to your binky...

Steve

Man...you might as well gone to a corvette convention and tried championing the new shelby mustang dude as I'm fairly certain you'd get a very simular response from the crowd but..it's a big surprise to you eh?? LOL!!!!

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Oh, and Bill, you're right on the money - I often feel like a Shelby man at a Corvette convention...
biggrin.gif
war.gif

But what do you do when you like both??

Steve

Who's whining, Random, certainly not me as I don't have a dog in either fight...
Then I suggest that it is you who should STFU and discuss only those things with which you have personal experience......
I knew you couldn't leave this topic alone, and once again here you are prattling on about bikes you've not owned. 04Busa rode the bike, but we're kissing his ring because he liked the Busa better?  I'm looking forward to BentValves comparison also, will he be wrong if he too favors the Busa? BMW said they were targeting the Busa and they missed the mark, plain and simple. This in no way diminishes the BMW as a bike, it just didn't do what they hoped it would. I'm sure you will come back with a post supporting your superior intellect, or knocking me in some way, but if you like the German bike and think it the Busa's equal or even superior, go buy one, join a BMW board and leave us alone.

<!--EDIT|Mr Brown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114484292 -->

Back