Building a Hayabusa Super Bike over time VS Aprilia ,BMW , Ducati

I think that's the common understanding that c10 is trying to combat. Great handling is a combination of chassis setup and low weight, both of which are addressed with RJ....

Agreed but chassis geometry comes into play as well. My Ohlins/Race Tech equipped Busa does exceptionally well for a big bike but the Tuono is on another level handling wise. I carry 10-15 mph higher on it down roads I've ridden countless times. Granted, it might be that the Aprilia fits my style in particular better.

Agreed but chassis geometry comes into play as well. My Ohlins/Race Tech equipped Busa does exceptionally well for a big bike but the Tuono is on another level handling wise. I carry 10-15 mph higher on it down roads I've ridden countless times. Granted, it might be that the Aprilia fits my style in particular better.
Many of the current superbikes are tried, trued and tested on the tracks whereas the Hayabusa was never designed as a track bike. The R&D on those platforms is on going which adds to their potency.

R&D on the Hayabusa is being done by users and done well...Suzuki needs to take note-if they're smart they will.

Hats off to the Suzuki engineers who were able to design a bike over 20 yrs ago which can be even in the running today.

Handling is more than being light. It's mass centralization, CG, suspension, and of course geometry. Modern sport bikes have a lot of handling know-how built in and modern computers allow a staggering level of refinement. The Hayabusa was designed to be stable - that's baked in. However I agree a bike handles it will certainly do it better with less weight, that's physics (no aftermarket for that). But a sport bike just feels different from a hyperbike. Like I always say: A sport bike turns and you have to make it go straight; A Busa goes straight and you have to make it turn.

I know people don't like rider aids here but they work and when you are waiting to roll on the throttle those guys are WFO and being shot out of a corner or waiting well past the last minute to grab a handful of brakes.

If you haven't ridden a top end modern sport bike, you really need to. It is a true eye opening experience.

I almost bought an Aprilia RSV1K, it was slightly used but in like new condition and sexy as heck..

I wasn't able to take it for a test ride so I sat on it in the showroom (it was on stands) for about 1/2 hr...I could barely get off it. I knew then it was not the bike for me...

It had Akrapovic exhaust on it and sounded amazing though, almost good enough to over look the pain it caused me...

Ok, Im gonna stir the pot.
As I mean no disrespect, and actually do agree that one can make the Busa comparative to big dollar rivals, or even better.
This is a very common idea. Dont know how many times people say, "why spend all that money on a GT-500, when u can throw a blower on a GT and be faster for so much less?" Or, "man, I got $20 k in my Honda and it will smoke a Lambo."
They may not be wrong. However. Oem for oem, some cars are much better (bikes inferred). Can u make an oem better? Absolutely. Is it fair to compare to a high dollar oem exotic? I dont believe so. Is it a better fun per dollar? Im sure it is,
I guess what I am trying to say is this...do what u like to ur toys. We all bought the Busa vs another bike for a plethora of reasons.
I will say that buying an exotic, you are more likely to leave it alone, as far as perf mods go vs a Suzi/Yami/Kawi.
Ok. Let er rip! Lol
And for the record, if some are unaware, I bought the big Bus instead of some of the exotics strickly because the Busa has been one of my fav bikes ever built...well, obviously THE fav, as that is what I rode home!
Troy

I'll say this: it doesn't matter what it is from the factory, if it has a motor, it can be made measureably better. Modifying comes down to owner preference and priorities. For some the priority is value for money, for some it's having the comfort of a factory warranty, for some it's all out performance, for some it's to have the reputation associated with the machine, etc etc.
I've said for many years that this bike, in either generation, is hands down the best motorcycle platform ever made. You can do whatever you want with it, it is supremely capable of being set up to do anything you ask of it.

Ok, Im gonna stir the pot.
As I mean no disrespect, and actually do agree that one can make the Busa comparative to big dollar rivals, or even better.
This is a very common idea. Dont know how many times people say, "why spend all that money on a GT-500, when u can throw a blower on a GT and be faster for so much less?" Or, "man, I got $20 k in my Honda and it will smoke a Lambo."
They may not be wrong. However. Oem for oem, some cars are much better (bikes inferred). Can u make an oem better? Absolutely. Is it fair to compare to a high dollar oem exotic? I dont believe so. Is it a better fun per dollar? Im sure it is,
I guess what I am trying to say is this...do what u like to ur toys. We all bought the Busa vs another bike for a plethora of reasons.
I will say that buying an exotic, you are more likely to leave it alone, as far as perf mods go vs a Suzi/Yami/Kawi.
Ok. Let er rip! Lol
And for the record, if some are unaware, I bought the big Bus instead of some of the exotics strickly because the Busa has been one of my fav bikes ever built...well, obviously THE fav, as that is what I rode home!
Troy
I agree totally. I'm not trying to make my Busa as good as this or that sport bike at being a sport bike, it's just not going to happen. I'm maxing out my interpretation of the Busa.

They are completely different its amazing.
I've noticed so far

Hayabusa transmission is so smooth.
V4 you have to kick that b1tch into gear. Maybe cause it's only got 200 miles on it and still breaking in.

Hayabusa in a straight line feels like a planted train. Mines turbo so speed cant be compared between the two.
For a 1100cc bike the V4 moves out.
Cant take over 8000 rpm yet as ducati seems to frown upon that.

V4 handles like no ones business. So easy to flick around.
Brakes on the v4 are great.
V4 runs hot. Expected since it's a 14 compression ratio and one head sits directly underneath your balls.

Hayabusa runs so cool in comparison

The v4 you cant tear the engine down and rebuild it with forged everything. You can build a busa with awesome parts for relatively inexpensive. For me this let's me overlook the older electronics and nanny controls.

The v4 is the hot mistress you take to a dinner party and everyone stares at.
The busa is the wife that walks into the party uninvited and knocks that b1tch in the face.

I love them both

You are so correct, shifting is definitely different but the V4 isn't too bad once rolling. You have me beat, I only have 145 miles on my V4. I still have to install my Akro full system and Bren tune, maybe over the winter if I can muster up the energy. Only run up to 165 so far on sport mode short shifting. Had the Bren tune move Rpm to 14,500. Will see if the exhaust and tune cools down a little? Yes quite a bit of electronics on the Ducati, I have wheelie set on 3 I think and it is lifting well over 115 mph.

I still haven't sold most of my turbo stuff for the Hayabusa, Maybe I should pick up another set of rods and have another head done and put together as a street play bike with shorter arm? I have to take it easy though as my health sucks these days! Brain doesn't comprehend body is shot LOL!

LOL No wife anymore so they are all mistresses!:banana:

You are so correct, shifting is definitely different but the V4 isn't too bad once rolling. You have me beat, I only have 145 miles on my V4. I still have to install my Akro full system and Bren tune, maybe over the winter if I can muster up the energy. Only run up to 165 so far on sport mode short shifting. Had the Bren tune move Rpm to 14,500. Will see if the exhaust and tune cools down a little? Yes quite a bit of electronics on the Ducati, I have wheelie set on 3 I think and it is lifting well over 115 mph.

I still haven't sold most of my turbo stuff for the Hayabusa, Maybe I should pick up another set of rods and have another head done and put together as a street play bike with shorter arm? I have to take it easy though as my health sucks these days! Brain doesn't comprehend body is shot LOL!

LOL No wife anymore so they are all mistresses!:banana:

Ok so it seems the akro is the best exhaust for the v4. But at $2k for just slipons...dont get me wrong I can play it's just a huge number for slipons...am I crazy on that? A full system is like 4k.
You've ran the bike up that fast with only those miles? Obviously not waiting like ducati recommends?
Get healthy put a turbo bike together

Ok so it seems the akro is the best exhaust for the v4. But at $2k for just slipons...dont get me wrong I can play it's just a huge number for slipons...am I crazy on that? A full system is like 4k.
You've ran the bike up that fast with only those miles? Obviously not waiting like ducati recommends?
Get healthy put a turbo bike together
No you are not crazy! I thought the slip ons were about 3800.00 when I bought my system, so I got the full system at what was a screaming deal at 4650.00 plus the required lower fairings were 260.00 or 280.00 cant remember. the Bren tuning box was another 1300.00 so that was a big investment but the best parts. I didn't push it too hard, it will run 140 without breaking a sweat, just roll on in 3rd and short shift and waalaa! Those bikes are made to run, life a fine watch!!! You will see, like a race bike with a license plate, not made for touring!
It will be a bad Winter again this year maybe I will try and put the Hayabusa together will see. I still have a Harley in pieces awaiting the new goodies to be installed. Loooong winter.

I almost bought an Aprilia RSV1K, it was slightly used but in like new condition and sexy as heck..

I wasn't able to take it for a test ride so I sat on it in the showroom (it was on stands) for about 1/2 hr...I could barely get off it. I knew then it was not the bike for me...

It had Akrapovic exhaust on it and sounded amazing though, almost good enough to over look the pain it caused me...

Do not sit on or especially ride a Tuono. It will turn your world upside down lol.

What are trying to compare them for? Speed and acceleration?

what you have written up I would have to say the busa would be the win in acceleration and speed. Horsepower is cool and all but what puts the busa ahead. Is that torque....... a busa will out accelerate any of those bikes right on the hit cause of the torque. But the biggest problem I have seeing is people not gearing them correctly and starting in 2nd vs a liter bike in 1st gear.
Great write up.

Back