I gotta head north

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Take a look at the temps around here for the foreseeable future. However, the temps will be taking a dip starting around the 8th & 9th where I’d like to go, Glacier NP in NW Montana. Except for the ride over the Sierras, the afternoon of the first day and most of the second day will be in the high 80s. The farther north I go the better it gets. The last couple of days it will be warm too no matter which route I take. I’ve ridden the Busa up there several times but I have only been to Nevada on the Z. I’m just over 19K on the Z and it’s fully serviced. There are some long straight sections in northern NV and southern OR that I’d prefer to be on the Busa as there’s nothing to see for miles and miles and the Throttlemeister will be missed. The first time I rode up there was in the 70s on a nekkid CB750 with my duffel bag on the seat behind me. Been up there on the 79 CBX too so I’m accustomed to not having a fairing. Hopefully, no strong winds though. In the past seven years I’ve been up there twice, when I got my Vette and when I got my Caddy but it’s been over ten years since I did a multi state m/c tour. Gas is higher and lodging is too. 7-8 motels is around a grand or more! Fuel for 3,000 miles on the Z will be around $300 give or take.

6AC07777-4497-4303-9958-D4A9CE66B304.jpeg
Now, to get the gumption to actually go.

Take a look at the temps around here for the foreseeable future. However, the temps will be taking a dip starting around the 8th & 9th where I’d like to go, Glacier NP in NW Montana. Except for the ride over the Sierras, the afternoon of the first day and most of the second day will be in the high 80s. The farther north I go the better it gets. The last couple of days it will be warm too no matter which route I take. I’ve ridden the Busa up there several times but I have only been to Nevada on the Z. I’m just over 19K on the Z and it’s fully serviced. There are some long straight sections in northern NV and southern OR that I’d prefer to be on the Busa as there’s nothing to see for miles and miles and the Throttlemeister will be missed. The first time I rode up there was in the 70s on a nekkid CB750 with my duffel bag on the seat behind me. Been up there on the 79 CBX too so I’m accustomed to not having a fairing. Hopefully, no strong winds though. In the past seven years I’ve been up there twice, when I got my Vette and when I got my Caddy but it’s been over ten years since I did a multi state m/c tour. Gas is higher and lodging is too. 7-8 motels is around a grand or more! Fuel for 3,000 miles on the Z will be around $300 give or take.

View attachment 1654998 Now, to get the gumption to actually go.
And people still think climate change doesn't exist. In the past years, I would be able to ride almost everyday in the summer because the temperatures were bearable. This was the first summer that i did not ride as much as i wanted to because of the weather.

And people still think climate change doesn't exist. In the past years, I would be able to ride almost everyday in the summer because the temperatures were bearable. This was the first summer that i did not ride as much as i wanted to because of the weather.
I know climate change is real but I question if it is a natural phenomena....I recall even as a kid in the '60s and '70s there were days when it was extremely hot during the summer...the humidity was crazy...as a farm kid we were cognizant of these things as we had to work in the heat.

Climate change is real... the climate has been going through changes for thousands of years... the Sun also goes through changes and when it affects our planet it also affects other planets in this Solar system.

The climate will always be changing... just like the weather in your area... The people at the core of the "Climate Change" drama want you to restrict your consumption of resources while the "Eco manics" using the research they paid for fly around on Jet planes and hire Greta Thornburg ( perfect name for their spokes person that misses school while pretending to be an expert on "Climate Science") to lecture us all about how we are doing it all wrong.

We don't have thousands of years of well documented weather history to check what it was really like then as compared to right now. Add to that one good volcano throws a change in the weather as history has shown us.

In Socal we normally have a hot spell in the summer... maybe a couple of them... about 3 months of fluctuations between hot and warm... the other 9 months are pretty good... snow in the mountains and good riding everywhere in the winter.

Let’s keep on track here. All I want to do is go for a ride w/o sizzling. Climate change is real and humans contribute to it. Beyond that let’s keep politics out of it. We’ve had over 50 triple digits days around here, pretty much unprecedented and I want to ride somewhere north. If you want to talk about Greta or ‘eco manics’ start another thread.

Climate change is real... the climate has been going through changes for thousands of years... the Sun also goes through changes and when it affects our planet it also affects other planets in this Solar system.

The climate will always be changing... just like the weather in your area... The people at the core of the "Climate Change" drama want you to restrict your consumption of resources while the "Eco manics" using the research they paid for fly around on Jet planes and hire Greta Thornburg ( perfect name for their spokes person that misses school while pretending to be an expert on "Climate Science") to lecture us all about how we are doing it all wrong.

We don't have thousands of years of well documented weather history to check what it was really like then as compared to right now. Add to that one good volcano throws a change in the weather as history has shown us.

In Socal we normally have a hot spell in the summer... maybe a couple of them... about 3 months of fluctuations between hot and warm... the other 9 months are pretty good... snow in the mountains and good riding everywhere in the winter.
Is there any thread that isn't political for you? We are going with personal experiences of noticing weather is too hot to ride.

Let’s keep on track here. All I want to do is go for a ride w/o sizzling. Climate change is real and humans contribute to it. Beyond that let’s keep politics out of it. We’ve had over 50 triple digits days around here, pretty much unprecedented and I want to ride somewhere north. If you want to talk about Greta or ‘eco manics’ start another thread.
Do you use any cooling shirts/vests when you go out? If the heat trends continue, I definitely want to look into gear that helps with some sort of cooling.

Do you use any cooling shirts/vests when you go out? If the heat trends continue, I definitely want to look into gear that helps with some sort of cooling.

Absolutely! I have a cooling vest that I soak in water and wear over a thin T shirt under a double ballistic mesh jacket. It’s good for 3-4 hours on a hot day. After it dries I stop, rewet it and go. It’s small enough to store wet inside a large ziplock.

Absolutely! I have a cooling vest that I soak in water and wear over a thin T shirt under a double ballistic mesh jacket. It’s good for 3-4 hours on a hot day. After it dries I stop, rewet it and go. It’s small enough to store wet inside a large ziplock.
Do you ride with leather or mesh jacket? Being in Florida, I have even looked into those “personal air conditioners” I randomly see advertised. I used to wear a tank top and my mesh jacket over it, but now use those 32 degree brand long sleeve shirts and jacket over it and feel better. I also have a camelback pack that I fill and freeze to take with me. I carry a couple of bottles of water to drink and, by the time I start running low on bottles, the camelback starts to defrost and I can drink from it. I have some cooling vests saved on my Amazon’s wishlist that I would like to try, but have not pulled the trigger since I hurt my back and have not been doing much riding this summer.

I'll have to look into one next summer. I saw one at Cycle Gear but wasn't sure if it was worth the money.

Do you ride with leather or mesh jacket? Being in Florida, I have even looked into those “personal air conditioners” I randomly see advertised. I used to wear a tank top and my mesh jacket over it, but now use those 32 degree brand long sleeve shirts and jacket over it and feel better. I also have a camelback pack that I fill and freeze to take with me. I carry a couple of bottles of water to drink and, by the time I start running low on bottles, the camelback starts to defrost and I can drink from it. I have some cooling vests saved on my Amazon’s wishlist that I would like to try, but have not pulled the trigger since I hurt my back and have not been doing much riding this summer.

Mesh (1st sentence) says so. I’ve also converted my tankbag into a cooler with sheets of those refreezable ice cubes. I can carry 3-5 bottles of whatever and no matter where I happen to stop I have something cool to drink. Now, if only there was some way to get cool air to circulate thru the helmet….

Mesh (1st sentence) says so. I’ve also converted my tankbag into a cooler with sheets of those refreezable ice cubes. I can carry 3-5 bottles of whatever and no matter where I happen to stop I have something cool to drink. Now, if only there was some way to get cool air to circulate thru the helmet….
Oops, I missed that, had just woken up from being under general anesthesia for a simple procedure so shouldn’t be typing crap on here. :laugh:!

The cool air in helmet would be awesome!

Whaaa... Whaaa... Whaaa.... The reason I bring this stuff up seem to get you irritated is due to the fact its just another scam in a long line of scams... Remember Al Gores "Inconvieniant Truth"? Same Crap different day. Al said paraphrased... over 10 years ago... The polar caps are going to melt and the costal cities will flood in 10 to 12 years. Well... anti climate change deniers? Did it happen as predicted?

The reason you believe climate change is real is due to the fact the powers that be have been ramming it into your mental processes for years now. When you get your head around the current administration and the directives coming out of WEF and BIS think tanks you start to realize how big the crap show is getting.

So... go out and have a nice ride someplace cool... I am strongly considering taking a ride on the Palm Springs Tram this weekend and just spending the day up there at 9000 ft where it will be in the 70s at least. Even the beach is in the low 80s and a bit sticky... so... have a nice safe ride where ever you go.

I check the temperatures often around the country... Dickinson North Dakota... 73 degrees in the afternoon just the other day... but the roads up there are boring.

Last edited:
I bought one of those $50 wet vest from Cycle Gear a few years ago. I was not impressed with the cooling effect it claimed to provide.

Most of the discomfort from heat in the facial, neck and head area. I just quit a job where it was over 100 degrees every afternoon so I carried a cooler with me with blue ice in it. My savior was the water spray bottle I kept inside... I would spray misty cold water on my face, neck and head. I would then put it in squirt gun mode and shoot my thighs chest and arms.... instant temporary relief from the heat... good for about 10 or 15 minutes when its over a 100... luckily I was in the shade most of the time as a heavy equipment operator under a canopy.

I quit that job 2 Fridays ago Friday and started working in San Diego on a brand new machine ( 349 Cat Excavator ) with good AC ... life is good and I am grateful !!

Last edited:
@WuzzaCBXRider I say phuck it. Hotels and gas ain't going to get cheaper. Temps are only going to continue to rise in the short term.

Remember, we are all gonna die (even @Zerks), nobody is gonna remember most of us, so......phuck it! Go ride man.
I thought we all had eternal lives... no? As far as memorable goes... invent something that changes the world... you will be remembered in certain circles.

Now you are thinking... how do we accomplish this? Necessity is the mother of invention... I think about it often. Cooling wear has been used in auto sports but requires an external pump system...

Along with the absense of decent hills or curves down here that’s another reason that helped me decide to sell my bike. It was absolutely blistering out 9 outta 12 months down here. Too used to wearing full gear as well. Sweat washes off and road rash doesn’t so I could never be comfortable in shorts and tshirt like a lot of people I see down here. Many don’t even wear a helmet. I’d get back from a short morning ride and literally be drenched in sweat. I miss it but not really.
Either way ride safe Wuzza…

Back