I am considering HAYABUSA as my next bike. What problem(s) have you encountered?

Boy, lots of self congratulatory wanking in this thread. :whistle:

If you consider a gen 1 get an '03 or later as by '03 Suzuki had fixed the bendy aluminum sub frame, the clogging fuel filters, the cam chain problems and the starter gear issues. The '03 and later also have the 32 bit upgraded ECU.

Here's a list;

From Suzuki + Haynes manuals:

1999 (GSX1300R-X) - 1st model year.

2000 (GSX1300R-Y):
- Crankcase breather arrangement changed - no oil catch tank + larger breather housing; resulting in a smaller oil capacity.
-Clutch spring length + spring support bolt length increased.
- Fuel feed + return hoses changed + re-routed. Design of fuel level sensor + low level warning switch changed.

2001 (GSX1300R-K1):
- Cam chain tensioner design changed along with its housing to allow reception of oil from the front passage in the crankcase.
- Fuel pump moved inside the tank, incorporating the fuel filter and pressure regulator as well as a mesh strainer and a new fuel level sensor and low level warning switch. Having the pressure regulator inside the tank eliminated the need of the fuel return hose from the delivery rail on the throttle bodies, with the consequence being that the supply hose and fuel delivery rail arrangement was changed.

2002 (GSX1300R-K2):
- Clutch plate arrangement modified to incorporate an anti-rattle spring and spring seat. Clutch release cylinder piston and bore were reduced in diameter.
- Exhaust system incorporates an oxygen sensor which communicated with the ECM to reduce emission levels. To do this, the PAIR system control valve is triggered by a solenoid that is controlled by the ECM.

2003 (GSX1300R-K3):
- Incorporated a torque limiter on the motor idle/reduction gear train to dampen initial torque and reduce stress on individual components.

2004 (GSX1300R-K4):
- No significant changes.

2005 (GSX1300R-K5):
- Headlight electronically turned off during engine start to reduce battery load.
- Graphite LE edition made just slightly faster than other editions.
- First year of clear plastic front turn signals.

2006 (GSX1300R-K6):
- No significant changes.

cheers
ken

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ should be a sticky with info up to 2013

I did it! I picked up my 2012 Black Busa overstocked for a great price. I couldn't pass it up. First ride impression, shifting was smooth and plenty of power even in 6th gear. It's my first day of break-in period so I can't go over 5500 RPM. The ride was smooth but considering having the sag adjusted for my weight. The tires stuck to the pavement. The steering was precise and right on. I'm going to love this as I can tell already. Thanks for all the inputs.

Well done my brother. Now that you've taken the plunge I'll let you know you have purchased the fastest color, that this old girl is hella sneeky quick and goes better than she stops. So get to know her through the break in romance. Have fun and be safe :thumbsup:

There is a general trend about hayabusa owners...buy 1 and keep it for ages, then buy a newer one and keep it ages and so on...some like me venture away to try other bikes and end up coming back...its one of those bikes and no matter how much you mod it you'll still want to do more...not because theres anything that really needs changed but more the fact that you can do mods to it and the list of bits available is endless.

Great thread lads. I'm looking to pick up my first busa in the next few weeks.
I'll do a search about the sub frames as I'd like to tour on mine.
I'm 6'1" and test drove a 03 is cork a few years back. I've been lusting ever since and I totally get the permanent grin.

I think you cemented my choice.

How do the rear bearings hold out to sensible(ish) riding?

Chris,
Cork

I have an '06 model. I absolutely love this bike. I will warn you... it has so much torque and power that it will ruin your experience on other bikes. It makes everything else feel like a child's toy. I will also say that it is great bike for around town. When you take it on long trips, it is brutal. Very uncomfortable. I have been told that there are a handful of modifications that can be made to help with this. You'll definitely want to change out the stock seat to a gel one. I have heard that those who have put on Helibar riser handlebars have had good luck alleviating some hand and wrist pains.

Back