how to get 200mph @ salt lake

frisbee

GODSPEED RACING
Donating Member
Registered
Wha tdo I need to do to get to 200mph at the salt flats next year? I know about the areodynmics ie. mirrors off, tuck , no loose leathers. I have an 04 w/a full Leo Vince exhaust, mapped . I know I need to put the TRE on but what will that do to the mapping and do I need to have it remapped at that altitude ? What gearing should I use I thought I'd go 18/38. What do you guys think ? I will bring a combo of stuff with me and I'm serious about doing this , I want to be in the 200moh club!

I do plan on having a 40 shot on the bike by then . Also I have an extended swingarm and was wondering if that would be a hinderance or would it help?
rock.gif

man i have a friend that has a 05 blue and silver he has had has bike over 200mph and it was on a 7 mile long open 4 lane road. he bought his bike with all the restrechtion removed and he have a yo full ex. on it. stock frame. will post pic. when i find out how

man i have a friend that has a 05 blue and silver he has had has bike over 200mph and it was on a 7 mile long open 4 lane road. he bought his bike with all the restrechtion removed and he have a yo full ex. on it. stock frame. will post pic. when i find out how

I"m guessing you're gonna need more gear.... If I remember correctly I don't think stock gearing will go 200
rock.gif

Thats what I was thinking too . maybe an 18/39 combo. I will have a NOS kit by then so I should have the power.

man i have a friend that has a 05 blue and silver he has had has bike over 200mph and it was on a 7 mile long open 4 lane road.  he bought his bike with all the restrechtion removed and he have a yo full ex. on it. stock frame.  will post pic. when i find out how
a) the speedo only goes to 185 (I also have an '05)
b) the factory speedo is off by varying factors, esp at high speeds. There are a few threads here that discuss that. Sorry to bust his bubble.

if it is not stock, what did it have on it? i have herd both things that a stock busa can hit 200 and that you need some mods.

It had to have something because I know a stock busa won't do it. I've been riding mine for 4 years and I wouldn't ask if I could . My 02 is deristricted and my 04 will be as soon as I get the NOS and a few other things done to it . It will be harder to do it at the flats because of the high elevation. But I should get there.

we had a police friend of ours shoot a stock geared busa it hit 202 twice. good enough for the 200 mile an hour club.
That's funny, stock gearing is only good for 196mph. Even with a tall tire like the Pirelli Supercorsa 180, you will only have 200mph gearing... not 202.

That being said.... A stock busa doesn't have the power to pull 200mph, let alone 202mph. That radar gun was inaccurate if it showed a stock geared Busa do 202mph. The only other explination would be if the bike had an extended rev limiter PLUS the tall tire.

But I guess now that you know what it would take to hit 202mph with stock gearing, you'll no doubt say that's exactly what the bike had.

lol

I've heard/read it takes approximately a 200 HP Busa to exceed a "true" 200MPH...lots of aerodynamics to overcome...with a 40 shot you should be making about 205 HP on a decent tune.

<!--EDIT|McyMike
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150832180 -->

Mine was dynoed the other day in sixth gear, it only did 194.4
SHOCKED.gif
super.gif
with stock gearing

The salt flats are not the same as any road. May as well learn to go at speed on a dirt road (make sure the wind is blowing).

We worked for 3 years to get into the 200mph club and this was in a roadster.

Tire slippage is a big issue. We saw upwards 10-20% slippage.

I never drove the thing but I can say it sure looked like a 1 legged squirrel on a roller skate the thing moved around so much

salt is a whole different world. It's not just about getting to 200mph it's about living at 200mph... You're timed at the start of a mile marker and the next mile. That means you need to maintain 200mph+ to record a 200mph run. Now take a moment and let that sink in. How many seconds of spray do you think you have? Do you have a way to maintain bottle pressure for the entire duration so you don't loose power? You would have to spray before the mile marker, get the bike to 200+ and then continue spraying until you past the next marker. It's gonna be 18 seconds. Doesn't sound long but count it out... it a looong time.

Also on salt traction is a huge issue. As Logan stated there's alot of tire slip. You've got to have the right gearing to compensate for all the slip.

It self gratifying to really get beyond 200mph. To set a record and join a 2club you have to break a record that's over 200mph. Now comb through the record books. Doing 200 may not get you in the record books / 2club but it's still a milestone in my book to crack through 200.

As for wheel base etc... stock length is fine. Adding as much weight as possible without increasing to much drag is a huge plus in reducing the tire slip.

Beat me to it. ^^^
He's right, traction is your biggest issue, not power. Ballast your swingarm and try to increase rear tire diameter. That, and increased clutch strength will do wonders for your goal.
He's also right about needing to break an existing record over 200mph to officially be in the club. At which point you are going to need to take a serious look at your modifications. They may put you in a class where the record is 240+. Now you've got a whole new set of problems.

Back