200mph-What does it take?

OB_BarryW.

Registered
My ultimate goal for my '00 Blue/Silver is to run a legitimate 200mph at sea level and then run a 9 second 1/4 mile with the same setup. I want to do this with a chassis setup for the twisties, no lowering or mirror removal. I know if I can get her to pull 200mph, it'll go nines at the strip no problem. Hell, if I could ride a little better she'd do it now. I'm hoping that the standard mods (TMH airbox, pipe, PC-II) will get me to 200mph, but if it takes 200rwhp rather than 170, obviously I'll have to get a little more serious with the engine.

Does anyone have experience with what type of rear wheel power is required for a Busa to run a true 200mph on pavement at sea level? Also, with stock gearing, what indicated speed corresponds to a true 200mph? I've read posts where people have claimed to have seen 220mph indicated, which surely must be over 200 actual. I assume a 10% error in indicated speed when I'm riding, but I don't know how accurate that estimate is. So far I've only pulled 180mph indicated once during the latter stages of the breakin period. I'm going out this weekend to see what she can do for real.

I took a 2000 and put it on my dyno for the sake of checking top speed accuracy as the fellow who rides this bike at the dragstrip indicated that the MPH was wayyyy off versus the timing system. We found that with 1 tooth down on the front and just as we hit the rev limiter in 6th gear the speedometer read 215
MPH and the dyno indicated 181.8 MPH. This correlated reasonably well by the way with what the rider who races the bike indicated as well. What does it take to go 200 MPH? A large jock strap comes to mind first! On the race track...no problem, but on the street...no way for this guy! Anyway...with no regard to attain that speed over a given distance...170 HP is plenty enough to go 200
MPH.

JC,
Well put. Binocular vision would be nice too. It's hard to tell deer from shadows tucked behind that stock windscreen at 170+. Even the long roads in the Hill Country get short real quick running like that.

ST,
Thanks, 170hp sounds reasonable. I hope I can get there without pulling the head, I have too many "projects" that have fallen victim to the flowbench black hole. It's nice having one that I can just ride. My only acceleration requirement is the 9 second pass.

JC,
Yeah, I'm actually apprehensive about doing it and wish there was an airstrip around to use. I just want to say I've done 200mph on a bike. I've got a buddy in CA who runs in a speed club at El Mirage (location?) who's invited me to come try it out there, but running in dirt at 2500ft. would definitely take more engine than pavement at sea level.

Last night I ran my Burgundy and Gray 2000 BUSA up to 190mph and I think I was only in 5th gear at red line. I know it'll do 170mph in 4th gear.

I've had it indicating 200mph in 6th gear and it still had more to give. Only thing...the road was beginning to bend so I couldn't go for the full monty.

My Busa's birthday is Tomorrow. She's 1 month and 2000 miles old and I love her to death.

Ive heard that the Busa's top speed with a stock motor ( except normal bolt on stuff, exhaust, PC2, airbox and such) is 196 mph with stock gearing.

Kinda made sense to me figuring that the motor bumps into the rev limiter at that speed in sixth gear, with stock gearing.

Any truth to that?

Do a search for posts by "Turbo Rick". He did a certified 203mph pass at Bonneville on a "stock appearing Busa".

We asked him about mods. If my memory serves me correctly he did the following:

Stock pipe and cans
stock tires and wheels
Stock FI
small cut airbox
web cams
18 tooth gear
PC2
dyno tune.

A key point here is that redline in 6th is 194mph, assuming the stock 17/40 gearing.

I have posted this one time before,
stock gearing akro pipe pc2 small mod to box
the bike with me will hit limiter 11,350 rpm
in 6th gear on rader gun or gps 196 mph. a
friend of mine same mods went to a 39 rear
sprocket he did 200.3 mph in 1.5 miles
stock gearing takes 1.2 miles. this is with a good rider under 200# if you are over 200#
it will take a little longer.

[This message has been edited by THE ICE MAN (edited 23 June 2000).]

Didn't someone post something about a Busa setting a record for hitting 200mph in UNDER a mile awhile back? i'd like to know what mods he did..

speed

200 rwhp or not, with stock gearing, if you hit the rev limiter, your doin 196.

You might get there fast as hell, but your still doin 196(give or take).

hey lofty, u tell em!! its all bout gearing!! finally someone whos knows wat they are talkin about!!

we in S. FL have a couple of things hurting us the hot air temp. and are lovely humidity
if humidity would stay below 50% air temp was around 60 deg bikes would be faster, due to more H.P. i thing the bike your talking about is lee shierts stage 1. 39 rear tooth
sprocket 12.5 compression on motor port work.

ANYONE that wants to know exactly how fast their BUSA will go (1 mile).
Next month in July the E.C.T.A.-East Coast Timing Association is holding time times here in North Carolina,in Maxton Airforce Base. You have a 1-3/4 mile streach and you are radared in the last 100 feet twice.then you know how fast the thing is.I plan on going next month.They hold these trough out the summer. I believe this is the 3rd one.I am told that the cost is $100.00 for the whole weekend Saturday and sunday.You can run as many times as you can get on the landing strip.There are rules and saftey practices as well as certain items that have to be safty wired on your bike.
Anyone that is interested in going let me know and we can meet down there.

Thanks Doug

Back