The stock 200 mph limit, has the Busa made it or fallen short?

Todd I had to come back on because of this I am kevin crap. That is not fair to Kevin I came on board like an ass he has provided some good info. When were we being nice to each other. I think that we were both in kindergarden most of the time.

[This message has been edited by ZX-12 (edited 18 September 1999).]

I'm not about to argue with that post. Sounds like a good place to let this thread die the quick death it deserves?

suzuki never intended to go 200mph.not in the usa anyway.my bike was dynoed on a new 200 meter and it pulled 192 at redline.european models don't have emission's or speed limits(autobahn),and with use of higher octane fuels and taller gearing from the factory they may have targeted to go 200.it took lee shierts a 185hp 108ft.lbs to just get by

[This message has been edited by busa (edited 18 September 1999).]

it seems to be a sticking point on the top speed of the mighty hire bus this is the magazine test on the busa the blackbird zz11
r1 "more oaths and imprecations were to follow .martins first run on the haya yielded 192 and 193 mph .about what we,d expected,but a couple of runs on the blackbird got me upto 188mph -miles faster than we,d ever tested one before. clearly the cross/tail wind was having an affect.because im smaller than martin i can get tucked in more,but even so every one was stunned when the haya howled through the lights at 198.7 mph. now it was obvious we couldnt go home until we,d had a bloody good crack at the 200mph barrier.the next run was slower.with any kind of crosswind at bruntingthorpe,the trick is to stay out of the middle of the runway until about a quarter of a mile from the lights,then let the crosswind blow you across towards the edge,where the lights are,so you,re going with it instead of fighting it .on that run i let the wind take me too early and ended up heading for the adjoining field 'only'196.6mph. but the next run felt fast. as i came over the slight crest and let the wind take me i was introduced to a new bizarre experiance-nothing that the speedo was indicating 200mph,and then changing upto top gear i didnt even see the timing lights , butwent past where i knew they must be at just over 215mph, and just nudging the red line . sitting up into the airstreem at that speed was like being punched in the chest,but the enormously powerful brakes hauled the haya down to a more civilised speed with no drama beyond the occasional chirp from the bruntinginthorpe's bumpy surface.as we rolled back up to the lights i knew by the way everyone was jumping up and down that we'd done it , and the display showed the proof but the fact remains that after a couple of attempts, a stock production bike that costs £8000 has done 200mph . no raised gearing ,no folded mirrors ,no special fuel,no special equipment . amazing!

See, ZX-12, there goes Todd making a parallel between you and I. See what I mean?

Todd, EVERY magazine gets a great bike. SOME of the Busa owners here got one. And as far as those numbers being all truthful and all stock, well, that would be like you believing me about the new 12.

Todd also thinks that the magazines don't get special bikes Kevin. He is not very smart. You are smarter than this. We don't represent Kawasaki in fact if you call them in Irvine they will tell you this. Just ask busa he knows.

Does anyone besides me remember info that was posted on Hayabusa.org longer than five minutes ago?! This subject has been hashed/rehashed and hashed again. Everytime it comes up I (or someone else) posts the link for the 200mph stock Busa video - then someone (usually a Greenie) says that it must have had a tailwind and then those that read/own the published account of the run post the specifics indicating a slight CROSSWIND was specified. Talk about a merry-go-round tonight! We've been around these trees so many times now there's a path worn down to the dirt! Use the serach engine - see what you missed.(again)

I agree Todd. But I think that guys like Dale could spend the entire day on the Merry go Round and still ask for another ride after it closes.

Remember Dale is the diplomat......

As far as mags getting SUPERIOR Busas compared to the Busas that all the consumers buy - well there is a well worn path around that tree as well. Here's a post from last month that provided some comparisons between what the magazines reported for their test Busas against what we currently knew about Busas owned by board members. Hayabusa.org SEARCH FUNCTION: it never forgets!

[Aug 1999]
"I mentioned earlier in this thread that stock Busas appear to differ by a range of ~10 hp according to various info I have located. Range seems to be from about 150-160rwhp. Have the magazines received good examples? Yes. Did they all receive the very best example possible? Doesn't appear to be the case. Are some consumers like us getting good examples too? Absolutely.
Here's a few numbers to ponder: [I'm always looking for more] Ratings are RWHP of course. All bikes are claimed to be completely stock unless otherwise noted.
Motorcyclist - 6/99 156.1
Motorcycle.com 157.2
2wf.com 158
Sportrider - 8/99 159.6
CycleWorld - 6/99 160.5
--------------------------------
Busa owner #1 159.3
Busa owner #2 156.4
Busa owner #3 155.2
Busa owner #4 154.7
Busa owner #5 164 stock?

These are all owners that posted their dyno numbers on a single thread on Hayabusa.org
Busa owner #5 didn't say his whether his was stock or not. I recall a couple of other owners that were in the low 150's but don't remember the specifics without going back into the archives. It doesn't appear to me that the magazines received specially prepared Busas - only Busas that were in the upper half of the ~10 hp window I discussed earlier."

Ok Todd that is fair I flamed you earlier and I was a jerk but lets talk rationally. I am an MBA Candidiot and I am up writing a paper about marketing. Make pretend that you are Suzuki. Make pretend that you just poured millions of dollars into a new product over a few years time. After spending all that money you are not going to ensure that the motorcycles the magazines test do not have a fuel cut out problem and that they are not the absolutely posotively best models you produce? Thik about it Todd....even the motorcycle mags admit it. It is business and you would do it.

I am not being an ass it is common sense and a known fact. Does every dish of jello you eat look like the one in the commercial on television? It is marketing they pay people huge amounts of money to launch a new product. This takes nothing away from the bike though it is amazing.

I am telling you this because dale did not read it.

Don't tell Swiss miss I said that about the busa.

[This message has been edited by ZX-12 (edited 18 September 1999).]

Todd: Thanks for the polite feedback about earlier posts. I really appreciate it! I checked out some earlier posts with Search and could not find any official information regarding proper back and forth speed testing. I am sorry if I hit a sore spot but I would like a true speed test with average numbers in both directions. The Motorcycleworld post was just a single direction run, by itself it means nothing. If they had made another run in the opposite direction it would mean something but they didn't. I could drop my trials bike off a Cliff (hopefully with "ZX-12" or "FC" riding it) and clock some impressive speeds, in one direction, it means nothing. I am not trying to get people ticked off (unlike "ZX-12") but I would like to get some true test results. I want speed tests not Dyno's, but thanks anyways.

Duck Man: Thanks for the information.

I'll let the dyno numbers reported by the magazines and the board members speak for themselves. There's not much I could possibly add to the hard facts posted above other than shortly afterward (same Aug thread) Frank Adams(board member and Busa owner) posted 160rwhp, 101 fp torque 9.71 et 1.57 short 145.5 mph for his STOCK Busa.

Easyrider - I'm not aware of any Bonneville type runs (performed in both directions within a certain time period then averaged) ever being attempted with a Busa. I'm sure if it had been done on a Busa and 200mph was certified using this method we could all get together and think of another type of test that had never been tried too. Then when that one had been done we could make up our own criteria for a test (backward while on one wheel @ 200 or something) When does it ever end?!

p.s. - I think you will find that most of us are willing to stipulate 194 for the Busa with the mention that it has been tested at 200 in the UK.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 18 September 1999).]

Well Todd since I am on the Busa site and this site is all about consensus you are right. Do me a favor though. E-mail your favorite writers from the major magazines and ask them. I am not saying people are lying but this would be the first motorcycle where the marketing people did not use common sense. When you have a product that is being tested you tend to provide the best product. If and only if the magazines went right into the factory on any given day they wanted to without notice and grabbed a bike would I believe it. Note the same goes for the ZX-12.

Dale he was being just as condescending to you as I was read his post. Stop groveling to everyone like a little girl and read earlier posts so you don't get them emotional I don't really think you would want another ride on the merrygoround. THis site is about towing the busa line not about opinions or common sense.

Todd, Todd, Todd. I'm a bit insulted that you feel like I wouldn't do battle for myself. As Vegas said, I have no problems saying what's on my mind.

Yes you've made such an impression on me. Thanks for reviving this worthless thread.

Back