How often do you apply chain lube?

Lube every 300miles
Clean every 600miles

I try to stick with that, but sometimes I forget.

I'm still on stock chain and sprockets with 25,000 miles on the bike.

Every 500 mi. I clean with kerosene and lube with a chain wax.

Use kerosene for cleaning your chain as instructed in the shop manual,. Just to note W-D 40 removes grease which isnt good for our type of chains used on the Busa.  

You can purchase a metal oil can spray bottle and gallon of kerosene cheapy at Lowes
+2.

<!--EDIT|DennisH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126550565 -->

Every 500 mi. I clean with kerosene and lube with a chain wax.

Use kerosene for cleaning your chain as instructed in the shop manual,. Just to note W-D 40 removes grease which isnt good for our type of chains used on the Busa.  

You can purchase a metal oil can spray bottle and gallon of kerosene cheapy at Lowes
+1

wd-40 is not kerosene or kerosene based. If in an area that only stocks kerosene in the winter, buy a couple gallons and get that metal oil can like rhythm says!!
+1. I use Kerosene in my parts cleaner, so I always have some (about 20 gal.) around
smile.gif
But one of the metal containers they sell at the home improvements stores will probably last the rest of your life if you only use it to clean the chain.

lube 300 miles.
clean with kero & lube 600 miles.
Using Maximum chain wax for lube. I guess the trick is to get chain warm, apply, and let it set up after application (what
rock.gif
read directions on can
rock.gif
)
tounge.gif
. It seems to stay nicely on the chain and not everywhere else

rock.gif

BUSABOY69: NONE TAKEN. IT WAS A LEFTOVER AND BOUGHT IN 02' + I TRAVEL TO BOSTON ATLEAST TWICE A WEEK (180 MILES) ROUND TRIP. I'LL BE HONEST, I'M NOT BLASTING AROUND TOWN ALL DAY. A MAJORITY OF THE TIME I CRUISE W/ AN OCCASIONAL "WHEELIE" THERE IS A GOOD AREA IN THE HILLS TO GRAB TWISTIES THAT I HIT ALL THE TIME AND ONCE IN A WHILE I'LL OPEN IT UP ON THE HIGHWAY.

I lub the chain every 400 to 600 miles with Bel-Ray Super Clean and have put 25,212 miles, and counting, on the stock chain and prockets..
wow.gif
blush.gif

Feel free to flame on.. I dont lube the chain.. I just keep it clean. I've got about 9,600 k on the clock and need a replacement soon.

Every Friday when I get home from work the chain gets fresh lube.

Otherwise every 300 miles.

I'm on my 3rd chain. (Origonal, Replacement & Current)

Busa has 58,000 miles.

I use Honda Pro Lube. Chain is warm from a 32 miles ride home.
I don't ride it again until Sat morning.

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1291"|1126562069 -->

grabntwist
Hayabusa Master

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:2.86
Location: Chasin' crazy horsepower Posted: Sep. 12 2005,14:47

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to flame on.. I dont lube the chain.. I just keep it clean. I've got about 9,600 k on the clock and need a replacement soon. [/QUOTE]

Dont sweat it, Champ ! Whatever works for you knock yourself out with it.  As you can see basically no  one here uses the same technique and mostly the same results are achieved .  I use kerosene because its come in a larger quantity its cheaper than W-D 40 and I use a chain wax to min the fling onto my chrome rims.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126562166 -->

Feel free to flame on.. I dont lube the chain.. I just keep it clean. I've got about 9,600 k on the clock and need a replacement soon.
Not flaming, but do you think it would have lasted until 19,000k if you would have lubed it?
Probably, or maybe not. Im pretty hard on launching and occasionally make it to the strip. I know not lubin' is a bad thing, but it makes a big mess. I have chewed a rear sprocket to bits (Due to extremly hard,violent and frustrated launching on a treated surface), but my front looks new and the rollers on the chain look great. The only thing is that I have about 2 more adjustments till its all out.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126562297 -->

Not flaming, but do you think it would have lasted until 19,000k if you would have lubed it?
Probably, or maybe not. Im pretty hard on launching and occasionally make it to the strip. I know not lubin' is a bad thing, but it makes a big mess. I have chewed a rear sprocket to bits, but my front looks new and the rollers on the chain look great. The only thing is that I have about 2 more adjustments till its all out.
I know what you mean about the mess!!

Probably, or maybe not. Im pretty hard on launching and occasionally make it to the strip. I know not lubin' is a bad thing, but it makes a big mess. I have chewed a rear sprocket to bits, but my front looks new and the rollers on the chain look great. The only thing is that I have about 2 more adjustments till its all out.
I know what you mean about the mess!!
Yea it really sucks. I do every now and then hit it with a oil soaked rag. I do always keep it clean and adjusted. I'll probably start lubin' the new one only because a broken chain at high rpms is deadly to your wallet.. Anyway my .02

PDBusa
Rookie

Group: Hayabusa.org Race Sponsor
Avg posts/day:1.37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lube 300 miles.
clean with kero & lube 600 miles.
Using Maximum chain wax for lube. I guess the trick is to get chain warm, apply, and let it set up after application (what read directions on can ) . It seems to stay nicely on the chain and not everywhere else
[/QUOTE]

+ 1, I also use chain wax and apply as instructed, with very little if any throw off from the chain.

BUSABOY69:  NONE TAKEN.  IT WAS A LEFTOVER AND BOUGHT IN 02' + I TRAVEL TO BOSTON ATLEAST TWICE A WEEK (180 MILES) ROUND TRIP.  I'LL BE HONEST, I'M NOT BLASTING AROUND TOWN ALL DAY.  A MAJORITY OF THE TIME I CRUISE W/ AN OCCASIONAL "WHEELIE"   THERE IS A GOOD AREA IN THE HILLS TO GRAB TWISTIES THAT I HIT ALL THE TIME AND ONCE IN A WHILE I'LL OPEN IT UP ON THE HIGHWAY.
Thats just what i was wondering. See I peg mine out A LOT! The stock chain I was adjusting CONSTANTLY after rides to get it back in spec. After I stretched it out at 6k I bought a DID Xring chain and I have to admit it has been KILLER! Even with how I ride I have only had to adjust it 2 times and my bike has 14,000 miles on it now. And the two times I had to adjust it weren't major changes they were minor. But anyone who reads this I would highly recommend that chain for the busa. It resists stretching like a mo fo!

what size is the socket needed to loosen the Axel Bolt? I was going to adjust my chain last night, but I dont have anything close to the large size needed. Going to FleetFarm this morning, so the exact size would be appreciated.

BUSABOY69: THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I AM GOING TO BUY THAT D,.I.D. CHAIN TODAY. WHAT SPROCKETS DO YOU RECOMMEND? LOSE A TOOTH OR GAIN? SHOULD I KEEP IT THE SAME FOR MY RIDING STYLE? I DO LIKE TO WHEELIE HERE AND NOW.

Back