Should You Clean a New Chain?

asub2006

Registered
My question is should you clean a new chain and why? I bought a EK zzz 530( thanks Justin), I have never cleaned any of my new chains before just put it straight on and after about 200 miles I would clean and lube..So, what would be the reason of cleaning a new chain? Is the lube the dealers use is not that good?

I never clean a new chain...only a dirty one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I had a buddy of mine hinted that I should, but I couldnt wrap my head around the reason as to why...

Thanks...

I cleaned mine, didn't want all the factory grease all over my tail and wheel.

Droid via Tapatalk

The last chain I bought didn't have grease all over it; it had some other compound that the manufacturer said would last for 6000km, so I just put it on as was.

I bought one that sprayed all that white stuff all over the left rear of the bike and the wheel so I think it depends. This was before I got my CZ's. I'm waiting for a new one that I just ordered last night. If it's gonna have that greasy stuff on it, I WILL spray it with Dupont chain wax before putting it on. I don't want that stuff all over the left rear and the wheel.

the ones that come caked in grease - I always wipe them down - the grease on the outside of the chain doesn't do anything but spray all over your tail and collect dirt.

Yes you should clean a new chain. Get that disgusting white grease off of it because it flings everywhere and hords dirt and grime. I cleaned my ZZZ before putting it on. I clean it Bi-weekly because I am anal about cleanliness

I did not clean mine before i put it and it flung grease everywhere. I would recommend cleaning if you like your bike to be clean.

Back