How much longer on pilot 5 vs pilot 3?

Kjelle Sweden

Registered
After having an unexpected slip today when going over some White markings on the road, I realise that it is already time for a new rear tire. Welcome to the world of Hayabusa...

I have actually tried to use the search function, and have come to the conclusion that I probably will go for Michelin. But I am curious, how much longer will the Road 5 take you compared to Pilot Road 3? I mainly drive highways, semi-fast, mostly straight ahead on dry roads. However, sometimes I enjoy some curve taking on smaller roads, and would like a good grip also when turning mildly.

I do not ride in rain if I can avoid it, but do not want to pull over roadside and wait if the rain comes unexpectedly.

From the 2s on up they’re all multi compound and from what I’ve read the higher numbers do give extra mileage (marginally) but their main benefit are for riding in the wet. I’ve gotten over 8,000 miles on my rear and more from a front. I still run 2s after 60,000+ miles. Didn’t like the front feel on turn in with a 3 and haven’t tried the 4s or 5s as their minimal extra mileage claim to me, doesn’t merit the extra price.

Well, you almost get religous when reading GAMedic´s review of the 5:s so I´ll probably give it a try, although I hadn´t really counted on getting new tires this quick after buying the bike. As it feels like a good idea changing both back and front at the same time, there´s some money to save on the other hand by going for the Pilot 3:s.

Well, you almost get religous when reading GAMedic´s review of the 5:s so I´ll probably give it a try, although I hadn´t really counted on getting new tires this quick after buying the bike. As it feels like a good idea changing both back and front at the same time, there´s some money to save on the other hand by going for the Pilot 3:s.
Each generation has gotten better than previous. I've run all gens multiple sets.
I use a 5 out back and power RS up front

They’re all radials if that info helps.

Yeah, I sort of figured that out, but not being a tire expert you sort of end up believing what so many (at least manufacturers) are saying, that it is of UTTER IMPORTANCE using the exact same tires back and front.

With a bike like a busa, I try to err on the side of caution, and I really would not like to risk losing traction by being stupid and chosing different types of tires that are not meant to go well with eachother.

Yeah, I sort of figured that out, but not being a tire expert you sort of end up believing what so many (at least manufacturers) are saying, that it is of UTTER IMPORTANCE using the exact same tires back and front.

With a bike like a busa, I try to err on the side of caution, and I really would not like to risk losing traction by being stupid and chosing different types of tires that are not meant to go well with eachother.
The pilot rs that Bryan runs in the front is basically the same thing as the road 5 without the dual compound which makes it stickier going with a mix like that is about there best choice as u get mileage from the back tire and sticky up front and they'll usually wear out about the same time instead of using 2 rears to 1 front. My next tires will be a q3 plus in there front and a roadsmart 3 in the rear for the same type of combo, I just found that I like the dunlop rubber more for there area im in since it doesn't get real hot here for a lot of thre season and dunlop rubber seems to be softer and gives me a little more confidence in my turns.

The pilot rs that Bryan runs in the front is basically the same thing as the road 5 without the dual compound which makes it stickier going with a mix like that is about there best choice as u get mileage from the back tire and sticky up front and they'll usually wear out about the same time instead of using 2 rears to 1 front. My next tires will be a q3 plus in there front and a roadsmart 3 in the rear for the same type of combo, I just found that I like the dunlop rubber more for there area im in since it doesn't get real hot here for a lot of thre season and dunlop rubber seems to be softer and gives me a little more confidence in my turns.

The RS is a 2CT or dual compound Shawn ;)

Thanks for the info, guys. Seems like, in any interest, if you scratch the surface a bit there is always rocket science to be found. :eek:

I mean, it's only rubber after all, isn't it? :D

Each generation has gotten better than previous. I've run all gens multiple sets.
I use a 5 out back and power RS up front
Ive run similar to this during summer then usually by the end of summer the softer front tyre is pretty much done then fit the matching front of the rear for cooler/wet winter riding.

Reactions: c10
Thanks for the info, guys. Seems like, in any interest, if you scratch the surface a bit there is always rocket science to be found. :eek:

I mean, it's only rubber after all, isn't it? :D

Well, as it seems to be some differences between rubber and rubber after all I decided to try the Road 5/RS combination. I will come back with how it all turned out if and when the tire delivery manages to get past all the corona road blocks between Germany and Sweden.

I generally change out both tires at the same time. Costs a little more but in the end, in my opinion, it's worth it.

The RS front tire actually arrived from Germany 3 days from placing the order. In corona Times, that was amazingly fast. Just waiting for the rear tire, which was ordered from the same site. Strange that they sent two separate packages though.

Back