Next tire after Pilot Power

papi_ocho

Registered
i know :moon: about tires..

i do know that i put almost 9k on my stock k6 gs500 tires and they still had life in them

quick shoots of the tire.
how many miles you guys think i can milk out of it?
i was planning a trip to lubbock form here 700 round trip.. idk bout that now
DSCN0507.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

matching front
DSCN0510.jpg

got the bike used in oct with 9k on it. tires looked good previous owner said they maybe had 1k miles on them so i will estimate that to mean 1.5k or 2k
now the bike has a little over 12k on it. so i'm figureing that these tires have 4.5k to 5.5k on them
i cant complain about the life i got out of the rear tire, i think

so what tire can i replace it with?
dont think my riding style calls for such a sport orientated tire and the area i'm in is pretty flat. REALLY FLAT not much leaning going on around here. i dont drag it. i dont road race it. but i do load it up with my nelson riggs saddle bag system and ride it everyday i can to work about 60m round trip. unless stress is high then i take the long way home 100+miles in 90-105 deg weather. occasional group ride at sprinted speeds.

good comparison on this page within the michelin familiy
Michelin Pilot Power Pure, Power ONE Tires, 2ct, Michelin 2 ct, Power 2 ct, Road 2, Michelin Road 2, Tires, Michelin Tire

will i be able to put road 2 on the back with the pilot power on the front??
would love to stay with Michelin or am i in the wrong family of tires for my casual riding?

everyone always comments on the life of the rear tire
how much life is expected out of the front?

I think you could do it, I rode one down to the nub...you could see the
rubber parting and the white material underneith (that was a bit to far).

Me though...your definately on the last leg, if I had the money, I'd just
get it changed and be done with it. Then it won't be in your mind on the ride.

BTW - I run Pilots too.
Flat here as well, florida.
I alwayst thought if I could learn to ride straight at 45% angle, I get really get
some serious milage outa my tires...:laugh:

Last edited:
Unless you were roadracing, you will always get more miles out of a front tire than a rear. How much depends on the tire, and the rider.
I would say there's no way you'll make 700 miles on that rear, and if you did, you'de definately be through to the steel belting.
I'll hold my tire opinions and let someone more qualified than me give you advice on what to buy. You're gonna get alot of opinions:laugh:

I wouldn't take a chance. That thing's almost gone. It's not worth risking it. I wouldn't gamble when it comes to tires especially for another 700 miles.

I love the Storms. Like what I've mentioned here many times before, I've been using them for more than 57K miles now and not once did it fail me. We pretty much have the same riding style which is mostly highway. If I were you, I'll give Storms a try if you don't mind getting rid of the front the same time as the rear. Me personally, I don't mix and match tires based on what I've read.

Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
Lol stock in michelin? No just minor investment in the almost new front

Price at the dealer:
Rear only
Pilot power 130
ct2 140
Road 2 150
Storm 160

PLUS 47 to install it.
Are there any internet sites worth looking at?
Keep in mind it would be 57 to install

Storms get good reviews.. I don't see me dropping big dime on a set just yet. But 56k!! How many tires does that come to? How much millage did u get?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol stock in michelin? No just minor investment in the almost new front

Price at the dealer:
Rear only
Pilot power 130
ct2 140
Road 2 150
Storm 160

PLUS 47 to install it.
Are there any internet sites worth looking at?
Keep in mind it would be 57 to install

Storms get good reviews.. I don't see me dropping big dime on a set just yet. But 56k!! How many tires does that come to? How much millage did u get?
Posted via Mobile Device

LINKY

I wish I can tell you exactly how many tires I've used in 57K miles but I lost track of it. I'm guessing 10K+ miles on each rear and more on the front. I'm not an aggressive rider at all.....I just love cruising around.

Michelin PR2 (FR & RR) for around $260 shipped from Competititon Accessories. I went with Pirelli Angels for $218 shipped (front and rear)

Lmao... I clicked the linky and the first thing I see is goldwing tire packages.. got worried for a second.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unless you were roadracing, you will always get more miles out of a front tire than a rear.

I always thought that too, but right now I'm burning through fronts 2x faster than the rear.

Just put on my 3rd front tire since March already.

Ride style you say? :moon:

Dsc00190_busa_800.jpg

Dsc00190_busa_800.jpg

I always thought that too, but right now I'm burning through fronts 2x faster than the rear.

Just put on my 3rd front tire since March already.

Ride style you say? :moon:

View attachment 198676

just thinking out loud here...
I think the heavy bikes are pretty rough on fronts, a friend on a VFR at a track day was putting some serious wear on his front, disproportionate to the rear. On my liter bike I'm definitely going through rears faster than fronts. Maybe to do with how quickly you get back on the gas in a corner?

Ok focus gents, focus...
I don't want to afford a new set of tires...

The last burning question I have is:

Is it safely possible to run the power pilot in the front and the road 2 in the rear? Possible the CT2 but I fear the wear is going to be about the same as the current power

Just read on another thread:
"The last 30% wears 30% faster"..

im figureing on getting 100 more out of it tomorrow.. and that will be all she wrote
Posted via Mobile Device

You could run the power front and the road 2 rear. I have been running the road 2s front and rear, first set got around 9000 miles, second set around 6500, the front was used up before the rear, but they were real close. I have been thinking about going power in the front and road 2 on rear, and putting a power rear on my spare rear wheel for when I go to Suches and Deals Gap. Road 2s sounds like what you need to use, and yes, I really like Michelin tires. :)

PP2CT if you want to road race and hit the twisties. I only get about 3000 miles out of a set but I am a Fat arse and like the Turns.....:laugh:

Was thinkin the BT16 because of my riding habits but tires can be freakin expensive. Road 2 ??? There are so many choices. I rode with a guy who Had Pirelli Angels and he could smack the Twisties like there was No Tomorrow.............Choices :banghead:

Mixing ok. I ran a dunlop roadsmart rear and a front qualifer front with no problem. Went to the Q2's now. 4K and there's plenty left. I would change that tire.

Wouldn't chance a road trip on that tire. Have some fun wearing it out and then replace it.

This is the indication the tire is done. I'd put on a new one before making a 700 mile trip.

Mixed tires can cause issues but would usually do so during lean angle transitions. If you choose to mix, be aware of it. Likely with your type of riding you wouldn't see it. Regardless, I wouldn't mix brands myself. I'd stay with similar constructed tires from the same manufacturer if I mixed. A Pilot Road 2CT might be a decent match for your Power front.

tire.jpg

Last edited:
Back