Michelin Power Race

race24x

Registered
I have read alot of tire thoughts. I did not find anything on the Power Race tires from Michelin. Does anyone know anything about these? They seem to have the same dual tread rating as the 2 ct's I just dont want t tire that wears out in 3k My Michelin Pilot's last Ok and grip is decent

The power race tire was upgraded/replaced with the Power One tire. This tire is for racing so it'll wear out quick even with the dual compound. The Power Pure is the much more street friendly tire. The Power Pure is the upgrade from the 2ct tire.

I like the Power One tire but I'm not looking for any kind of longevity out of it.

No just riding on the street. I used to use race take offs and love the stickeyness I just dont want a tire that will wear out in 3k or an oil change. What about BT015s anything good or bad

Be very careful using race take offs & the Pilot Race. These tires are designed for the track & thus must have a certain degree of heat in them for their best performance. They are designed for use with tire warmers at the track.

I have seen more than 1 person go down running race take offs.

I loved the Power Race mediums. They were replaced by the Power One. I have a set of Power Ones on the Busa now. It's my first and last set. They are too soft for the Busa on the track and I can't keep them warm on the street. I'll be looking for something else for the track.

I know a lot of people are lovin the new Pilot Pure tires from Michelin. I know Scar has a set on his '06 and loves them. I would get ahold of him and see how they are holding up to his style of riding so far.

power race tires are hard to keep in the heat range for the street and you willbe lucky to get 900 miles out of them, plus on a light drizzle be prepare to feel the front end loosed, its a bit scary and you never get use to that feeling, good luck.

Be very careful using race take offs & the Pilot Race. These tires are designed for the track & thus must have a certain degree of heat in them for their best performance. They are designed for use with tire warmers at the track.

I have seen more than 1 person go down running race take offs.

This is a misconception. At no point does a race tire have less grip than a street tire. However, they do have less silica which equates to less grip in the rain!

This is a misconception. At no point does a race tire have less grip than a street tire. However, they do have less silica which equates to less grip in the rain!

Since we are in a race tire thread, I don't think this would be considered a thread jack. What tire do you suggest for the Busa for the track?

Since we are in a race tire thread, I don't think this would be considered a thread jack. What tire do you suggest for the Busa for the track?

For track days, any of the race tires from the major manufacturers would work just fine. I happen to be on Pirelli's and have nothing bad to say about them, great tire. Bridgestone BT003R, Michelin Power One (I've heard good things but no experience), Dunlop makes several, all more than adequate.

If I had to choose a Street/Track tire it would be Dunlop's Q2. This tire is hard to beat for the hard charging track day enthusiast and canyon carver. As close to a race tire as you can get with a street friendly personality. Bridgestone BTOO3R/S would be my second choice. May be as good as the Q2 but until someone shows me a better tire, the Q2 is at the top of my list!

I'm a little leary of the new Michelin Power Pure since it's an upgrade of the PP2ct. We'll see how they perform when the track season gets going?

Mind you, these are only my opinions and preferences! :beerchug:

care to elaborate, give a link, or how to tell? what do the racers use in wet conditions?

is it a noticeable difference?

MVC-005F-1.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

MVC-003F.jpg

For track days, any of the race tires from the major manufacturers would work just fine. I happen to be on Pirelli's and have nothing bad to say about them, great tire. Bridgestone BT003R, Michelin Power One (I've heard good things but no experience), Dunlop makes several, all more than adequate.

If I had to choose a Street/Track tire it would be Dunlop's Q2. This tire is hard to beat for the hard charging track day enthusiast and canyon carver. As close to a race tire as you can get with a street friendly personality. Bridgestone BTOO3R/S would be my second choice. May be as good as the Q2 but until someone shows me a better tire, the Q2 is at the top of my list!

I'm a little leary of the new Michelin Power Pure since it's an upgrade of the PP2ct. We'll see how they perform when the track season gets going?

Mind you, these are only my opinions and preferences! :beerchug:

I've ruled out the power one for the Busa. Top pic is Power Race medium compond. Bottom pic is Power One - one compond fits all. I think the Power One is too soft for the size and power of the Busa.

power-race.jpg

power-one.jpg

I've ruled out the power one for the Busa. Top pic is Power Race medium compond. Bottom pic is Power One - one compond fits all. I think the Power One is too soft for the size and power of the Busa.

That tire in the bottom photo appears to be running a tad too hot by that lava flow look. I'd add a pound or two of air and I think you'd see a signifigant improvement.

Michelins are notorius for being sensitive to air pressure.

That tire in the bottom photo appears to be running a tad too hot by that lava flow look. I'd add a pound or two of air and I think you'd see a signifigant improvement.

Michelins are notorius for being sensitive to air pressure.

I had the Michelin guy at the track do the pressures a couple of times. Of course, maybe he really didn't know anything other than how to use the tire changer...

Dennis, tire pressures will differ with the same tire for two different riders of different skill levels. Your optimum pressure will most likely differ from a guy running the same tire who's running up front during a liter bike race. The harder you work the tire the more heat it generates. Tire pressure is the thermostat that controls tire temp.

Suspension and set up has a great deal to do with tire performance as well. It's a tricky game getting your suspension, tire pressure etc. set up to work perfectly for you. Rule of thumb is, every three seconds you drop off your lap times, requires new suspension adjustments. Sadly, there is no "One size fits all".

Back