Tire pressure

2chance

Registered
I have a Michelin pilot powers on my Gen I busa would like to know, What tire pressures anyone else is running in the street with this tires.

48 Front/ 56 Rear for me :whistle:

just kidding.........

36 Front/38 Rear for me.... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Depends on what I'm doing....

If I'm running my commute to work and back, I run 42 front and rear. Keeps the tires a bit cooler and running a straight shot up I-95...i'm not to worried about tire heat.

If I'm going out to play with the guys w/ the 600's and such on the weekend, I drop the front to 35 and the rear to 36/37.

My tire pressure depends on the type of riding I am doing. When I commute I run 38/38, Twistie Riding 35/35.

I have a Michelin pilot powers on my Gen I busa would like to know, What tire pressures anyone else is running in the street with this tires.

I asked the same question last week about my new 2CTs. It says 42 on the tire if you look close enough.

Anyway, the unanimous response was 42 psi. People think the bike handles poorly at a lower pressure.

I asked the same question last week about my new 2CTs. It says 42 on the tire if you look close enough.

Anyway, the unanimous response was 42 psi. People think the bike handles poorly at a lower pressure.

That's the pressure for the maximum load the tire is rated at. If you're not 2 up or heavily loaded with bags etc, you shouldn't be near 42psi. It varies some by bike/manufacturer but I've found that with the Supercorsa Pro SC1/SC2 on my busa, 34/36 works great on the street, 32/32-34ish on the track. I run 26/25 generally on my Husqvarna with non-OEM BT-016.

tire pressure depends on the type of riding. If you just commuting the tires dont heat up as much so you can run a higher pressure. When you in the twisties the tires are gonna create more heat so you wanna run a lower pressure.

I run 40/40 when just tooling to work, and 35/36 when I go on a "ride"

Also every bike/tire/rider is gonna be different, so play with the PSI until you find was right for you. Thats what I did

That's the pressure for the maximum load the tire is rated at. If you're not 2 up or heavily loaded with bags etc, you shouldn't be near 42psi. It varies some by bike/manufacturer but I've found that with the Supercorsa Pro SC1/SC2 on my busa, 34/36 works great on the street, 32/32-34ish on the track. I run 26/25 generally on my Husqvarna with non-OEM BT-016.

Well I must have asked on sh.org to have gotten 42 psi always responses. I weight 250 pounds, so where would you guess my 2CTs should be at in psi?
I'm asking minimum, I guess, because I have always thought that lower pressures made tires stickier.

Well I must have asked on sh.org to have gotten 42 psi always responses. I weight 250 pounds, so where would you guess my 2CTs should be at in psi?
I'm asking minimum, I guess, because I have always thought that lower pressures made tires stickier.

Every tire has it's very own optimum temperature at which it peforms best. What regulates the tire to achieve this temperature goal is pressure.

Pressure works like your engine thermostat, controls heat. Lower pressures allow the carcass to flex more thus creating more heat as well as a larger contact patch. Your tire pressure depends entirely on what you expect of the tire. For heavy loads, higher pressure! Light loads lower pressure. Lower pressures create more heat. Excessive heat causes excessive tire wear and can lead to tire failure. To little heat leaves the tire with cold tears and grip suffers.

Most street tires can be safely operated between 30 & 42 PSI. 42 PSI is the usual recommended pressure from the factory but as most of us know, best performance and grip can only be achieved by lowering the tire pressure.

After all this ramblin, you are still unsure of the proper tire pressure you should run in your beloved Michelin PP's? Well don't feel alone, no one else seems to know either and Michelin will not share any of that information with you. I tried and it seems to be top secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen guys at the track run as little as 26 cold psi all the way up to 42 psi in their PP's and the results seems to be the same "They were working so good right up to the time they tossed me in the bushes"!

So, if you find that magical number at which your PP's work their best, please share that info with the rest of us! :beerchug:

There are so many varibles to consider, rider weight, road temp, type of road surface, smoothness of said surface, riding style, etc.. you'll have to experiment to find what feels the best to you.
Myself, I like the feel of 35-36 in the front. Less seems kind of wallowy and follows the grooves (ruts) in the local sorry road surfaces more. More pressure feels (flame away:laugh:) skittery, and just unsettled on our previously mention, sorry road surfaces.
Rear I run around 38. Cross between wear and grip. I don't pay much attention to the rear, if the front leads, the rear will follow.
There's my cent and a half worth.:thumbsup:

There are so many varibles to consider, rider weight, road temp, type of road surface, smoothness of said surface, riding style, etc.. you'll have to experiment to find what feels the best to you.
Myself, I like the feel of 35-36 in the front. Less seems kind of wallowy and follows the grooves (ruts) in the local sorry road surfaces more. More pressure feels (flame away:laugh:) skittery, and just unsettled on our previously mention, sorry road surfaces.
Rear I run around 38. Cross between wear and grip. I don't pay much attention to the rear, if the front leads, the rear will follow.
There's my cent and a half worth.:thumbsup:

I'm going to try 38 and see what it feels like. The factory tires always felt too slippery at 42 psi.

i just cleaned my girl and about to go for a ride. checked my PILOT POWERS pressure and was set at 38 front and back. thinking of jumping up to 40/40. i weigh 230 and ride solo. just cruising tonight.

i just cleaned my girl and about to go for a ride. checked my PILOT POWERS pressure and was set at 38 front and back. thinking of jumping up to 40/40. i weigh 230 and ride solo. just cruising tonight.

I'm going to set mine at 40 and see how it rides. At 42, every little bump gets transferred. Tell me if you notice a difference between 40 and 38.:beerchug:

Run my 2CT's at 34 front, 36 rear.

I ran at 35 psi on the Big Bear run this weekend, and I really felt the difference from 38-39. I like the softer feel, and after a few twists it was apparent that my confidence was much higher.
I will try your set up next and report if there is a diff.
I too have the 2cts and 190/55's
Bubba

Back