Michelin Pilot Road 3 Review after 150 miles.

So the rant has been how many miles users are getting out the Pilot Road 3's with awesome grip.
I can only compare the Pilot Road 3's to the Pilot 2CT
I also changed sizes from 190-50-17 to a 190-55-17 and 120-70-17 to a 120-60-17
35 miles into the ride I felt the tires slide going into a left hard turn around 45-50 mph, it wasn't a bad slide just enough to feel a little loose. 2nd was a hard left turn around 25-30 and rolling it on out of the turn this was a spin type slide. I have ridden the Pilot 2CT a lot harder then I ran these Pilot Road3's with 0 issues and full confidence.
They do have great grip in hard straight line acceleration, but so did my 2CT's

So one more slip with these tires they will be taken off and up for sale.

Not worth the extra 20% more mileage from these tires if road rash occurs IMO.

How "leaned forward" do you feel with the 55 rear and 60 front? Were you at standard ride height before? Wasn't it on the cool side of the mercury gauge in Nashville today and do you think that may have played a role?

It was about 60 and sunny today. I wish I could have got out with you but I had daddy duty today. Where did you ride to?

Those tires are bad news, you can send it to me before you get hurt. Im just looking out for you.:beerchug:
Dont forget to send those nice wheels too:whistle:

LOL@ Hayabusa4life..They are a great tire for touring I will give them that. It was in the 60's here in Nashvegas today. Ive ridden in mid 40's with the 2CT's and never had an issue.
It is a different stance with the 19055 on the rear and the 120-60 up front, this may be the cause for the slip/slide on the rear both situations were in extreme conditions. I may buy a 120-70 for the front not sure yet, or I may just go back with the 2CT's I will say that they arent as bad as the OEM Bridgestones. I know they wont be on for the Busabash next month I can garuntee that!
Keith, me and Rollin20Z started in Clarksvegas rode through Springfield up in to KY across the southern part of KY back down into into Millersville, Hendersonville, downtown Nashvegas, back in through Ashland City. Between Rollinz tires being plumb wore out mostly the center with chicken breast showing :rofl: j/k Bill and my new virgin Michelin Touring tires we didn't push the limits to the max. No popo, road rash, damaged body work so all in all had a great ride!!:thumbsup:

I think by changing both front and rear tire sizes, the geometry is way past normal. I changed the rear to a 55 from a 50, and it took some time to get used to it. What tire pressure are you running? I usually get a few heat cycles before I test the grip limits.

I think by changing both front and rear tire sizes, the geometry is way past normal. I changed the rear to a 55 from a 50, and it took some time to get used to it. What tire pressure are you running? I usually get a few heat cycles before I test the grip limits.

42 in the rear and 42 in the front.

Try lowering your tire pressure for curves, they'll stick alot better.
34/34 to 36/36 cold, they'll come up a couple psi as they get hot.
A touring tire with 42psi in hard turns is the problem.
I have a Q2 front for grip and a Roadsmart(sport touring)rear so that my tires wear evenly(I get almost 3k miles a set now).
I have another set waiting to go on too.
The Roadsmart isn't as great as a sport rear, but it sticks suprisingly well for what it is.
I run 36/36 to 38/38/ psi hot.
The last rear Roadsmart had almost no trace of tread left anywhere:laugh:
I'm not a Michelin fan(tried several sets and they just aren't for me), but drop your pressure significantly and give it another try.:beerchug:

Sounds like u had fun; ogre is now in town how bout lunch on Sat?

Agree 42 little high I run 36 cold street

I run the Pilot Road 2's and run 40+ PSI. Never had a problem with slipping and I push it pretty hard in the turns. The 3's have more grooves and sipes, so maybe you are feeling the tread slip? I run the pr2's just as hard I've run the power 2ct's, and never had any ill effect.

I agree with JP on the PR2's. As a matter of fact, I plan to order the PR2 again because I cannot justify the price difference for the new version.

I agree with Sixpack, 42 psi cold is not doing yourself any favors in the grip department. However, the rule of thumb is not to run a touring tire under 36 psi cold. The reason being, the carcass is heavy and stiff. The tire don't particularly like sidewall flex. When making a decision on proper tire pressure for a touring tire the load factor should be considered.

Touring tires give up grip for increased mileage!

i have the Pilot road 3's on mine....8,000 miles in and they show little wear at all and no complaints here. i don't ride nearly as aggressive in the turns as i used to but overall i will def be putting another set on when i wear these out. they do take a lot longer to warm up of course and that's no problem for me considering my riding style. also 70% of my riding is commuting through out the week and not once have a found them having any flatness in the center. so if anyone ask me i will praise this tire. if your are looking for a high mileage tire then this is the tire for you, but is def no sport/race tire.:thumbsup:

Just keep buying Q2s on sale and use them. I have not ever felt a better tire on my bike. But, I have never put race slicks on it. The Q2s feel planted and at my level of riding, no slip at all. Very confidence inspiring!

Thanks for the advice all:beerchug: I will try the lowering of the pressure. I just always set my 2CT's to 42. I will play with the tire pressure this weekend. Drop em down to 39 PSI. My rider weighted suited is around 260.
Idea... As one mentioned about the stance since the tire size has changed rear a 50 to a 55 and on the front I went from a 70 to a 60.. (Dont ask me why I bought a 60 series..:banghead:) With the stance I notice weight distribution has changed leading to a little heavier feel in the handlebars.
I also noticed the front tire grip on hard braking, these tires will not raise the back end when hard on the front brake, they will slide.:banghead:
I will try the air adjustments this weekend, if I don't get my confidence back they will be up for sale!! So far they have about 200 miles on them.

Sportcustoms: I have no complaints in the average riding with occasional twist of the throttle on straight shots, they hook up great on straight shot acceleration and the tires feel fine. Its just when pushing the limits is when they don't feel planted.

Sounds like u had fun; ogre is now in town how bout lunch on Sat?

Agree 42 little high I run 36 cold street

I will let you know Keith. I am waiting on my bearings hopefully they will be in by Thursday. I did ride with the defect Sunday. I checked the rotation of the wheel and I dont like what I feel so Suzi is on bed rest till she gets her new bearings.

yeah brother true that. i have always been a semi aggressive ride in the turns, but you are right they are not nearly as planted in the curves as a reg tire, they are def a sport touring tire lol i usually run 39 or 40 psi in the front and back though:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice all:beerchug: I will try the lowering of the pressure. I just always set my 2CT's to 42. I will play with the tire pressure this weekend. Drop em down to 39 PSI. My rider weighted suited is around 260.
Idea... As one mentioned about the stance since the tire size has changed rear a 50 to a 55 and on the front I went from a 70 to a 60.. (Dont ask me why I bought a 60 series..:banghead:) With the stance I notice weight distribution has changed leading to a little heavier feel in the handlebars.
I also noticed the front tire grip on hard braking, these tires will not raise the back end when hard on the front brake, they will slide.:banghead:
I will try the air adjustments this weekend, if I don't get my confidence back they will be up for sale!! So far they have about 200 miles on them.

Sportcustoms: I have no complaints in the average riding with occasional twist of the throttle on straight shots, they hook up great on straight shot acceleration and the tires feel fine. Its just when pushing the limits is when they don't feel planted.

LY, I have never had my PR2's slide during hard braking. I have been using them for several years now on two different bikes. I am running the stock set up though 12/70 and 190/50 at 42 PSI and have zero problems.

As mentioned above, I ordered another set of the PR2's as it seems the PR3 may have some bugs to iron out and I got the tire I am 100% confident using at a discounted price.

Back