Pilot Road 3 Sizing for daily riding?

phil823

Registered
been looking quite hard at the pilot road 3's recently, but i need some input!

pertaining to the rear tire:

currently i run 180/55 tire for the added turning bonus ( installed at the same time as my +1 risers its been quite a transformation)! I live in central Illinois, there obvious there are no serious twistys, but alas i still like the turning, and making full use of what nice turns there are around here. but 70% of the riding is standard commuting.

reading about the PR3's they are dual compound with the side's 10%'s being the soft grip rubber. on a 180mm tire that means 18mm on each edge is soft compound. the issue is, as most people have found with the 180/55 tires (on street use) there is always about 3mm-6mm (1/8-1/2inch) of unused "chicken strips". thats nearly 30% of that 10% of soft grip tread.

when remembering back to my 190/50 profile tire, i used the whole tire on the street (that was without the +1 riser). by using the whole tire, i would get full benifit of the 18mm of soft tread, and also the extra 1/32 of center tread depth.

taking my riding situation into consideration, does anyone have any ideas on which size i should go with.

i never had a 190/50 tires with risers so im not sure what the actually turning differance would be

P.s. i assume i will run Pr3's in front and back!

thanks!

Pilot Road 3's are high mileage, all weather, sport touring tires. If your measuring percentages of soft rubber, you might be a candidate for a tire that would fit Mr Rossi. :thumbsup:

Pilot Road 3's will grip!~! I ran mine for a few hundred miles before selling them to Georgiabusa due to they slipped twice on hard accleration out of turns. If you are one that uses 90-95% of the tire that likes hard accleration coming out of turns I would suggest a more sport tire such as the pilot power then the Road 3 sport touring.
The pilot road 3's would take a hard lean angle well with 0 issues they just didnt like when you put the gas to em. They were smooth running tires, and Its not unsual to hear people getting 12K+ miles from them..

If you want best of both worlds just have to buy another wheel as I did, The Road3 for commuting and the Pilot Power 3 for more spirited weekend runs.

Love it got one sitting in the garage. It will be on the bike at the Bash

I don't have any good information for you. I got a 190 Road 3 on my bike right now but have zero miles on it as I am still putting her together.

Good to see another local guy on the boards with a busa though!! I am up in Pontiac.

Back