New question to 190/50 vs 190/55... Decision time

mike1180

Banned
OK, I am going to try the BT016 to compare them with my last 2 sets of Pilot Powers (Yeah Tuf you win... :whistle:).

I have listened to the reasons to go 190/55 instead of 190/50, the best ones being:

"Go with a 190/55 instead of 190/50. It has the more rounded profile of the 180/55, but in 'busa size. It's a little taller and you may notice the steering will be a little quicker. The profile should have a larger contact patch when leaned over which is one of the main arguments for using a 180/55. It's supposed to be a little more linear when falling into the curve too, which could be smoother."

Now all things being equal, that sounds great.
Going to the website;

glamourindex

It shows 3 different 190 tires, 1 being OEM Kawasaki and the 55 and 50 profile.
The 55 profile has 6/32 of tread and the 50 profile has 7/32 of tread (1/32 more or 17% more)
That seems like a lot of extra tread to give up to go a little wider: (1/10 inch) and taller: (7/10 of an inch).

Thoughts?

BT016.jpg

Go with the 190/50...unless you are a canyon carver/wannabe racer...like me :laugh:

The 190/50 is more 'u' shaped, and the 190/55 is more 'v' shaped. The '55' part is the aspect ratio of the tire...which means the height of the tire from the bead to the tread is 55% of the width (190mm) of the tire.

190/55 is more $$$ than the the 190/50, and few people here will get the extra benefits out of this size...it's not a good 'bang for your buck' vs. the 190/50. The 180/55 is less $$$, and will give you quicker steering and about the same grip as a 190/50, but won't last as long.

55 are great for turns, but for long drawn out straigh roads coul dbe little twitchy keeping straight, not bad but more so than a 50

Go with the 190/50...unless you are a canyon carver/wannabe racer...like me :laugh:

The 190/50 is more 'u' shaped, and the 190/55 is more 'v' shaped. The '55' part is the aspect ratio of the tire...which means the height of the tire from the bead to the tread is 55% of the width (190mm) of the tire.

190/55 is more $$$ than the the 190/50, and few people here will get the extra benefits out of this size...it's not a good 'bang for your buck' vs. the 190/50. The 180/55 is less $$$, and will give you quicker steering and about the same grip as a 190/50, but won't last as long.

Strange enough the 55's are only $9 more than the 50's.
The Michelins were way more than that to go up a size.

???

"Go with a 190/55 instead of 190/50. It has the more rounded profile of the 180/55, but in 'busa size. It's a little taller and you may notice the steering will be a little quicker. The profile should have a larger contact patch when leaned over which is one of the main arguments for using a 180/55. It's supposed to be a little more linear when falling into the curve too, which could be smoother."

What's "Busa size"...a 190/55 is a 190/55...and a '50' series is the one that is more rounded. In tires with the same width a '55' DOES have a larger contact patch than a '50' :laugh: they turn quicker too...

???

What's "Busa size"...a 190/55 is a 190/55...and a '50' series is the one that is more rounded. In tires with the same width a '55' DOES have a larger contact patch than a '50' :laugh: they turn quicker too...

I think whoever made the quote was referring to wider as being more of a busa size.

Don't forget that is in our Canadian funny money.
The 55 was $224 CDN or $180 USD and the 50 was $215 CDN or $173 USD.
These were the best prices I could find up here.

I just checked a couple of sites, and prices are much more in line now...only about $5 difference...about $160 USD for the 190/55 BT 016:thumbsup:

Like I said, it comes down to the type of riding you do most...I would go with 190/50 for more all around riding...190/55 if you're a fanatic about hittin' the twisties :beerchug:

I agree with Ba Busa.

Basically look at it like this.
Buy a 190/55 IF;
you wear out the sides of your tire before the center(this means you're more of a carver than a cruiser)
you want the larger footprint on the side of the tire instead of the center(more grip on the side).

Buy a 190/50 IF;
you wear out the center of your tire before the sides(means your a cruiser more than a carver)
you want the larger footprint in the center of the tire instead of the side(more grip on the center).

I agree with Ba Busa.

Basically look at it like this.
Buy a 190/55 IF;
you wear out the sides of your tire before the center(this means you're more of a carver than a cruiser)
you want the larger footprint on the side of the tire instead of the center(more grip on the side).

Buy a 190/50 IF;
you wear out the center of your tire before the sides(means your a cruiser more than a carver)
you want the larger footprint in the center of the tire instead of the side(more grip on the center).

That makes sense.
What seemed funny to me is the difference in the tread depth.

looks like you might have to add a couple teeth to the rear sprocket to get better drive out of the corner

That makes sense.
What seemed funny to me is the difference in the tread depth.

You have to remember the 190/55 is aimed at carvers like me who value things like less weight. They may have reduced the tread depth by 1/32 to reduce weight or it could just be a factor of the 55's different construction.

Either way, 1/32 is not that much more tread :;): I wouldn't consider the tread depth in deciding which profile to go with.

looks like you might have to add a couple teeth to the rear sprocket to get better drive out of the corner

Typically you have to go +1 on the rear to compensate for the taller tire if you want to stay as close to stock as possible in accel and top speed.

Taller tire = less accel and more top end
+1 up rear= more accel and less top end

Guys like me are +5 up on the rear :whistle:

You have to remember the 190/55 is aimed at carvers like me who value things like less weight. They may have reduced the tread depth by 1/32 to reduce weight or it could just be a factor of the 55's different construction.

Either way, 1/32 is not that much more tread :;): I wouldn't consider the tread depth in deciding which profile to go with.

The weight reason makes sense.
There must be some reason as it is 17% less tread, even for the carvers.
Thanks Charles and BA Busa, and all. :thumbsup:

Back