Anyone run 190/55/17

Loomis

Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Registered
I would like to know if anyone is running 190/55/17 michelin has this tire size now, I guess to replace the 180 people are using in place of the stock 190/50/17. I would think the 55 height would help cornering better then the 190/50. I would like some input thanks...

Loomis.

Yes, I am running them and do like the way they feel.
They seem to roll over a little quicker, not much but some, and they stick well. I don't know what kind of life they will give, as I have only 3000+ on them now. (I have the PP 2ct's BTW)
Bubba

I use them as well...they give a little better flickability, not like a 180 but better than the stock 50. I've been using the 2ct's since they came out and I expect similiar wear(5000 or so depending how you beat them up). I just put 2000 miles on a new tire with the Reno trip and I am very satisfied with their performance in the twisties.

Dan

I ran a 190/55 PP 2CT & could not tell a big difference from the 190/50 - maybe its just me. I went back to the 190/50. They both turn in great.

I run a 190/55 BT016. It's been great on the street. I have no complaints, but I do like the feel and feedback better than the stock 190/50 and the PP 2CT 190/50. I have also run an Avon 180/55. Handling was comparable to the 190/55.

Thanks for the feedbacks, Think I'm going to try the 190/55, I dont ride highway much mostly twistes and backroads and should be great for the deals gap ride in Sept.. Thanks...

Loomis.

I'm on Pirelli Super corsa as the first 55. It rides rougher than 50, but leans quicker and feels like I have more contact when leaning.

The 55 series 190 will raise the rear of your bike by 4mm or so. This in turn shortens up the trail. Shortening the trail is what makes your bike tip in a little quicker. By going to the 55 series, you will have a larger diameter rear which is about like going down one tooth on the rear sprocket. So you will loose a little forward thrust and your speedo will read slow. I hear you get a little bigger contact patch with the 55 but I don't know that for a fact.

As some have said, you probably won't feel much of a difference on the streets.

I have just mounted these but haven't had a chance to take a good ride on them yet. Hopefully the weather will clear up in the next few days.

019.jpg

i also like the 55 series. but i would stay away from the Maxxis version. takes way to long to warm up. i gotta scrub it for like 3 miles before it starts to stick. left home one morning, about 72 out i think, got a mile down the road, did some normal scrubbing, went to twist into it and blew the tire off.

Back