How much is to much?

MrGxr

Donating Member
Registered
I was just informed by the Wife that I buy to many Girl Scout Cookies and that I should cut back a little.
Last year I spent around $210 (60 boxes) on Girl Scout Cookies. I put them in the freezer and that lasts me about a year. I have eaten the last box from last year about 2 weeks ago.
Well, this year I am currently at $140 (40 boxes) and this weekend they start setting up the stand in front of Lowe's and Home Depot. That means I will make a trip to one of them and buy some more. I like to support the local girls and then go out and support other troups. Girls Scouts are good for the girls and who am I not to support them.
I LOVE Girl Scout Cookies and believe that stocking up the freezer with a years worth is better than running out and then hunting through the back allys looking for some.
Now, the Wife says that 60 boxes of cookies in the freezer 1) takes up to much room, 2) is a waste of money, cause you can go to the store and buy cookies if you want them (note: not Girl Scout cookies though) 3) an obsession that is getting out of control.
I have told her I can stop eating them at anytime, but I just choose not to. How can you say no to some ice cold milk and a box of thin mints? Or a good cup of hot coffee and a box of Lemon Coolers (reduced fat, means healthy).
I just don't get it.

Help.... do you really think spending around $200 on Girl Scout cookies is wrong?

As of yesterday my 6 1/2 year old has sold almost 1400 boxes.
Busy little Girl scout.
Problem is that I have to help her and her Mom deliver them now.

David

I'd just question how much of that money actually goes to the Girl Scouts and how much goes to the cookie manufacturers.

My daughters school don't do cookies any more, we have to buy cookie dough from them and make them ourselves.
rock.gif

Good for you buy all you can.
My girlfriend handles about 3000 cases a season for there troop. 36000 boxes is a crap load to have to handle and collect on.
The girls really put their time in.
How else are these girls going to get to go to camp in the summer.

I may need a 12 step program for Thin Mint addiction.......the symptoms appear every year about this time!!
tounge.gif

I love girl scout cookies... They are like the MOB around here though... If you don't buy a box they follow you to your car harassing you... They get you going in and try to get you when your leaving:D I swear when I see them I don't even go into the store anymore... I just turnaround and go home because I know they will break me.:laugh: I'm not slamming them just admitting that they can be scarey:p

wow.gif
Wow. That's alotta cookies, man.

Thin mints are pretty good. Another new fav is the chocolate-dipped shortbread. Then of course, the Peanut Butter patties....
drooling3.gif

I'd just question how much of that money actually goes to the Girl Scouts and how much goes to the cookie manufacturers.

My daughters school don't do cookies any more, we have to buy cookie dough from them and make them ourselves.  
rock.gif
I heard that the local troop gets 35 cents per box.  If that is true, you're better off donating $20 to the troop directly (instead of buying 57 boxes of cookies).  You would save about $180 (57 boxes x $3.50 per box = $199.50).  This assumes you don't want the cookies but you do want to support the local troop.

My wife buys some cookies when they visit but she's not a Girl Scout Cookie monster. Now, chocolate is a different story...

Just got my delivery tonight. Currently snacking on thin mints as I read this. Yummy yummy!
smile.gif

woooo...... thought the Wife might have been right, but sounds like there are lot of us that like the "cookies".... ok almost off work and a box of thin mints are in the freezer getting nice and cold for the milk...
tounge.gif

Just talked to one of them Mothers of a Girl Scout people....
Here's what she says about the money. For every 100 boxes sold the Girl Scout gets approx $30 in cookie dough that she can spend at the scout store. For every box sold the troup gets 40 - 50 cents. That's still a cost of around $2.70 - $2.80 per box for the scouts. I wonder why it costs so much to make the box of cookies?
Oh well, must support the addiction...
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Back