How Many Countries Will Come To Help America

The U.N. has offered aid to the U.S. The President had not accepted anything as of this morning.
That's good time obscene. The man needs to swallow his pride, or whatever it is, and think aboujt the people first. You know, the ones he was elected to provide for and such.
Where is this info coming from?? CNN reports that we are accepting aid from many, many countries.

C. Rice has said no aid that will help the victims will be refused. Also on CNN.
I went and looked too, and by way of CrooksAndLiars.com (nice domain name guys) I found this...

Jamaica was among the nations offering what help they could. But the Kingston embassy, while stating its appreciation for the support, politely declined the offers, saying in a statement: "The United States Government is not yet requesting international assistance at this time."[/QUOTE]

(This was dated Thurs, Sept 1st, so they might have reversed that stance by now)

Also according to this CTV article Canada was going to send in Vanouver's Urban Search and Rescue group, which, as you can guess, specializes in Urban Search and Rescue.

However they weren't allowed to land:

On tonight's news, CTV (Canadian TV) said that support was offered from Canada. Planes are ready to load with food and medical supplies and a system called "DART" which can provide fresh water and medical supplies is standing by. Department of Homeland Security as well as other U.S. agencies were contacted by the Canadian government requesting permission to provide help. Despite this contact, Canada has not been allowed to fly supplies and personnel to the areas hit by Katrina. So, everything here is grounded. Prime Minister Paul Martin is reportedly trying to speak to President Bush tonight or tomorrow to ask him why the U.S. federal government will not allow aid from Canada into Louisiana and Mississippi.[/QUOTE]

Ugh.

My host country stepped up to the plate!
smile.gif

Germany has offered to send portable shelters, water purification equipment and disaster relief experts...

The UN seems to be unable to send aid without a formal request from the country in question (part of the UN charter, I believe). So far, no request has been made.

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: "speeleng"|1125787090 -->

A running list of what countries have offered what, as of Sept 3. Quite a list, including Qatar's offer of $100 million.

Unfortunately, there's this info as well...

As of Friday, the White House had not accepted any offers, but Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the State Department was "working very closely with the Department of Homeland Security to match up what is available with what is needed."[/QUOTE]

The help is waiting out there, and the dragging of heels continues...
sad.gif

Back