Interesting thought?

Former internationalist free trader here, then I grew up, have been traveling the world since 17, 8 years Army, 25 years International business, all over this sht hole we call the world.I am now an isolationist, non free trader. Our leaders are too incompetent or corrupt to be trusted with foreign dealings except for military action against others that attack us. I get to see the whole world (sans Africa) today and have been my whole adult life, communist countries, Islamic countries of various types, South America, all of Asia, we need to come home and only do business that is beneficial to us.

watch this movie on netflix and think about it, its a little dramatic but hits a lot of good points.

The World Without US (Video 2008) - IMDb

Thanks for the link; I'll have to check that out...

The political structure and whatever doesnt allow for "outsiders" to come in and help officially, which is pretty f'd up and sad IMHO. That said, there's literally hundreds of foreigners that are helping with clean up efforts in the tristate area for Sandy. Official or not from the funding perspective the effort is there from those in other places. One guy on the news was from a place in Africa, here in the US on vacation and cut his vacation short to come to NYC and help. He said something to the effect of "there's so much that is done by the US in my homeland, I could not see any other thing for me to do but to come and assist here during this crisis"

Now, if they wanted to balance the budget and knock that deficit down to nearly nothing, look at how much money we give away to other countries. Even if we just stopped giving it to the ones that hate us, I mean really hate us not just occasionally get their knickers in a bunch, we could probably have one of the most valued currencies in the world and pay back China within 2-3yrs. If we stopped giving away money to everyone for 2yrs we would be completely debt free, perhaps with a surplus and all these social programs would be fully funded. I know that's never going to happen and probably couldnt happen but just think if it could, just once, how much better off we would be as a country and how much more we could do for the people of the world.

Why would we need to get foreign help when we have 8% of our population unemployed collecting benefits, hell there is another 40% collecting gubberment benefits, plenty of manpower to help. From what my relatives are telling me the Federal government aint doing sht to help. Like I said in another thread, I have never seen a federal government official here in Fla after 6 hurricanes, 90+% is neighbors helping neighbors, the rest is the township/state and power companies which all do a kick ass job. The federal government is not really supposed to be handling these natural disasters, they are just there to give support to the states, the states have mutual aid pacts with all their neighbors to help (including Canada as seen in the ice storms a few years back).

The only fed's that showed up that I saw were FEMA and Obama. FEMA because, well thats what they are supposed to do and Obama...well it was an election year....and I guess no politician of either side would mistake the opportunity to "press the flesh for the cameras".

That said, the only other federal involvement was with the folks in DC when the state leaders went and asked for money. I'm not even sure they were given any but its been mostly volunteers and local agencies doing things around here. Sucks.

In the great depression they put folks that were on the govt dole to work building roads and other infrastructure projects. They transported them to the areas, they housed them and fed them and worked them like pack mules. In times like this when our infrastructure is as dated as it is, when crisis like this happen, it would seem perhaps that type of work effort should be re-engaged. Politically it never will because why should they go work on a project for the same money they are getting for sitting on their azzes? I can promise you one thing though. If it was mandated that you are put to work on these types of clean up and building gigs, hard labor type work for the govt dole there would be a hell of a lot less people collecting it. :laugh: We've become such a lazy, whining bunch of wusses over the last 50yrs as a society that I think most folks would consider working hard labor jobs like that "beneath" them.:banghead:

Back