How long does stuff last on a busa?

I've run 87 octane for 10,000+ miles now...only issue I've had with the Busa is the idle needing to be reset and it doesn't like cruising the strip in VA Beach 'cause he overheats...
smile.gif

Tires? Stockers lasted me 8500 miles or so! And I know of a few MEN around here that have squeezed out more mileage, but will not own up to it...it's all in how you drive I suppose...
tounge.gif

Now, let's try to help the new guy out over berating him please...
smile.gif

smile.gif

Use 87 octane, most people get 2500-3500 miles out of the rear tire...the front
will last for 2 sometimes 3 rears it depends on how hard you push your tires.

Chains and sprockets depend on you...keep them clean and well lubed and 10-20,000+ can
be done no problem.  Charlesbusa has 32,000 on a stock chain
wink.gif

Suzuki recommends plugs at every 7,500....15,000 is fine. Valve adjustments are
at every 15,000. Oil change is every 3,500-4000....most due it more like 2,000....they just
like to waste $$$. After 2-3,000 miles use a full synthetic oil and
it will run quieter and shift smoother.

The Hayabusa is TUNED for 87 octane and will run all day on
it....it will make less power on premium fuel and it costs more.
You will get 35-50 MPG depending how fast you ride....at 180
it only gets about 25
tounge.gif

You can keep your ABS and airbags (
wow.gif
)    I'll keep my outdated Busa  
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|hbr
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142390012 -->

It's not a Harley!!!!!!!!
Got 11K miles on the bike and am on my 3rd set of tires.
You can get about 200mi on a tank. Don't use 87 octane.  Use the highest you can find.  Got one gas station that sells 95 octane.  I use synthetic oil.  You could probably do a search on here and find all of the threads that contain the info your'e looking for.  But it's not a money pit like a hardly.

Oh and welcome to the board
Heres a L I N K Y
On the gas thing long but good read
rock.gif

It's not a Harley!!!!!!!!
Got 11K miles on the bike and am on my 3rd set of tires.
You can get about 200mi on a tank. Don't use 87 octane.  Use the highest you can find.  Got one gas station that sells 95 octane.  I use synthetic oil.  You could probably do a search on here and find all of the threads that contain the info your'e looking for.  But it's not a money pit like a hardly.

Oh and welcome to the board
Heres a  L I N K Y
On the gas thing  long but good read  
rock.gif
So what Octane B2B? I read it but it didnt tell me which to use
biggrin.gif

I'm new too, but tires are going to be an issue. I have 1800 miles and the rear is already wearing. Stock chain is not gonna last too long. Uses 87 octane. You can get 200 miles to a tank if you try. Everything else should be normal intervals, some say the valves stay in spec for a long time. Do a search on the oil issue, lots of choices. Tires, chains and sprockets are gonna be the biggest. Oh and if you don't have any self control, tickets and insurance. Check insurance rates before you buy!!!
i JUST DID AN INSURANCE QUOTE OH MY GOD!!!!

SURPRISE- It was cheaper than my Mv AGusta f4.

I'm only paying 77.10 a month for full coverage and $500 deductables. All state insurance. bike is brand new too. WEIRD??? I expected it to be more.

My record is not too clean either- 1 speeding ticket and 1 reckless op. No accidents though. In a 2 year period. Just my 2cents
smile.gif

I've ridden Sportsbikes and Sports Tourers for years and everybody ask the same question. And the same answer is: Just how do you ride your bike
rock.gif
? If your aggressive and do alot of twisties, well not long on the tires
sad.gif
. If you think your a two wheel John Force
smile.gif
, your chain and sprockes want last long either
sad.gif
. If you just do interstate and hwy riding, mainly straight, your tire will square off before you side look worn ! It just all depends on how you ride. If your a calm touring rider, your tires should last up to 6000 to 7500 for the front and 3500 to 4000 on the rear. Commuting with lots of stop and go is going to ware everything including your chain and sprockets so 12,000 is probably right (someone else on here probably can be more definitive) . Hope this helps but really it depends on how hard you ride your bike  
idea.gif

Cheers
beerchug.gif

sad.gif

The higher the octane is, raises the detonation, so your actually hurting yourself running higher octane, unless your using nos.

Why wait till it starts knocking?  Used 87 one tank and the bike stalled all day.
Then something wrong with it...

Do you believe in magic? I guess you do..
biggrin.gif

Busa was designed to use 87 octane at sea level.
Using anything higher then that is waste...

If your area use oxgenated premium and your bke stalls on regular then you running too rich.

so the question I have for everybody is how long does this stuff last?

how long between oil changes? and what kind of oil does everybody use?

how long does a tank of gas last? and what grade does everybody use?

how long do sprokets last?

how long does a chain last?

how about your rear tire?

spark plugs?
how did you miss the search feature?
newbie.gif

but what part of a harley is high maintence?

The chain?  
dude f.y.i. Harley's use belts not chains......  they hardly need to be changed let alone tightened.

Harley's are extremely low mantainence (did i spell that right??)
Never read anythng that funny...

"Low Maintenance Harley"  

Dude, FYI Harley used chains as well...
the newer harleys (last 10 years guessing) have all had belt drive, basically maintence free. The older harley's had chains... ALL Harley's are aircooled (except the v-rod) the rest of the stuff on harley's is pretty much normal..

not standing up for the bikes, nor am I even hinting at the fact that a harley is in anyway superior to the busa... The busa is still one of the most state of the art motorcycles available...

The chain?  
dude f.y.i. Harley's use belts not chains......  they hardly need to be changed let alone tightened.

"Low Maintenance Harley"  

I had one in 03. All I did was change the oil. It started right up all the time. I justwasn't ready to cruise in that point in my life. The last chain driven harley was in the 80's so my quote was assuming he was talking about a newer one.

camparing harley to busa is like apples to oranges. Totally different bike.

The chain?  

"Low Maintenance Harley"  

I had one in 03.  All I did was change the oil. It started right up all the time. I justwasn't ready to cruise in that point in my life.    The last chain driven harley was in the 80's so my quote was assuming he was talking about a newer one.

camparing harley to busa is like apples to oranges.  Totally different bike.
I believe Harley went to belt drive in '86. I still own a Harley and other than gas and lubricants, I haven't had to spend a penny on maintainence in the last 2 years. It's modified putting out about 108 lb ft of torque as well. In all fairness, Harley factory service intervals recommends bringing the bike in every 2,500 miles. The 5k and 10k service are pricey. Maintain the bike per factory specs at a stealership will run ya some $$$

<!--EDIT|whytlotus
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142556248 -->

The chain?  

"Low Maintenance Harley"  

I had one in 03.  All I did was change the oil. It started right up all the time. I justwasn't ready to cruise in that point in my life.    The last chain driven harley was in the 80's so my quote was assuming he was talking about a newer one.

camparing harley to busa is like apples to oranges.  Totally different bike.
I believe Harley went to belt drive in '86. I still own a Harley and other than gas and lubricants, I haven't had to spend a penny on maintainence in the last 2 years. It's modified putting out about 108 lb ft of torque as well.  In all fairness, Harley factory service intervals recommends bringing the bike in every 2,500 miles. The 5k and 10k service are pricey. Maintain the bike per factory specs at a stealership will run ya some $$$
Harley maintenance is easy. In addition, Its only oil now until 10,000 miles primary and tranny can be left alone. I have both and I love both bikes the Harley and the Busa they are apples to oranges but a that's the point.

My GOD people!!!!

Quit hammerin' the poor newbie about Harleys, would ya?

Fact;  Harley Davidson OWNS the 600cc + market.  OWNS IT.
Quit yer whinin' about how much of a pos they are!  Move into today would ya?  The Motor Company makes a good product.  They may not make a bike that YOU like..but understand they do make good bikes.  A different purpose, yes.  But a good product none the less.  Don't believe it?  Too bad.  Continue to live in your own little world..that is fine.  I just looked at a '05 Fatboy that I'd own in a second....no, I'd not replace the bus with it.

Lets just try and answer this persons questions...OK?

1.)  Oil changes.  Every 2500-3500 miles..depending on how hard you push it.  No different than anything else.
2.)  Fuel economy is directly related to your right wrist;  twist hard...expect high 20's- low 30's.  Keep an even throttle...and keep the speed up (yea, thats what I said) and you can pull off low 50's.....I've never seen that ..but I've heard.
3.)  Sprockets/chains...not sure.  Only got about 4300 miles on mine so far.  If the sprocket looks worn at all....replace all three.  I keep mine lubed and adjusted all the time, and expect at least 8K.  But I am not gonna push it.  A broken chain can cost some cabbage...not to mention ruin your day if it comes apart @ speed.
4.)  Rear tire?  Face it....this sucker eats them.  Mine was toast @ 2700 miles.  Such is life.  Once again, wear is directly perportionate to right wrist input.
5.)  Plugs?  Hell, hard to say.  Not a big expense anyway...I'll probably switch them out at about 10K.
6.) Fuel. Use 87 octane. Unless your bike pings (mine never has) anything else is purely a waste of money.

The Busa is quite possibly the best all around 2 wheeled machine ever invented.  It looks sexy, goes like stink, handles great, and is comfortable for days.

Unless you are not experienced....get one.  You will not regret your purchase.

OH....and dont' mind some of the comments you've seen here...we are really a good bunch of folks.  Once in awhile, we tend to get tunnel vision.

Welcome.

<!--EDIT|mjn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142574050 -->

My GOD people!!!!

Quit hammerin' the poor newbie about Harleys, would ya?

Fact;  Harley Davidson OWNS the 600cc + market.  OWNS IT.
Quit yer whinin' about how much of a pos they are!  Move into today would ya?  The Motor Company makes a good product.  They may not make a bike that YOU like..but understand they do make good bikes.  A different purpose, yes.  But a good product none the less.  Don't believe it?  Too bad.  Continue to live in your own little world..that is fine.  I just looked at a '05 Fatboy that I'd own in a second....no, I'd not replace the bus with it.

Lets just try and answer this persons questions...OK?

1.)  Oil changes.  Every 2500-3500 miles..depending on how hard you push it.  No different than anything else.
2.)  Fuel economy is directly related to your right wrist;  twist hard...expect high 20's- low 30's.  Keep an even throttle...and keep the speed up (yea, thats what I said) and you can pull off low 50's.....I've never seen that ..but I've heard.
3.)  Sprockets/chains...not sure.  Only got about 4300 miles on mine so far.  If the sprocket looks worn at all....replace all three.  I keep mine lubed and adjusted all the time, and expect at least 8K.  But I am not gonna push it.  A broken chain can cost some cabbage...not to mention ruin your day if it comes apart @ speed.
4.)  Rear tire?  Face it....this sucker eats them.  Mine was toast @ 2700 miles.  Such is life.  Once again, wear is directly perportionate to right wrist input.
5.)  Plugs?  Hell, hard to say.  Not a big expense anyway...I'll probably switch them out at about 10K.
6.)  Fuel.  Use 87 octane.  Unless your bike pings (mine never has)  anything else is purely a waste of money.

The Busa is quite possibly the best all around 2 wheeled machine ever invented.  It looks sexy, goes like stink, handles great, and is comfortable for days.

Unless you are not experienced....get one.  You will not regret your purchase.

OH....and dont' mind some of the comments you've seen here...we are really a good bunch of folks.  Once in awhile, we tend to get tunnel vision.

Welcome.
mjn,

thank you...

to stand up for my self. when I said a harley wasn't reliable, it was sarcasm. I thought it was pretty common knowledge the harley's didn't use chains (neither do buells) and also that they were aircooled... Like em and reasearch or hate them and know your enemy... but as to what you said. I had to read it twice, the first time I didn't catch the 600cc+, and just reat 600cc. (of which harley doesn't even own a motorcycle, although

Back