How long should a chain last

depends if you race or put the chain under heavy load often probly 15k miles or so, if you baby it around 20k miles

Oh, I want my click back, you trick me in here and then add stretched and 240 kit :laugh:

I'm headed toward 22K on my stocker, with everything stock :poke:

Bike shop is trying to get me. I only have 1500 miles on it and they are telling me my sprocket and chain are going out. On top of that, they are telling me my fork seals are leaking. The bike only has 300 miles on it.

Any grime/fluid on the gold part of the forks? You should be able to see if the teeth on the sprocket look worn. The only way it would be after that amount of miles is if you had it too tight and were hammering the throttle.

Has she ever been down? 3k and seals leaking doesn't pass my make sense test. Rub your fingers on the forks it you have fluid on your fingers they are starting to go out. If you don't then there good. How is your chain maintenance? Do you clean and oil regularly? I would thing you would have to have some crappy sprockets and or a very tight chain to need them replace after 1500 miles. Post some pics....

Has she ever been down? 3k and seals leaking doesn't pass my make sense test. Rub your fingers on the forks it you have fluid on your fingers they are starting to go out. If you don't then there good. How is your chain maintenance? Do you clean and oil regularly? I would thing you would have to have some crappy sprockets and or a very tight chain to need them replace after 1500 miles. Post some pics....

It is at the shop right now. I took it in to get my new Brock Alienhead. If the fork seals are leaking, shouldn't that be under a Suzuki warranty? I know I have modified the back but nothing has been done to the front.

If the chain was not adjusted correctlyi t is quite possible for it to be messed up in such a small amount of time.

Missed a zero, 3000

Sometimes the forks will burp a little fluid the first time they are bottomed out. Clean the tubes and keep an eye on it.

Like others have said, you can kill a chain and sprockets by having the adjustment too tight. I normally get 20,000+ out of a chain, and I'm not gentle with them.

Do you wheelie the bike at all? Have you had the front wheel off the bike? If you don't install the front wheel corectly you can ruin your seals. As far as th chain goes I would inspect the sprockets myself to see if they were worn.

Do you wheelie the bike at all? Have you had the front wheel off the bike? If you don't install the front wheel corectly you can ruin your seals. As far as th chain goes I would inspect the sprockets myself to see if they were worn.

Please explain?

Went to the shop. As far as the fork seals. I will wipe them and then keep checking them. It is not that bad in my opinion. They are not leaking onto my brake calipers. As far as the chain. The chain was extremely tight. The sprocket has a little wear but I may change it anyway to go up two. I may also change the chain to get a chrome chain as opposed to a silver one.

Thanks for all the advice

Got to hear the alienhead on my bike and it sounds awesome. Still needs to be mapped. Should have pictures tomorrow or Friday.

Back