How does the Hayabusa really handle

PsychoZ

Registered
I am getting a new bike next week, I have always like the Hayabusa but what I really want to know is how hard it is to ride windy roads, or is that a bunch of bull. How does it ride in regular everyday riding, I am not looking to tear up the canyons, just to be able to ride at a descent speed.

If it's your first bike don't buy it. Just don't.

If you've got miles under you and a couple of years experiance you'll find the Busa WAY more competant than ANY machine built before 1999. It's a big bike so you aren't going to be flinging it around like little 600RR but it's super stable, light on it's feet, and is a pussy cat if you keep your head together.

Problem is that the Busa, more than just about any bike out there can and will get you in over your head without you realizing it till it's too late... THEN BAM, reality check. So it's an easy bike to ride, but you'd better pay attention.

Before I bought mine, my son kept saying that it wouldn't handle well compared to the gsxrs, I'll tell you what, it handles a lot better than a 1983 gs 1100, and better than any other bike I've ridden. Sure beats a cruiser.

my riding skills are good, when I was 16 I had a Honda straight 6 1400 super sport, since then I have had Ninga's, Interceptor's, I had one of the original Yamaha 500 2 strokes back in 1986.  Currently I have a 1970 FL Harley Davidson with a 93 c.i. stroker motor, so riding ability is not a concern, I have just heard that the Hayabusa is really heavy to throw around.  I have sat on a couple and do not think it is that heavy, I really like that my feet touch the ground and I am only 5'9", but I weight 245 and am 36.

So after all thats been said and done, what is it like to ride in the canyons?

<!--EDIT|PsychoZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089932078 -->

it rocks. And, it handles very nicely. Not to mention, that you have tons of comfort and zip to boot.

If you aren't going to be racing in road races, the busa is a VERY nice street bike.

Be forewarned though, all of those bikes you mentioned aren't even a drop in the bucket. This bad boy will move you like no other.

I ride like a freak of nature (at least compared to most of the busa owners, bsrigley excluded) and it still hands me my stomach on occasion.

Enjoy,
Rip

it's no Kawi 636 or anything but in my opinion the Busa isn't heavy to throw around at all and I'm not a very big guy, it corners just fine, I can touch my knee puck without a problem and can cruise for hours comfortably on it. I live in Western Canada in the rockies and I love carving up twisties on it. It obviously wont' be as comfortable as your Harley, but it will do SOO much more for you !!
smile.gif

thats what I wanted to hear, I do not plan on racing, just want a nice ride. And as for its power, trust me when I say that I respect its power and will go easy for a long time. I should be picking up an '04 Black and Purple next week.

I can't wait to experience the power though, we have a Banshee 550 on alcohol, I know its a totally different ride, but this quad puts 125 h.p. to the rear wheel

I find the bigger issue in the slower/tighter turns is the throttle. Until you get familiar with the gearing and the throttle, turn entry roll-ons can be a bit nerv-racking. General carving with this bike is a lot of fun otherwise.

I picked the busa over any other bike, could have had whatever since this bike is the only vehicle I have now, I sold my car and was going to dump the funds somewhere. I went through the same picking process, power, handling, comfort(biggy). This think is a nimble beast, it handles like no other. I've rode on a 600RR and I abosolutly believe the busa was better, mostly because it is so stable, then you crack the throttle and suck the life out of any other bike.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

my riding skills are good, when I was 16 I had a Honda straight 6 1400 super sport, since then I have had Ninga's, Interceptor's, I had one of the original Yamaha 500 2 strokes back in 1986.  Currently I have a 1970 FL Harley Davidson with a 93 c.i. stroker motor, so riding ability is not a concern, I have just heard that the Hayabusa is really heavy to throw around.  I have sat on a couple and do not think it is that heavy, I really like that my feet touch the ground and I am only 5'9", but I weight 245 and am 36.

So after all thats been said and done, what is it like to ride in the canyons?
Damn My Bad... Yeah You'll love the Busa in the corners. Side to side transitions like the others have said are a little slower than say a GSXR1000 or a ZX6R but unless your planning on riding at 10/10ths every fuggin place it's not an issue.

It's a Sweet handling bike, you'll love it... To ease make things easier though be certain the idle is set correctly 1200-1300 RPMs would be good to smooth out the initial throttle open jerkiness...

You will have a blast though... The really tight 25 MPH switchbacks are where the weight and size will show up as a potential factor. In the 120-140 MPH sweepers it's just freakin planted and stable... Like a train...

On Monday of this week i took the level 3 Keith Code school at Laguna Seca. I have owned my 03 Hayabusa for over a year and I like the way it rides and handles. I used one of their ZX6 Kawasaki track bikes for the course but there was a guy riding his stock Hayabusa in the class with me. I could not hang with him on the track and the Busa handled even better on the track that I thought that it would.

For sport touring or aggressive corner carving the Busa is a great bike

Kent Sheldon

you guys are bringing a tear to my eye, ever since they came out I have always wanted a Hayabusa but was worried about the weight of the bike, but after hearing from real owners and not people who "rode there friends", I am very excited about getting my baby next week. And the best part is I am paying cash. So are there any accessories I should really think about getting, I know I want to get the piece that goes on the tank so your jacket does not scrath it, I will also get sliders. But if there are any other nice little touches please let me know.

And I too also plan on going to the school out at Laguna Seca with my Busa.

..I know it's different taste for everyone out there, but if there was a term like "the ultimate all-around bike" this would be a VERY serious contender..

I can't think of something it's not good at.

But you HAVE to be riding with your head on.. This is a toy for grownups..

you will not regret getting a Busa, and you are on the right website for info on the bike, mods, or anything else you need to know about a Hayabusa. I joined here in feb of this year and have learned alot. There are a bunch of great people here to answer your questions.

In our little group, we have two R1's, 2 gsxr 6, one new gsxr750, my busa, a zx10 and a RC51. True, the smaller bikes can rock in the tight curves but I have never found myself lagging behind. At your size, you will absolutely love the busa. The only bike that can give me a run on the straights is the zx10. That thing is fast and the rider is only about 150 pounds compared to my 210. Who ever gets the jump wins. We tend to go on fairly long rides, and I will tell you what I observe: All the guys and girls are constantly streching a leg out, standing up on the pegs or otherwise showing signs of sport bike cramp. (especially the zx10 rider) Not me, I can ride for hours and stay comfy...To tell you the truth, we all fight to be right behind the gsxr750....something about being behind a beautiful girl on a sport bike, ya know what I mean???
tounge.gif

I think I agree with most of what is said here. If your not looking for a race bike the busa is an excellent street bike. I is comfy for the long haul and can get you out of tight spots in a real hurry. Enjoy your new toy.

Marc

You'll love it. The handling is great and there are so many suspension adjustments you could spend eternity fiddling with it.
Unlike the typical torture rack you'll be able to ride 8 hours straight and want to go back out for a ride later that evening.

I gotta ask...what happened to your Yammi 500? Was it a death machine like the old 1970's Kaw 2 strokes?

i almost made the mistake of buying the 1100 cbrxx after a test drive enough said.
i had no problem with my choice its all you when it comes to that point.
if you feel it you know it!!!! no regrets

ok now I am bummed, I went ot my local Suzuki dealer to get my Busa and they are sold out. So we preceded to call around to other stores and we could not find one, so now the dealer is going to call all over to see if he can find me one, alot of dealers here in California are saying they won't see one until the 2005's come out, and frankly I want my Busa now, I have waited long enough. So the saga continues, will PsychoZ get his Busa this month or in a few months, only time will tell. And I only wnat new, I know I could save money on used but no more used for me.

Back