How long does stuff last on a busa?

clearwaterms

Registered
okay... I am used to my bike (the little SV) where a chain is still fine after 11K miles... The brakes still have pad life left on them and the sprockets are still within spec...

so the question I have for everybody is how long does this stuff last?

how long between oil changes? and what kind of oil does everybody use?

how long does a tank of gas last? and what grade does everybody use?

how long do sprokets last?

how long does a chain last?

how about your rear tire?

spark plugs?

I guess is there anything on these motorcycles that is actually expensive to replace? am I going to buy this bike and say, damnit I should have researched costs first hand?

I know that it eats rear tires, but what else should I expect?

I'm new too, but tires are going to be an issue. I have 1800 miles and the rear is already wearing. Stock chain is not gonna last too long. Uses 87 octane. You can get 200 miles to a tank if you try. Everything else should be normal intervals, some say the valves stay in spec for a long time. Do a search on the oil issue, lots of choices. Tires, chains and sprockets are gonna be the biggest. Oh and if you don't have any self control, tickets and insurance. Check insurance rates before you buy!!!

It's not a Harley!!!!!!!!
Got 11K miles on the bike and am on my 3rd set of tires.
You can get about 200mi on a tank. Don't use 87 octane. Use the highest you can find. Got one gas station that sells 95 octane. I use synthetic oil. You could probably do a search on here and find all of the threads that contain the info your'e looking for. But it's not a money pit like a hardly.

Oh and welcome to the board

You can get about 200mi on a tank. Don't use 87 octane.  Use the highest you can find.  Got one gas station that sells 95 octane.  I use synthetic oil.  You could probably do a search on here and find all of the threads that contain the info your'e looking for.  But it's not a money pit like a hardly.

now I am not a harley guy any more then I am a busa guy (hoping to change this statement in the future)

but what part of a harley is high maintence?

The chain?

Oh I know it's how often you have to flush the coolant out of them... or maybe it's turn signal fluid?

I had a friend, who had a awesome cocker spanial, and my friends dog groomers, husbands coworkers best friend had a harley, and he hated it, it always blew out the O pipe...

just bustin your chops about the harley comment

see other guys use only 89 octane chain depends on how you ride tires also the manual is a good basis for oil changes i mean it is all up to you i drag race mine i get a new chain a year alot of tires and oil change like once every 3 weeks

You can get about 200mi on a tank. Don't use 87 octane.  Use the highest you can find.  Got one gas station that sells 95 octane.  I use synthetic oil.  You could probably do a search on here and find all of the threads that contain the info your'e looking for.  But it's not a money pit like a hardly.

now I am not a harley guy any more then I am a busa guy (hoping to change this statement in the future)

The chain?  

Oh I know it's how often you have to flush the coolant out of them...  or maybe it's turn signal fluid?

I had a friend, who had a awesome cocker spanial, and my friends dog groomers, husbands coworkers best friend had a harley, and he hated it, it always blew out the O pipe...

newbie.gif
newbie.gif

ATT00084.gif

newbie.gif

The chain?  

Oh I know it's how often you have to flush the coolant out of them...  or maybe it's turn signal fluid?

newbie.gif

newbie.gif
what does that mean?

newbie.gif

I don't think you can put cost!!!!!!!!!!! Down to it when you own a busa.. Why worry about cost of running it.... Doesn't it do over 180 mph.."YES" Doesn't it make you smile EVERY TIME YOU TAKE IT OUT FOR A RIDE "YES" Isn't it one of the most unique bikes you,v ever seen "YES"

Forget the cost just enjoy it...
smile.gif

dazz,.................

I don't think you can put cost!!!!!!!!!!! Down to it when you own a busa.. Why worry about cost of running it.... Doesn't it do over 180 mph.."YES" Doesn't it make you smile EVERY TIME YOU TAKE IT OUT FOR A RIDE  "YES" Isn't it one of the most unique bikes you,v ever seen "YES"

Forget the cost just enjoy it...
smile.gif

dazz,.................
Very nicely said Dave.
bowdown.gif

Don't use 87 octane.  Use the highest you can find.  Got one gas station that sells 95 octane.
This is not true. You will just be throwing your money away. If your bike pings/knocks using 87 go up to the next octane. Using too high of an octane when you don't need it will carbon up your engine and waste your money.

USE 87! It was meant to use it so do it. IF and ONLY if it starts to knock under acceleration should you consider a higher octane.

Why wait till it starts knocking? Used 87 one tank and the bike stalled all day.

Why wait till it starts knocking?  Used 87 one tank and the bike stalled all day.
50,000 on my stock bike and have never used anything but 87, it's your bike so you can run what you want. Thats a lie I have tried higher octanes before and they have made my bike smoke .Tires last me about 3,000 miles no matter what brand. Fronts go for about 15,ooo.Chains have lasted 12,000, I change sprockets both front and back when I do my chain. I have a CA model so the fuel tank is smaller and I only get 150 miles on it. I put 100 miles a day 5 days a week on mine so you can take my advice or you can leave it.

Why wait till it starts knocking?  Used 87 one tank and the bike stalled all day.
50,000 on my stock bike and have never used anything but 87, it's your bike so you can run what you want. Thats a lie I have tried higher octanes before and they have made my bike smoke .Tires last me about 3,000 miles no matter what brand. Fronts go for about 15,ooo.Chains have lasted 12,000, I change sprockets both front and back when I do my chain. I have a CA model so the fuel tank is smaller and I only get 150 miles on it.  I put 100 miles a day 5 days a week on mine so you can take my advice or you can leave it.
thanks for the response

50,000 on my stock bike and have never used anything but 87, it's your bike so you can run what you want. Thats a lie I have tried higher octanes before and they have made my bike smoke .Tires last me about 3,000 miles no matter what brand. Fronts go for about 15,ooo.Chains have lasted 12,000, I change sprockets both front and back when I do my chain. I have a CA model so the fuel tank is smaller and I only get 150 miles on it.  I put 100 miles a day 5 days a week on mine so you can take my advice or you can leave it.
Not disputing what has worked for your bike. I get the same type of problems if I use fuel from BP

Back