How far are we willing to go?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I just read an article from a couple of doctors that were published in Journal of Medical Ethics where they believe that abortions of a baby already born is acceptable.

This is a discussion that we need to keep cool heads on and not get emotional.. I will delete this entire thread quickly if it gets out of hand...

I personally am Pro Life as my wife is too. I know there are Pro Choice on the forum too.. My question is simple, can you ever think of a time in which you would agree that a baby that has gone full term should be aborted? These doctors believe that a child with a possible mental or physical disability should be terminated.

I am sincerely looking for honest opinions on this, have we come so far as a country that we believe in killing a naturally born baby? The actual article was taken offline of the Ethics website because of the outcry from readers. I can post some of it up here later...

Your thoughts?

Cap

It's hard to draw a line. I am pro choice but I really do not approve of it. I feel if that person wants to do it, it is their choice that they have to live with and be judged for in the end.

Aborting a baby that has actually been born is murder though...

I am also pro choice but I don't think it is right if they are already born. I know a couple of women who have raised children with mental disabilities that say they would never give them up. Maybe they are trying to make the country more like Sparta.

Lets make sure that we all are on the same page.. This is a baby that has been born and is not in the mother anymore, full term pregnancy!

I am Pro-Life with a couple exceptions. Rape and incest are the two glaring exceptions especially if the victim of these two crimes is a child.
Abortion in a lot of cases is a tool of convenience and used as such many many times.

There is, to me, no difference simply due to the time that has evolved in the pregnancy. The fact the it looks more "human" closer ro the end of its gestation period is nothing more that aesthetics. Does not heighten nor lessen the fact of what is being done.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

So if a mother decides to kill her 3 year old child, is it still considered an abortion? Will there be a choice to abort your child until he/she is an adult at the age of 18?

This sounds like something from The Onion!

Turbo-Torch said:
So if a mother decides to kill her 3 year old child, is it still considered an abortion? Will there be a choice to abort your child until he/she is an adult at the age of 18?

Ok I missed the postpartem addendum. So we are talking about a full term, fully formed newborn fetus correct??

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

The discussed time lines were days and weeks... If you think that it might be false just go google " After-birth abortion "

I'm pro-choice as far as abortions go; not to say I am pro-abortion. I am pro-not-getting-pregnant-or-knocking-a-girl-up-in-the-first-place though.

But, legally speaking, doesn't life start at birth? If so, how could post-birth abortions ever be legal, or acceptable?

To be sure as you said we are all on the same page. We are talking about killing a baby that is already born because of some kind of birth defect or disease possibly. I am pro choice but can't go with that kind of program or thinking. Once he is out an here he is just another US citizen. Unless he has committed a crime punishable by the death penalty he stays. :poke:

I am Pro-Choice.

If the baby is born... it is too late for an abortion.

now with that said. My sister is in San Francisco with her 1mo baby boy with Right Sided CDH. It was determined at birth, if he could not sustain certain procedures, they (the docs) were going to "let him go". luckily this little one has shown more balls that some grown men I have known. (for those that care about his story - Log In | Facebook) im not sure if abortion, and what they were going to do, is the same thing but i would have understood if they sent him on his way.

anyway. at that point, it cannot be abortion anymore.

How to be legal? We pass a law...

I don't think we'd ever pass a law allowing a person to be killed. By law, life starts at birth, anything after that is murder. I don't see any way it would even be an issue. And that's coming from probably the most pinko-liberal member here :laugh:

The discussed time lines were days and weeks... If you think that it might be false just go google " After-birth abortion "

I have no doubt it's real. It just sounds so sick and outrageous that it could be a sketch from SNL or The Onion.

So wait the baby is born, like breathing and screaming and then they kill the baby but call it abortion?

I don't keep up with this crap because I don't have a say in our current culture. I'm just a Father, I don't matter. Anyway in 2007 the supreme court supported a ban on partial-birth abortions, where from my understanding the baby is delivered using forceps leaving the babies head in the birth canal formerly known as the gina, anyway without gory details the baby is killed and removed. This goes a step further, so I don't see it happening.

I don't agree with abortion.

Back