Pregnancy at Slaughter: What Happens to the Calves?

To be clear, it is not my intent to be offensive or to impose my perspective on the subject at hand. Rather, I seek to inform so that others can make decisions based on facts rather than on assumptions and the paid for lies of the people who benefit financially from the current status quo of animal agriculture.

I believe that most folks, meat eaters or not, would no approve if they were fully aware of the horrors perpetuated on animals that are in the factory farming system, which includes BILLIONS of animals annually.

Everyone is different and everyone is entitled to their own choices on the matter, but the industry that makes money off of YOUR choices does NOT want you to have all the facts and that is wrong regardless of your choice to eat or not eat meat/animal products.

I have been learning about this stuff in great detail for over a year and I still learn something new on a regular basis that I would have previously thought never could have happened in our "civil" society.

The reason that I seek to educate on these matters is that we have many more choices than most realize and compared to what is handed to us as status quo, those choices are ALL better for us, the animals and the environment. Example:

1) Go vegan. I know, this is not for a lot of folks. But, like any diet, done properly, you don't NEED animal products to live healthy and be well. Benefits: Better health, greatly reduced environmental impact, no cruelty to animals, not lining the pockets of industries that lie to you while feeding you stuff that is not healthy long term.

2) Go vegetarian. Same as #, but you eat dairy and/or egg products.

3) Eat LESS meat. Any reduction in meat consumption is better for health, animals and the environment.

4) Eat meat, but source it from REAL farms, not the grocery stores/factor farms. The meat will be better for you (but still not ideal for optimal health and avoidance of chronic diseases/health issues) and you'll be doing better by the animals and the environment.

5) Hunting, believe it or not. Not my thing, for sure, but hunting, if done with clean kill shots (gun, not bow's...bowhunting often leaves an animal maimed and/or suffering needlessly) is FAR more humane than any factory farm situation.

Once again, please take no insult or offence when I post up information or stories that present the reality of our food systems. My intent is to educate. If you do not wish to be educated, please feel free to not participate (don't open the thread, don't click on the link, etc.), but I would appreciate if everyone could remain respectful and constructive in any posts/discussions.

Regards,

Melodic

This entire thread is idiotic.

My father has hundreds of cows on multiple pastures. Cows don't go around having sex at will -- a Bull is intentionally introduced to get them pregnant. Otherwise there is no male present.

There would be no reason to get a cow pregnant if it's going up for slaughter. You'd be wasting resources and time.

Im telling you right now that a well placed shot from a bow will kill quicker than a bullet will will, research your bows and broadheads before you assume

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

And that one isn't even a really gnarl one, imagine the carnage it would cause, I wont post entry and exit wounds

uploadfromtaptalk1307980736661.jpg

Im telling you right now that a well placed shot from a bow will kill quicker than a bullet will will, research your bows and broadheads before you assume

Even a bad shot from a bow will kill quicker than a bad shot from a gun

Again, not meaning to offend.

Of course, no, I'm not a hunter.

The question then becomes, what percentage of bow hunters are "worth their salt"? I

I'm sure that there are greater and lesser hunters with both bows and guns, however, I have seen a lot of information that indicates that the average bow hunter (much like the average motorcyclist, perhaps?) does not possess the skill or expertise to make good, clean kills on a regular basis while doing so with a gun seems to be easier for most folks.

I will readily concede that I have ZERO first hand knowledge on guns and hunting. I have, however, been involved with archery and find it to be a skill that takes time and patience to develop to any degree of proficiency.

Here's an article that refers to a study that indicates a 50% wounded (and not recovered) rate for bow hunting. The study is a small sample, but a study nontheless.

http://www.animalalliance.ca/2009 ... Hunting.pdf

This article discusses the commonly referenced "Camp Ripley Bowhunting Study" relating to wounding rates:
http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermai...30/003142.html

An article supporting the idea that bow hunting is not cruel:
http://www.examiner.com/hunting-and-...far-from-cruel

One example of a wounded/not recovered animal:
No Arrows or Bullets - Bowhunting - Is This a Sport?

The one thing that must happen for bow hunting to result in a quick kill, is the hunter must be well educated and practiced in the art of archery and hunting. As with anything, I would suspect that there are easily far fewer that are expert than are rank amateurs and it those amateurs that are likely responsible for the prolonged suffering and maiming that is claimed against bow hunting.

Well I consider myself a pretty good shot both rifle and bow, and its not just being a good shot, its knowing when to take a shot and IF it is a good shot your taking, most young hunters get over excited and take a shot that would be near impossible, in just hopes of getting the kill, resulting In a wounded animal, a gun is more forgiving than a bow and easier to use, but in the right hands, and taking the right shot the bow is just as deadly if not more deadly

Well I consider myself a pretty good shot both rifle and bow, and its not just being a good shot, its knowing when to take a shot and IF it is a good shot your taking, most young hunters get over excited and take a shot that would be near impossible, in just hopes of getting the kill, resulting In a wounded animal, a gun is more forgiving than a bow and easier to use, but in the right hands, and taking the right shot the bow is just as deadly if not more deadly

Agreed. And that's the issue, is that a using a bow takes more skill than using a gun (no offense to the gun folks). Therein lies the cause of the needless maiming and suffering associated with bow hunting.

Well in the interest of progression, broadheads today are designed to give a lot of leeway on a bad placed shot, research that, the designs cause maximum destruction no matter where placed

Well in the interest of progression, broadheads today are designed to give a lot of leeway on a bad placed shot, research that, the designs cause maximum destruction no matter where placed

No research needed. Your pics and your word are good enough for me. :)

However, what about the hunters that don't want to invest in that gear or learn the anatomy of their prey or take the time to practice or hunt while sober...? It's like riding...just because a guy rides, doesn't mean he rides well or responsible. It just means he can engage the clutch and twist the throttle and not fall off (much). :laugh:

Check out this article written by a bow hunter for a bow hunting publication:
Bowhunting Accidents

Such an article could hardly exist if a significant portion of bow hunters weren't in the bow hunting "squid" category. Again, that's not to say that there aren't plenty of skilled bow hunters, as I'm sure there are.

You know, to get back on topic here, I eat meat. I tried being more vegan and it's hard. I applaud those that can stick with it, but I couldn't. I am trying, though, to educate myself on the practices that go in to mass production of our meat supply. I can choose to not buy in to those practices by being better educated about where my food comes from, how it's produced. There are farms popping up all over that don't raise animals in the same ways as mass production farms do, that don't slaughter animals in the same way slaughterhouses do.

I think so many see these threads and their gut-instinct is to automatically be rude and make rude comments instead of giving a crap about what's being said. I'll be the first one to look this thread up the next time Vick's brought to task on the oRg for the treatment of pitbulls just to see if any here poking fun at the suffering of animals are the same arguing for the end of cruelty to dogs. I'm all for no suffering for any animals if possible. I understand animals are a food source in all cultures and just because humans put themselves at the top of that food chain, I have never for a single moment assumed we also reserve the right to create undue suffering for food. Responsible hunters know this and practice it, responsible farmers do as well. There is a very good reason big industry tries so hard to hide most of the inner workings of their factories from the main stream media. :poke:

Topics like don't have to always be strictly "stop eating meat" subjects. Other options are to find alternative meat sources, ones that don't embrace, THAT DON'T HIDE, this type of "by-product suffering" of animals. Knowledge is a powerful thing, if you choose to use it. I appreciate the insight; it's up to those that read to do with it what they will. I don't think it's posted here as a means to create chaos or attacks.

No research needed. Your pics and your word are good enough for me. :)

However, what about the hunters that don't want to invest in that gear or learn the anatomy of their prey or take the time to practice or hunt while sober...? It's like riding...just because a guy rides, doesn't mean he rides well or responsible. It just means he can engage the clutch and twist the throttle and not fall off (much). :laugh:

Check out this article written by a bow hunter for a bow hunting publication:
Bowhunting Accidents

Such an article could hardly exist if a significant portion of bow hunters weren't in the bow hunting "squid" category. Again, that's not to say that there aren't plenty of skilled bow hunters, as I'm sure there are.

So should they stop riding, you have to learn somehow the same with riding, except hunting its animal at risk not a human, when you first jumped on a bike you were endangering yourself as well as others until you learned, people ride cause they want to and love to do, bowhunting is the same, people want to try it and learn to love it, but a new bowhunter is not going to go out and fly through corners and drag his knee first outing, trial and error, tried to put it in a a analogy lol

So should they stop riding, you have to learn somehow the same with riding, except hunting its animal at risk not a human, when you first jumped on a bike you were endangering yourself as well as others until you learned, people ride cause they want to and love to do, bowhunting is the same, people want to try it and learn to love it, but a new bowhunter is not going to go out and fly through corners and drag his knee first outing, trial and error, tried to put it in a a analogy lol

Some of us never "first jumped on a bike". Good riders tend to get good through good instruction and practice and maturity. I suspect it's similar for any learned skill. I never rode on the street until after I'd been riding/practicing for years.

The short answer: IMHO, if one cannot/does not, for any reason, take the time to learn to ride well, intelligently and responsibly from the get go, then yes, they should not continue.

Back