Factory Farming and Animal Cruelty

I'm curious to how many meat eaters on the org would actually have the balls to slaughter their own cows for meat. Sure in a survival situation anyone would. But instead of going to the supermaket and having it prepared for you, to actually do the dirty work yourself. I promise most of you would not

That's why I'm not a butcher, I don't like white coats.
Otherwise I'd have no problems with it :laugh:

Thank God for Publix

I agree that the animals are abused. I do not have any way in my power to stop it. I can call my senators and congressmen and nothing will change. Big Corp money is unstoppable.

I agree that the animals are abused. I do not have any way in my power to stop it. I can call my senators and congressmen and nothing will change. Big Corp money is unstoppable.

Actually, each of has the power to make a difference with choices we make daily:

1) If we choose to eat meat, identify an source farm that isn't cruel. They are out there, but you have to look for them. The one local to me which I used before going vegan charged only $3 per delivery and their prices were very similar to the stores on many items, though some were a bit higher.

2) Eat less meat. Lot's of folks are giving up meat one day week or one meal a day. It's healthier for you and reduces demand for meat and therefore fewer animals are required for the supply so fewer animals fated to the system.

3) Eat no meat (vegetarian) or even no animal products (vegan). Going vegetarian or vegan has all kinds of health benefits for us and eliminates the demand for meat. With so many "mock" meats and great tasting non-meat foods these days, it's a lot easier than most folks realize for us meat eaters to kick the habit. Going vegetarian is definitely easier than going vegan, but vegan's have an amazing assortment of choices as well, it just requires a bit of learning about those choices.

Any of the choices above will reduce demand for the factory farming product and therefore reduce demand for the cruelty that the factory farms inflict on animals.

A little compassion goes a long way. :)

At first I thought someone cleaned out the earlier thread. Then I noticed this is another new thread. I commented on the other post and I don't want to copy/paste my comments here. I'll leave this thread alone. :thumbsup:

I'm hungry.
Anyone want anything from the Factory Burger place?
mcdonald%252Blogo.jpg

The small farm, such as the one you describe, is the way to go if one chooses to eat animal products as it provides a better life and more humane death for the animal, better health for the humans who eat those products and far less in the way various environmental impacts. However, they are also the exception, with virtually all animal products in standard stores coming from the factory farm system, which is bad for the animals, us and the environment.

One example:
Factory farms exposed in recall of half billion eggs » peoplesworld

How many people does a small farm feed? How many people in the world eat animals. I am not sure myself but I doubt the all small farm thing will work.

How many people does a small farm feed? How many people in the world eat animals. I am not sure myself but I doubt the all small farm thing will work.

At present, I'm sure that's true. But if folks create a demand for cruelty free treatment, factory farms would be forced to comply or small farms would return to dominance as was the case 50 years ago. Then there are millions of small farms, today, less than 150,000 exist as the factory farms have put the smaller farms out of business more and more.

The choice is yours, of course. I would only ask why you would not wish to choose better for your health, the environment and reduced cruelty?

Because honestly I don't think the ground beef at the grocery store is much better than a 1/4 pounder from the golden arches. Both are processed in huge factories and come from same cows. I can cook it or Mickey D's can.
Sure home cooked tastes better but I dont think it much healthier.
I may be wrong but don't really wanna know as I love their fries too :laugh:

Because honestly I don't think the ground beef at the grocery store is much better than a 1/4 pounder from the golden arches. Both are processed in huge factories and come from same cows. I can cook it or Mickey D's can.

Guess I kinda just always figured it was common knowledge McD's was terrible for you...

So, umm yeah... making it yourself with GOOD meat is MUCH better for you. It doesn't all come from the same place.

What about making a choice that favors of better treatment of animals and less impact on the environment and in support of small business while not supporting the factory farm issues?

Good on you MelodicMetalGod. You have taken up a great cause.The thought of animals suffering makes me sick to my stomach.

The Org will not be with you for the most part I wouldn't think.There are too many threads about "What I had for dinner last night",and most contain pictures of meat.Lots of BBQ threads etc.

But I applaud your stand and the level of maturity you are showing in the debate,despite the juvenile behavior of some of those opposed.

Slaughter house work would not be for the wimpy Rubbah.I have beaten up on humans,just couldn't do it to an animal.I could hit a human with a sledge hammer easier than I could hit a defenceless cow with those big eyes lookin' up at me.

(P.S. I eat meat,but now wish I never had.)

RSD.

Good on you MelodicMetalGod. You have taken up a great cause.The thought of animals suffering makes me sick to my stomach.

The Org will not be with you for the most part I wouldn't think.There are too many threads about "What I had for dinner last night",and most contain pictures of meat.Lots of BBQ threads etc.

But I applaud your stand and the level of maturity you are showing in the debate,despite the juvenile behavior of some of those opposed.

Slaughter house work would not be for the wimpy Rubbah.I have beaten up on humans,just couldn't do it to an animal.I could hit a human with a sledge hammer easier than I could hit a defenceless cow with those big eyes lookin' up at me.

RSD.

Thanks for the support! :)

As for being mature, just trying to educate and provide facts so that folks understand what's out there in terms of truth and choices and that we all have options that might be more consistent with our beliefs.

As for beating up humans or animals, well, hopefully there is no cause to do either, but yes, animals are typically defenseless against.

I too wish I had never eaten meat, but until last year I was also a meat eater. I have no wish to cast dispersion on those that do eat meat, but I do think that many meat eaters, given the opportunity to learn about the industry, might make different choices, be those difference large or small, if they truly consider the issues at hand.

As for the ord not being with me, well, I prefer to see it as some of us are simply at different ends of the same choice. :) We're all the same, for the most part, only different. :)

Guess I kinda just always figured it was common knowledge McD's was terrible for you...

So, umm yeah... making it yourself with GOOD meat is MUCH better for you. It doesn't all come from the same place.

I saw it on discovery channel that Mickey D's meat is good for you and since it was on TV I tend to believe it :laugh:

Good post RSD and I agree with you. Humans are born sinners and Id have no problem clubbin one but animals are born innocent and do deserve better.
I think it equally cruel that there are folks standing on the corner with 'homeless and hungry' signs all the while we are sending and spending billions overseas. Faces of death traumatized me at age ten or so. Seeing the cows get slaughtered like that shocked me for months. Unfortunately now though the demand dictates the method and I think it difficult if not impossible to perform mass slaughter in factories and do it humanely. Heck I cry when I see roadkill. Humans are in such a hurry they can't stop from running over poor animals. I see lots of coons and possums laid up on the median of I95 cuz they could not get over the eight foot wall :(

RSD.

Good post RSD and I agree with you. Humans are born sinners and Id have no problem clubbin one but animals are born innocent and do deserve better.
I think it equally cruel that there are folks standing on the corner with 'homeless and hungry' signs all the while we are sending and spending billions overseas. Faces of death traumatized me at age ten or so. Seeing the cows get slaughtered like that shocked me for months. Unfortunately now though the demand dictates the method and I think it difficult if not impossible to perform mass slaughter in factories and do it humanely. Heck I cry when I see roadkill. Humans are in such a hurry they can't stop from running over poor animals. I see lots of coons and possums laid up on the median of I95 cuz they could not get over the eight foot wall :(

Agreed on all points, save one.

The demand can be adjusted in many ways:

1) Source from more humane farms
2) Reduce consumption of meat
3) Elimanate consumption of meat

As the world population continues to grow, if we continue to consume meat as we do, there will be less and less food to go around, increasing the instances of "hungry" that you see both here and abroad. It takes at least 3x and up to 10 times as much plant food to raise meat animals as if we at the plant foods directly, so at some point, our consumption and/or our population will have for the simple sake of sustainability.

I can't begin to tell you how much I agree with this statement:

"I think it equally cruel that there are folks standing on the corner with 'homeless and hungry' signs all the while we are sending and spending billions overseas."

That said, we have the power to do something about the plight of the animals through our everyday choices on where we purchase our food and what food we purchase. The fact that we have no immediate opportunities to end all suffering should not keep us from considering the opportunities that we do have.

I saw it on discovery channel that Mickey D's meat is good for you and since it was on TV I tend to believe it :laugh:

Remember the documentary where the guy eats nuthin' but Mickey D's for a month.

He almost died. :laugh:

I find their food sorta disgusting but will eat there in a pinch.According to some US ORg members that came to vist me,Canaduh's McDonalds are far superior to those south of the border.???

Must be the Alberta beef.:thumbsup:

RSD.

Remember the documentary where the guy eats nuthin' but Mickey D's for a month.

He almost died. :laugh:

I find their food sorta disgusting but will eat there in a pinch.According to some US ORg members that came to vist me,Canaduh's McDonalds are far superior to those south of the border.???

Must be the Alberta beef.:thumbsup:

RSD.

I've eaten at Mickey D's in more countries than most and I can say sometimes it is better. I've just never been able to figure out whether or not it was just the fact that the food in whatever country I was in sucked or Mickey D's was really better than here? Spend a week in Bulgaria and I tell you the quarter pounder you get from the first Mickey D's you find will be like manna from heaven :laugh:
Howeve my dad lives in Cyprus and the Mickey D's as well as BK are excellent compared to here and the food in Cyprus is some of the best in the world! Just that a burger meal there is about 8 euros which by now equates to around 12 dollars! Cost me 30 to get full.....num num num. They have a quarter pounder style burger that comes in a pita there that is frickin addictive :)

Agreed on all points, save one.

The demand can be adjusted in many ways:

1) Source from more humane farms
2) Reduce consumption of meat
3) Elimanate consumption of meat

While I agree with you totally regarding 'torture' of animals I think you're being a bit naive in your desires. Please don't take that as an insult. To explain.
We used to have:
Mom and pop hardware stores now we've got Home Depot.
Mom and pop clothing stores or even a Woolworths, now we've got Walmart and super malls with 500 clothing stores.
Mom and pop car dealerships, now we've got Autonation that owns all over the USA.
I could go on but I think you get my point. Demand ie population decrees we have huge places where 1000s of animals die a horrible death daily.

Your first point , acquire from small more humane farms.
A small farm these days cannot keep up and most aren't profitable enough to support a family with kids who want to go to college.
Second point, reduce consumption of meat. Mmmm ok but what are you gonna replace my beloved burger with, Tofu ? :puke: I'm one of the people they believes you need red meat to live a healthy long life. Don't think you can grow good muscle on greens alone.
Third point , eliminate meat consumption totally. Never happen!
From the first time man got hungry he ate meat I'm sure of it. Same as we ate grass and roots I'm sure we were eating red bloody fresh meat. And then when some guy accidentally dropped a piece of meat into a fire well then the rest is history and now it's Forty Billion served :laugh:
We are a carnivorous species and the consumption of meat is ingrained in our DNA.

Now sorry but all this talk is making me hungry and I think I'm gonna go have a Virginia baked ham sammich.

Back