Factory Farming and Animal Cruelty

MelodicMetalGod

Registered
As a result of discussions in another thread (https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/149104-farm-your-fridge.html) started by another member, I am compelled to create this thread to raise awareness of the animal cruelty issues that I believe most of us would rather not support if we were fully informed on the matter.

Please, educate yourself on the matter so that you can make your own fully informed decisions.

Realize that the cruelty to farm animals is not simply the killing of animals for food. It is much more insidious than that and in the factory farming system, which provides virtually all animal products found in the average grocery store, the pain and suffering for the animals begins at birth and ends with their passing. In between they are routinely subjected to living conditions that prevent any natural life or behavior whatsoever, often mutilated for the sake of the industry, sometimes abused by callous workers but virtually always prevented from a life that is free of pain and suffering and often the killing process is less than humane as well.

Here's some ways to get started in the learning process:

Just google images for factory farming:
factory farming - Google Search
I think most of us would agree that there are plenty of images that we would find not in keeping with our beliefs regarding any animal. Meat eater or not, none of us wish to inflict cruelty on another living thing.

Visit the Farm Sanctuary website:
Farm Sanctuary | Watkins Glen, NY
This site will clearly state the issues and options to reduce cruelty to these animals for both meat eaters and non-meat eaters.

Some of the more exteme examples of factory farming cruelty to animals includes:

DEBEAKING of Laying Hens: In order to reduce injuries resulting from excessive pecking — an aberrant behavior that occurs when the confined hens are bored and frustrated — practically all laying hens have part of their beaks cut off. Debeaking is a painful procedure that involves cutting through bone, cartilage, and soft tissue.
Learn more here: Factory Farming | Farm Sanctuary

GESTATION CRATING of Sows (mother pigs): After being impregnated, the sows are confined in gestation crates – small metal pens just 2 feet wide that prevent sows from turning around or even lying down comfortably.

INTENSIVE PRODUCTION METHODS for Dairy Cows: The abuse wreaked upon the bodies of dairy cows is so intense that the dairy industry also is a huge source of "downed animals" — animals who are so sick or injured that they are unable to walk even stand. Investigators have documented downed animals routinely being beaten, dragged, or pushed with bulldozers in attempts to move them to slaughter.

INHUMANE SLAUGHTER of Cows - ""They die, said Moreno, piece by piece..."

This is detailed in an April 2001 Washington Post article, which describes typical slaughterplant conditions:

The cattle were supposed to be dead before they got to Moreno. But too often they weren't.

They blink. They make noises, he said softly. The head moves, the eyes are wide and looking around. Still Moreno would cut. On bad days, he says, dozens of animals reached his station clearly alive and conscious. Some would survive as far as the tail cutter, the belly ripper, the hide puller. They die, said Moreno, piece by piece...

"In plants all over the United States, this happens on a daily basis," said Lester Friedlander, a veterinarian and formerly chief government inspector at a Pennsylvania hamburger plant. "I've seen it happen. And I've talked to other veterinarians. They feel it's out of control."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture oversees the treatment of animals in meat plants, but enforcement of the law varies dramatically. While a few plants have been forced to halt production for a few hours because of alleged animal cruelty, such sanctions are rare.

Reaction to the Washington Post investigative piece and others like it precipitated a Congressional resolution reiterating the importance of the Humane Slaughter Act, but to date, there is little if any indication that the situation for animals in slaughterhouses has appreciably improved.

With respect to all,

Melodic

forgive me for asking....

But why did you start a new thread that is on the same issue while it was still being discussed in the other thread? This could of been posted in same thread and easier for people to follow. Now you gonna have people go back and forth between threads and comments are going to get scattered.

Thats why there is a heaven.
After a life of suffering there is everlasting peace and happiness for all creatures great and small.

forgive me for asking....

But why did you start a new thread that is on the same issue while it was still being discussed in the other thread? This could of been posted in same thread and easier for people to follow. Now you gonna have people go back and forth between threads and comments are going to get scattered.

Good question. Two reasons:

1) To possbily raise awareness among a wider audience
2) The other thread is fairly long and this info would've been buried to the extent that anyone not fully engaged in the discussion may very well not have found this post. So, in essence, in support of # 1 above. :)

Thats why there is a heaven.
After a life of suffering there is everlasting peace and happiness for all creatures great and small.

We are also to apply the golden rule in this life. All creatures should enjoy, at the very least, a life free of needless pain and suffering, should they not?

beat_dead_horse2.jpg

image.gif

:drool:

If a horse is dead is it cruel to beat it?

If rehashing the same old argument over and over is 'beating a dead horse' does that mean a new fresh never argued topic is 'beating a live horse'?

Is beating a live horse more productive?

Does that mean productivity is cruel?

I'm curious to how many meat eaters on the org would actually have the balls to slaughter their own cows for meat. Sure in a survival situation anyone would. But instead of going to the supermaket and having it prepared for you, to actually do the dirty work yourself. I promise most of you would not

I'm curious to how many meat eaters on the org would actually have the balls to slaughter their own cows for meat. Sure in a survival situation anyone would. But instead of going to the supermaket and having it prepared for you, to actually do the dirty work yourself. I promise most of you would not

Who cares?

They cut the meat so I dont have to. Thats the point of them having a job

ME!!! I have killed and butchered many animals, I am a fur trapper, hunter and n.c.a. I have slaughtered cows, pigs and even a buffalo for meat. I also have a grinder and cuber that I use for myself and anyone else how wants me to butcher animals for them. So I HAVE THE BALLS!!!

I grew up on a dairy farm. Now we where small only 130 head. We also had about 20 to 30 pigs. We never treated are animals like that. In fact I would say they where taking better care of than us. The best part was it always seemed they would give birth in the worst snow storms. We be out in the middle of the field getting the calf and bring back to the barn.

I grew up on a dairy farm. Now we where small only 130 head. We also had about 20 to 30 pigs. We never treated are animals like that. In fact I would say they where taking better care of than us. The best part was it always seemed they would give birth in the worst snow storms. We be out in the middle of the field getting the calf and bring back to the barn.

The small farm, such as the one you describe, is the way to go if one chooses to eat animal products as it provides a better life and more humane death for the animal, better health for the humans who eat those products and far less in the way various environmental impacts. However, they are also the exception, with virtually all animal products in standard stores coming from the factory farm system, which is bad for the animals, us and the environment.

One example:
Factory farms exposed in recall of half billion eggs » peoplesworld

Back