My son's recent commentary on the Liberal College's agenda

dk55belair

Registered
Not everyone will agree, but I think he is dead on it. He's running for County Commissioner here and he's 24 years old. I'm a proud parent.

UNCW promotes abortion, an alumnus speaks out by Kevin King

I was recently appalled that my alma mater, UNC Wilmington, made news headlines as far away as England. UNCW’s Women’s Resource Center caused quite the stir by hosting a series of pro-abortion films and selling “I had an abortion†t-shirts. While cloaked in the mantra of “removing the stigma†or “providing informationâ€, they were not only condoning abortion, but saying women should be proud to have one. Read more...

Here is where the train breaks down in the pro-choice community. According to Gallup, only 20% of Americans fully support abortion under any circumstance. The majority (51%) supports it only in certain circumstances, which is generally summarized as “in the case of rape and incest.†Since this is the case, to gather support for their cause, pro-choicers always cite that outlawing abortion would force women who have been raped by a relative to keep that baby, constantly reminding them of that traumatic experience. This argument pulls on the heartstrings of sympathetic Americans, the 51%, and keeps the pro-choice movement alive.
What happens though, is that they slip-up. If the argument is truly that abortion should only be used in an emergency situation of rape or incest, there’s no need for a film festival and an “I had an abortion†t-shirt. If you were raped and needed to abort your child because of the embarrassment involved, why would you wear around a t-shirt telling the general public of your life-alternating moment of humiliation? The truth is you wouldn’t, and the argument of rape and incest is just a front to keep abortion alive as a form of birth control.
The New York Times, no right-wing proponent by any means, has reported that only 1% of abortions are the result of rape or incest. That is staggering but never touted by the mainstream. More so, a study conducted by Dr. Sandra Mahkorn found that 75 to 85 percent of rape victims chose against abortion. By combining these findings, it is clear that those actual victims of rape decided against aborting the child and those who didn’t accounted for only 1% of all abortions. If abortion was actually only allowed for these special cases, the 1 million children aborted every year would drop to just 10,000.
This event at UNCW cited that 4 in 10 women would have an abortion. When you hold a week-long film series, sell t-shirts, and say that you would be among friends if you had an abortion, you are promoting it, simple and straightforward. What is happening in the pro-choice movement is the message that abortion is an honorable right of passage to womanhood. “Hey, a lot of girls your age are having abortions, so it’s cool if you want to have one too.†If having an abortion is truly a worst-case scenario, there’s no need to hold events in its honor.
Something that also points to activism versus information regarding this event is the fact that it was cosponsored by the UNCW Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Questioning and Intersex Ally Resource Center, aptly abbreviated LGBTQIA. Now why exactly is the gay community at UNCW promoting abortion awareness? Gay couples cannot procreate (at least on their own), so why the involvement? Their involvement exposes the event as liberal activism promoting a cause. Perhaps they should combine these facilities into just one Liberal Resource Center since an ideology is being promoted instead of true diversity. This would also save the taxpayers quite a bit of money. The director of Diversity makes $150,000, the director of the Women’s Resource Center makes $75,000 per year, and the LGBTGIA coordinator makes $35,000. That doesn’t take into account the student fees they use to fund their events.
If UNCW really wanted to promote “awareness†and “informationâ€, they could have held films that promote keeping the child to balance the films supporting abortion. They could have also sold t-shirts that said “I took responsibility for my actions and had the child.†Isn’t that what this truly comes down to, responsibility? College students should be aware at this point in their life how pregnancy occurs. (If they don’t, my degree from UNCW just diminished in value). When you know how pregnancy occurs, and you take those actions anyway, you must be prepared for that outcome.
The truth is, abortion is simply used as a form of birth control. The feminist movement believes that sexual promiscuity is a right and any consequences can be handled by a doctor, preferably with government funding. They are correct; it is about a woman’s right to choose. A woman has the right to choose to engage in sexual activity. What they are missing is that owning up to the outcome of that choice is not yet another choice, but their duty. With freedom comes responsibility. You are all free to make all kinds of choices, but if you’re able to make grown-up decisions, you’re old enough to take responsibility like an adult.
What is happening in the pro-choice movement is the message that abortion is an honorable right of passage to womanhood.

No rational woman WANTS to get an abortion. No one is "pro-abortion", which is what that study he sites wants to imply (perhaps "pro-choice" is what is common). It's traumatic for all parties involved, obviously more-so to the fetus/embryo. But I think that with better access to contraception and better education on the matter, the topic of abortion is a much smaller issue. But the neoconservatives want to ban both contraception and sex-ed in favor for abstinence only education, which has been a demonstrable failure.

At the end of the day, I'm pro-life, but in my ideal world, unwanted pregnancies would be so rare because of proper education and contraception that it's a rare issue altogether. Also, this is one of the only issues I can think of (I have a degree in Philosophy) that is genuinely not able to be adequately settled, mainly because we, HUMANS define what "personhood" is, or when an embryo has rights, and as long as that is the case, this issue won't be settled because it is my definition subjective. For example, "murder" is easy. Someone is objectively dead. Another person has used malice to bring about the other person's unwanted death. Black and white.

When does an embryo get the full rights of a fully grown human? That is not so black and white because you say "okay, a clump of cells has all of the rights afforded to a fully grown human", but this leads to ALL clumps of cells getting full human status, which is ridiculous. So, the A.M.A and Roe v. Wade decided that at sentience, the game tips into the fetus' favor. When it can feel pain and therefore has an aversion to harm.

I really wonder how many people who are pro-abortion have ever had a child - that's a statistic that I'd like to see. I know personally that my attitude about this changed a LOT after my daughter was born.

GREAT job by your son - his degree was not wasted!

@Lucid - You are dead wrong. - Liberals are actively in favour of abortion, for one simple reason: they can live completely immoral lives without having to deal with the consequences of their immorality, e.g. children.

I really wonder how many people who are pro-abortion have ever had a child - that's a statistic that I'd like to see. I know personally that my attitude about this changed a LOT after my daughter was born.

GREAT job by your son - his degree was not wasted!

Thanks I am with you 100% there. I know I didnt have any opinion on the matter until I watched the birth of the young man that wrote that article.

I honestly would agree that after you have children of your own, your outlook is probably altered.
Also the thread was not to debate pro-lifers against pro-choice, but to bring light to a ignorant bunch of liberals that make a joke of the whole issue.

Respectfully,

Dk

@Lucid - You are dead wrong. - Liberals are actively in favour of abortion, for one simple reason: they can live completely immoral lives without having to deal with the consequences of their immorality, e.g. children.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Well done by your son.

@Lucid, I believe the second life starts and there is conception that 'clump of cells' has a right to live.

thestupiditburns.jpg

Back