Hot weather jacket?

MeatGrinder

Registered
I have a mesh textile Joe Rocket Phoenix. I never ride without it, no matter how hot it is. Would a perforated leather be hotter to wear? I have my eyes on one...

I would think so. I have an all black ICON Motorhead jacket and that thing is HOT!!! But I NEVER GO OUT WITHOUT IT!! Yesterday here in the High Desert it got up to 114 and I still wore it. I'm actually used to it. You just gotta drink plenty of fluids before you head out. Then rehydrate every couple of hours or so.

Oh and the motorhead is not perforated.

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: "forgot to answer his ?"|1121590093 -->

Meat -
I have a JR Phoenix jacket and recently got an AGV Paddock (perforated leather/textile mesh) and I love it. I don't find it any warmer than my JR.

Just my .02

I have an Icon mesh jacket and an Icon leather burner jacket which is very heavy. I feel naked without the leather jacket and leather pants. It's not too bad until you get stuck in traffic or something. I try too ride early in the day during the summer to avoid the heat and the afternoon storms. It's cooler with jeans and the mesh jacket but you have to be ask yourself; "what do I want to be wearing while hitting the street at 100mph?"

I have the Joe Rocket textile and the Perferated Leather jacket.

The leather is about the same temp. And its alot safer!

Earthdog -do you have the Joe Rocket Blaster jacket? How do you like it. I have been looking at the Blaster and the Teknic perf jacket.

I've got one of each.......I use the leather for cooler days and long rides....the mesh for quick trips to the store.

I have a Fieldsheer Mach I Textile mesh jacket.  I rode to Vegas twoo weeks ago wearing it with nothing under it, it was 106 F.  It was hot.  Next day I rode only in my T-shirt without my jacket and I was not any cooler.  From then on I always ride with my jacket without anything under it when it's hot, much more protection then a T-shirt:;):

<!--EDIT|motorkar
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121671113 -->

I've been experimenting with this lately and here is what I've found. The mesh jackets are okay until it gets real hot, like 95+ then they don't seem to do very much to keep cool. Took a Kilamanjaro and opened all the vents so the jacket could catch all the air and let it run out through the back vent......too darn hot. Put on the perfed leather leaving the sleeves loose and guess what? I feel cooler at the higher temps due to a little sweat being able to catch the air in the leather jacket. It really surprised me to find myself actually cooler when moving with the leather vs the mesh, but I guess the mesh doesn't allow the sweat to build up enough to get the cooling effect. Just a thought, but it has convinced me, plus I get the better protection.

I've worn my Joe Rocket perforated leather (don't remember the model) 4 yrs now. It is just starting to really break in....love it.

I have thought about a mesh jacket for the really hot days, but like the others, I don't want to compromise safety...just like that leather!

Anyone that hasn't tried Underarmor..........REALLY NEEDS TO!!

I swear by the stuff. I wear both top and bottom under my mesh gear. It wicks away moisture and makes you feel COOOOL, even here in Florida. I have a knife/tactical supply guy that's a good source for it, PM me if you need his contact info.

I have both - an textile mesh and 2 perf leather jackets.

The textile mesh is the coolest of the 3 - but you give up alot of protection if you were to go down.

The perf leather jackets (Vanson and Danisee) breath really well and work well up to about 80 - 85 degrees, but after that are still really hot.

On days over 90 - I ride with the mesh textile - when its cooler I ride in the leather. Other than the armor padding, the mesh really won't offer any protection, and if you were to slid in it, the asphalt would burn through it pretty quickly.

Kent

I have an Icon mesh jacket and an Icon leather burner jacket which is very heavy. I feel naked without the leather jacket and leather pants. It's not too bad until you get stuck in traffic or something. I try too ride early in the day during the summer to avoid the heat and the afternoon storms. It's cooler with jeans and the mesh jacket but you have to be ask yourself; "what do I want to be wearing while hitting the street at 100mph?"
100? I've never been that fast. Whoa, that's fast.

We'll work on that Kevin
biggrin.gif

I had a Joe Rocket Phonix jacket I bought to use in the summer, I only wore it twice, and sold it, I didnt feel safe wearing it. I wear my J.R. perforated Blaster 2.0 in all weather. It can get a bit warm if you are sitting at a long traffic light in 95 degree weather, but once you get moving it is fine. ( and feels very safe)

I bought perfed leather after going down on my first Busa in a textile jacket. it was the joe rocket phoenix with the leather on the sleeves.the pavement eat through the part that wasnt leather or padded,but it did its job..

We'll work on that Kevin
biggrin.gif
Put the bike in SECOND gear Kevin!
jump9.gif

tex and leather... is a good combination for hot weather!! But leather is always the safest
biggrin.gif

Back